Is food more fresh during early dining in MDR... ?

VentureMan_2000

I was reading one person's Carnival ship review and he mentioned that he thought the food is more fresh during early dining in MDR.  He thought it was more over-cooked and dry during late dining in the MDR.  I know this is only one person's opinion (the reviewer), so I thought I would solicit other people's opinions.

Any thoughts ?

I've not experienced this scenario, although for the last several cruises I've had YTD... but the theory holds true that if they made a lot in advance and just kept it warm til it was served, then it would apply to later dining in YTD as well, and we definitely haven't noticed that.

I believe that they cook continuously to be able to have food ready as its ordered... or in other words, it should all be equally over-cooked, dry and cold!!!

• Haha 1

Except once when I was with a large party, I've always chosen late dining in the MDR on Carnival.  I've always had very good food and really good service.   I've also done Chef's table a few times and you get to be in the Galley while dinner is happening.  Most things were being cooked during the meals unless it's something that is supposed to be cooked a long time and prepared prior. 

Having been on several cruise lines, I find Carnival's MDR food better than some other lines.   

Edited by linga

2 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

How would this person be able to review both dining times on his cruise? He only had one or the other. Early or late. Not both. If he’s comparing experiences on two different cruises, then it’s not really comparable. 

Well, you didn't answer my question, which is what I would have preferred.  However, since you seem to be interested how someone could magically experience both dining times on a cruise... The OP said they did Your Time Dinning and thought when they ate later, the food was not as good -- dry, overcooked, etc.  They thought it was more fresh when they ate early.  

Again, I know it was only one person's opinion, which is why I'm soliciting more opinions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Well, you didn't answer my question, which is what I would have preferred.  However, since you seem to be interested how someone could magically experience both dining times on a cruise... The OP said they did Your Time Dinning and thought when they ate later, the food was not as good -- dry, overcooked, etc.  They thought it was more fresh when they ate early.  

Again, I know it was only one person's opinion, which is why I'm soliciting more opinions.

They are making more as needed so do not think there would be a difference

The galley's for the MDR typically don't have the ability to "make more as needed", which is why some items will be unavailable if people are ordering extras, though the galley staff have the paradigm down pretty well, and their projections of food usage is very good.  Food will be prepped in the afternoon, and stored in walk-in coolers in the galley.  The food for early dining will be started, en mass, at the necessary time, and the food for the late dining, again en mass, will be started after a couple of hour delay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I was reading one person's Carnival ship review and he mentioned that he thought the food is more fresh during early dining in MDR.  He thought it was more over-cooked and dry during late dining in the MDR.  I know this is only one person's opinion (the reviewer), so I thought I would solicit other people's opinions.

Any thoughts ?

Hi

Clearly, as you said one person's opinion.

To suggest that the steaks, or the seafood dishes could be prepared and held for 3-4 hours is funny. That would mean you couldn't get a "rare" steak much past 6 p.m. 😃 Perhaps the soup. 

It sounds more like a comment from someone who would have a hard time preparing something beyond a boiled egg. That would have to be a "hard boiled" egg. You wound just have to look at the trays at the buffet to understand.