what happened to dressing properly in specialty dining?

norboy76

On 1/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, lovemylab said:

I don't think age has anything to with it.  I've seen people of all ages not abiding by the dress code/suggested attire for the restaurants.  

Agree. The worst dressed person - a man - in one of our specialty restaurants was probably our age (70s) in baggy jeans and tee.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:21 AM, clo said:

Agree. The worst dressed person - a man - in one of our specialty restaurants was probably our age (70s) in baggy jeans and tee.

Worst dressed man I've seen on a cruise:  a man in his later years who was still wearing the tuxedo he bought 20-30 years ago and is now 2 sizes too small...  If he wanted to wear a tux, he should have rented from one of those online tux rental places (the Black Tie, Generation Tux, Men's Wearhouse, etc.)  Yes, he was abiding by "the code", but he looked worse than some of the men in those khakis and polo shirts...

• Like 1

We recently were on the Adventure of the Sea. We saw 1 tux on Formal night. Most people were dressed like they were going to the grocery store or a swap meet. The girl at the next table had cutoffs with the requisite holes. Yes, the party wore different outfits during the week so their luggage was not lost.  I am at a loss of words on this subject because I try to be polite.

We were on a Disney cruise over the summer and we dressed up for their “formal night” and we were one of the only families on the whole ship that dressed up and we got stared at big time. Now, fast forward a few nights and they had “pirate night” and almost every family was participating and the number of men in a Jack Sparrow costume, complete with makeup, was shocking.

I honestly feel like if there is a dress code then it should be enforced. And as far as a tux/gown for “formal night”, they could just make it “cocktail attire”, and that has a little more breadth to it- slacks and a button down (tie/coat optional) for men and a dress or dressy pants w/top for the ladies. And then have the rest of the nights cruise casual. We are about to cruise CCL and they have two dining rooms- one with a set time and the other more “freestyle.” They could always make the one with the set time adhere to the dress code and the “freestyle” one could be more relaxed. But who knows... We tend to dress nicely for dinner every night regardless. 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:16 AM, Alatraveler1 said:

Trying not to make excuses, but when you could check up to two bags for free on airlines i would take formal wear or at least suits for nightly dining and it would take one suitcase and one garment bag.  

We travel Internationally, stay a few days pre and post cruise , often cruise for 18-19 nights and manage to pack formal clothing in one checked bag each. We take a rollaboard each as well, in case of delayed baggage. Have never packed lightly but manage everything within the 50lb limit . We don't re wear clothes either !

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 1:57 AM, lindsay0526 said:

I honestly feel like if there is a dress code then it should be enforced.  

Agree whole heartedly !!

Enforced on all ships across the fleet, in  all areas.

Then we would all know where we stand and what to pack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Agree whole heartedly !!

Enforced on all ships across the fleet, in  all areas.

Then we would all know where we stand and what to pack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know where to stand now and you know what to pack.

You can pack anything you want and you won't be over or underdressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You know where to stand now and you know what to pack.

You can pack anything you want and you won't be over or underdressed.

That’s not quite true ...several people have mentioned being asked to change from shorts to long trousers on smart casual nights in MDR!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, clo said:

I saw a photo from a formal night on a ship.  The woman had on a long, lovely dressy dress and the man had on jeans and a plaid shirt.  They were likely between 60-70.

I see a lot of SOM (stubborn old men) on our cruises.  They look really shabby:  uncut hair, uncut beards, faded tees, faded shorts, just "mowing the lawn" kind of look.  It's like they are saying, "I'm retired, so I can let all the grooming habits disappear".

My husband looks and smells appropriate at all times, or he doesn't get to spend time with me.  He will try to slide by, but when I give him the sniff test and the evil eye, he knows he's reached the limit with me.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:37 AM, Rubysky said:

We recently were on the Adventure of the Sea. We saw 1 tux on Formal night. Most people were dressed like they were going to the grocery store or a swap meet. The girl at the next table had cutoffs with the requisite holes. Yes, the party wore different outfits during the week so their luggage was not lost.  I am at a loss of words on this subject because I try to be polite.

We spent 44 nights on the Adventure last year, and saw it all!!

We consider people watching in the MDR part of our evening's entertainment.  😁

We dress to suit ourselves, which means we both wear nice clothing since we are in a nice restaurant.  Mr. Pcur has a large number of more subdued tropical shirts he wears every evening, except formal night, with matching dress slacks.  Black or beige prints, and he gets compliments especially on the prints from Fiji.  He picks up a shirt on almost every cruise.  His latest one is being worn almost every day at home, because it's a small blue/white print that looks really good with jeans.  Cruising is the same shirts, only with black shorts during the day, and dress slacks in the evening.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, pcur said:

I see a lot of SOM (stubborn old men) on our cruises.  They look really shabby:  uncut hair, uncut beards, faded tees, faded shorts, just "mowing the lawn" kind of look.  It's like they are saying, "I'm retired, so I can let all the grooming habits disappear".

This reminds me of that great quote from David Sedaris:  “Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think the issue is that what one considers "proper" has changed, and we all have a different opinion of "proper" based on venue/location and maybe even time of the year. If I'm not wearing what someone else considers "proper" that's on them, not me.

My husband and I "dress up" for dinner on a cruise, but that means khaki pants for my husband (in a shade of tan or grey), with a polo shirt or button down shirt. For me, it means, capris and a blouse or dressy tank top with a cardigan, or a wrap dress of some sort. I plan on wearing a few colorful maxi dresses on our Hawaiian cruise from Lands End and Lulus Fashion Lounge. Still comfortable, but dressier than our normal attire. He doesn't bring a suit, and I don't bring cocktail dresses.

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

I selected NCL specifically so I don’t have to wear high heals or a cocktail dress.  On vacation I want to be relaxed amd comfortable.

Do they actually specify "high heels" and a "cocktail dress"? Wow. And what, pray tell, do they define as a cocktail dress??? LOL.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:48 PM, Happycrafter123 said:

I selected NCL specifically so I don’t have to wear high heals or a cocktail dress.  On vacation I want to be relaxed amd comfortable.

Cruised Cunard last year - didn't take high heels or cocktail dresses - mainly because I own neither 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, clo said:

Do they actually specify "high heels" and a "cocktail dress"? Wow. And what, pray tell, do they define as a cocktail dress??? LOL.

Not so specified. Cunard does have a stricter dress code and it is enforced in the MDR and several lounges. It’s not for everyone and I wouldn’t want to do it every cruise, but we enjoyed going back to the old style of cruising. I’ll probably be overdressed on our upcoming RCI cruise. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm probably in the minority for my age group (mid 40's) who like to dress for dinner. Not evening gown dress but at least something other than jeans and a t-shirt. 

I guess it boils down to how you were brought up. I was brought up always getting dressed to go to Broadway shows (never going in jeans, but a nice skirt and top and a sport coat for my dad) and Friday night dinners pajamas were NOT allowed. 

I think a lot has to do with the particular line you're on - as someone posted previously. 

Our first cruise was on Princess (in my 30's with 2 young boys 3 and 6). I brought outfits for every night for everyone and found that most people on Princess did dress up pretty fancy. If not in a dress or suit (for men) they were in fancy blouses and skirts, polo shirts and slacks for men. 

My feeling is, if you want casual, go to the buffet or an early seating when most families will be there. Later seatings will have the older crowd who may dress more 'smartly'. With Norwegian, there is no "seating time" so people come and go as they please. It's harder to time when families will go, but they will generally go between 5-7. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenGirl327 said:

I'm probably in the minority for my age group (mid 40's) who like to dress for dinner. Not evening gown dress but at least something other than jeans and a t-shirt. 

I guess it boils down to how you were brought up. I was brought up always getting dressed to go to Broadway shows (never going in jeans, but a nice skirt and top and a sport coat for my dad) and Friday night dinners pajamas were NOT allowed. 

I think a lot has to do with the particular line you're on - as someone posted previously. 

Our first cruise was on Princess (in my 30's with 2 young boys 3 and 6). I brought outfits for every night for everyone and found that most people on Princess did dress up pretty fancy. If not in a dress or suit (for men) they were in fancy blouses and skirts, polo shirts and slacks for men. 

My feeling is, if you want casual, go to the buffet or an early seating when most families will be there. Later seatings will have the older crowd who may dress more 'smartly'. With Norwegian, there is no "seating time" so people come and go as they please. It's harder to time when families will go, but they will generally go between 5-7. 

Keeping my mouth closed, but maybe going for the popcorn...🙄

Things started to change with advent of "Casual Friday' at work. If you do not need to dress up for work or even church, good chance you will not on a cruise. Another issue is cost of luggage on airlines. Still, you can be casual and comfortable without looking sloppy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What you wear to dinner has nothing to do with the meal served and how posh it is.  I’ve eaten $10 a head meals and $1500 a head meals and everything between.  The $1500 was more casual dress and if anyone had shown up in a tux at that meal they would have been out of place. 

I will never understand why dressing a certain way changes the meal. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, clo said:

In your opinion, of course. LOL.

I wonder why you think an appropriate shoe is "fancy."  I wore these almost every night to dinner. Came home and threw them in the washer.

70876656_2410059302403881_6004118964160954368_o.jpg

These are fine. I have similar ones in black. They are perfectly in keeping with the dress code, even for elegant night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1