Venice to Trieste? by train?

Boquete

We'll be flying in to Venice and need to get to Trieste the same day. We land in Venice at 145pm. What is the recommended way to get to Trieste? By train/trenitalia? Is it easy to get from the Venice airport to the train station and from the Trieste train station to our hotel (Savoia Excelsior)?

We use the Rome 2 rio site to give distance and cost for getting place to place.   We rented a car and drove from Venice to Trieste, it it an easy drive.  The problem I see is you will have to go into Venice and then to the train station by boat or by dragging your luggage over bridges.   If you don’t want to drive perhaps check on a bus or shuttle.  

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

The problem I see is you will have to go into Venice and then to the train station by boat or by dragging your luggage over bridges.   If you don’t want to drive perhaps check on a bus or shuttle.  

They can just go directly from the airport (Marco Polo) to Mestre station on the mainland to catch a train to Trieste. The high speed (Frecce) trains stop there after initiating in Venice proper. Much easier/quicker than going into Venice proper. 

There is a bus that runs between the airport and Mestre train station:   https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-airport-buses.htm

The trip by fast train takes from about one and a half to two hours, depending on which train you take; the OP would need to get off at Trieste Centrale (not the Trieste airport stop).  It looks like their hotel is about 5 minutes by taxi or a 15-20 minute walk from the train station.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

I'm envious of this journey as I've had my eyes on Trieste for awhile now and I think it's one of those last, special remaining regions of Italy that's still somewhat off the radar of many visitors as up off to top right of the boot, and out of the way. (From there I'd want to head to Innsbruck but then there's always another place one wants to go, because there's always another amazing place right over there in Europe...) Aoste would be another dreamy place to be. Watched a fairly ok limited series set there on Netflix or Hulu that was spectacular (Aoste!) and so...maybe I shouldn't say anything 😉

I'm sure no one can ever get enough of Italy but I'm lucky I've gotten around a bit of it. Enjoy your journey to Trieste (and Venice) however which way you go!!

Edited by Host Bonjour

40 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Aoste would be another dreamy place to be. Watched a fairly ok limited series set there on Netflix or Hulu that was spectacular (Aoste!) and so...maybe I shouldn't say anything 😉

Aosta is a place I've been looking for an excuse to visit for a few years now...due to the Roman ruins there, of course.

Do you remember the name of the series you saw?  Would love to look it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I'm envious of this journey as I've had my eyes on Trieste for awhile now and I think it's one of those last, special remaining regions of Italy that's still somewhat off the radar of many visitors as up off to top right of the boot, and out of the way. (From there I'd want to head to Innsbruck but then there's always another place one wants to go, because there's always another amazing place right over there in Europe...) Aoste would be another dreamy place to be. Watched a fairly ok limited series set there on Netflix or Hulu that was spectacular (Aoste!) and so...maybe I shouldn't say anything 😉

I'm sure no one can ever get enough of Italy but I'm lucky I've gotten around a bit of it. Enjoy your journey to Trieste (and Venice) however which way you go!!

We too love to be a little off the beaten path.  We loved Trieste.   Hordes descend on the Cinque Terre while we had a lovely walk by the sea in this area.    I think Rilke visited  that area and was inspired IIRC.  The Castle is absolutely lovely and full of history. 

I too would love the name of the series you watched.   

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Aosta is a place I've been looking for an excuse to visit for a few years now...due to the Roman ruins there, of course.

Do you remember the name of the series you saw?  Would love to look it up.

Here you go! It's called Rocco Schiavone.

https://theeurotvplace.com/2018/05/euro-tv-to-watch-riveting-italian-mystery-series-rocco-schiavone/

Filmed on location in Aosta, in the winter so it's particularly scenic. And creepy. Not for the squeamish but a great psychological thriller, bits of Hannibal Lecter with some Suburra thrown in (please tell me you've seen Suburra!) and flavor all its own.  Just wanted to give you an idea of the vibe. 

Let me know when you're ready. I've got a series set in Naples (guess the subject?) and then I've got others in Belgium, lots in Scandinavia and have you seen La Mante? French. Great. Great one from Denmark called The Protectors. Trapped is Icelandic.

NY Times has a Watching List with great recommendations for international television shows. It's where I find some, others I just scout out on my own. Helps me keep up on fluency (I like to think 😳) I like to think, as well as travel from my couch.  

Enjoy!! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations!  What is the Naples series please?   We have loved some of the British ones Shetland, Grandchester,,,,  and Wallender.   Always on the lookout for others.  Not familiar with Suburra.   We need a sticky for recommended books and series.😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks for the recommendations!  What is the Naples series please?   We have loved some of the British ones Shetland, Grandchester,,,,  and Wallender.   Always on the lookout for others.  Not familiar with Suburra.   We need a sticky for recommended books and series.😁

I can do a sticky recco for books and series....that would be fun. Suburra is awesome...season one I think was a bit better than season two but I can get picky with my television. Suburra - Blood on Rome is on Netflix and the Naples series is called Gomorrah. If you're familiar with how Sicilian sounds (Neapolitan people will hate me) the dialect is somewhat familiar sounding. The Neapolitans will say, NO, Sicilians sound more ....I don't know how to describe it. And it's different, harder to get an ear for. But I did. It was odd finding myself almost wanting to....well....if I was a character in Gomorrah, I had strong impulses towards one of the characters is all I'm saying, but then I almost know The Godfather by heart. And I come from a neighborhood where one of THE Godfathers is from. It was interesting. Sopranos I never bothered with...kind of :::yawn::: but ok enough if a lot of people haven't been around it. And most haven't. Freaky stuff. 

Allora.......not much proper Italian in Gomorrah. More in Suburra, depending upon who's speaking but it won't sound like if were in Firenze, certamente. 

I'll get on the sticky soon. Start listing your book and movie ideas. 

Oh one more. My Brilliant Friend is from an Elena Ferrante story or book and is also based in Naples!! On...Amazon.

Ciao Amici!

Sounds great!   Off the top of my head, Love Donna Leon’s Inspector Brunetti for Venice,  Marie de Blaisi,  a thousand days in Venice. Anthony Doerr Seasons in Rome.    Cabal, both a series and book.   I love going somewhere and reading books set there before or afterwards.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I can do a sticky recco for books and series....that would be fun. Suburra is awesome...season one I think was a bit better than season two but I can get picky with my television. Suburra - Blood on Rome is on Netflix and the Naples series is called Gomorrah. If you're familiar with how Sicilian sounds (Neapolitan people will hate me) the dialect is somewhat familiar sounding. The Neapolitans will say, NO, Sicilians sound more ....I don't know how to describe it. And it's different, harder to get an ear for. But I did. It was odd finding myself almost wanting to....well....if I was a character in Gomorrah, I had strong impulses towards one of the characters is all I'm saying, but then I almost know The Godfather by heart. And I come from a neighborhood where one of THE Godfathers is from. It was interesting. Sopranos I never bothered with...kind of :::yawn::: but ok enough if a lot of people haven't been around it. And most haven't. Freaky stuff. 

Allora.......not much proper Italian in Gomorrah. More in Suburra, depending upon who's speaking but it won't sound like if were in Firenze, certamente. 

I'll get on the sticky soon. Start listing your book and movie ideas. 

Oh one more. My Brilliant Friend is from an Elena Ferrante story or book and is also based in Naples!! On...Amazon.

Ciao Amici!

Love the idea of a sticky for film/books/tv series.  I've probably read more than a hundred books about or based in Italy through the years, mostly history and bios....  (Don't worry -- not all will get a mention!)

Loved the Ferrante book(s) and series. (Well, I loved the first book, the others I liked...)

I have to admit I am a bit "over" the super-gritty crime series with the inspector.detective/lead who has all sorts of personal quirks ...  They are getting a bit absurd and OTT with trying to shock viewers. Also, half of these "walking wounded" detectives would never make it onto an actual police force....  But I will give the one featuring Aosta a shot.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, bennybear said:

Sounds great!   Off the top of my head, Love Donna Leon’s Inspector Brunetti for Venice,  Marie de Blaisi,  a thousand days in Venice. Anthony Doerr Seasons in Rome.    Cabal, both a series and book.   I love going somewhere and reading books set there before or afterwards.   

Eventually, this became my go-to way to prepare for travel. I'd only then start looking at maps, etc when departure date is close so I know the lay of the land if it's my first time going someplace. 

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have to admit I am a bit "over" the super-gritty crime series with the inspector.detective/lead who has all sorts of personal quirks ...  They are getting a bit absurd and OTT with trying to shock viewers. Also, half of these "walking wounded" detectives would never make it onto an actual police force....  But I will give the one featuring Aosta a shot.

I know what you mean, things can easily become formulaic, cookie cutter, predictable, etc. Please know my standards are set rather high as in, if I'm ten minutes in and not riveted, off it goes. Scenery and location on its own aren't enough to keep me glued to the show. And you're right about the flawed detective characters, but I think that can be true about many, many characters. It's all in the writing. Humans are....flawed.

I think what I've identified in international dramas is, and it might sound like does it matter to which I'd say, yeah I think so: the subtle (or not so subtle), background music played to emphasize plot points and/or drama can be...wanting. And if that one or two bars of music isn't right, whether its the instrument, the tone, the feeling or lack thereof, then whatever is happening in the moment isn't landing. And in some shows, in spite of so-so music, or you don't notice if there's so-so music, it's that riveting.

Rocco Schiavone was alright...maybe not the best but the scenery and type of crime was not typical (though there was a serial killer in Aosta) and the characters were pretty good. Suburra had a well rounded cast and many unexpected twists and turns. Many. Gomorrah too. My bar is set high.

That said, I get that everyone has their own preferences and evaluations. I figure at least is a bit less filtering from all the listings there are on any one service trying to figure out if it's even worth trying. Who has time to waste on so-so television?

I'll work on the sticky as soon as possible or, if one of you want to start it, please go ahead and I'll pin it. Cooler days will be coming, watching/reading lists will be forming (everyone is always planning to go somewhere, I hope!) and so it'll get to be more helpful. And fun 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks Host Bonjour!   I think it will be great,  this topic seems to come up from time to time and it will be great to have one stop Shopping!  We are leaving in a week or I would volunteer to start it! 😄. Currently binge watching new line of duty before we leave , now I’ve added a few others to my list!  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, bennybear said:

Thanks Host Bonjour!   I think it will be great,  this topic seems to come up from time to time and it will be great to have one stop Shopping!  We are leaving in a week or I would volunteer to start it! 😄. Currently binge watching new line of duty before we leave , now I’ve added a few others to my list!  

Oh wow, is that the Japan trip? Looks like it's your first time to Asia and what a place to start!! I've only spent the shortest time in Japan, not by design it just worked out that way, but China, HK, Macau were fascinating. I think you'll be thrilled with the experience. Have a wonderful journey, I'll look for your posts on the Asia board, I'm on there too 🙂

I've heard of Line of Duty...I'll google it. I'll try to get the thread up soon. On a crazy deadline. Need a vacay 😆

We did the Japan Cruise in April and combined it with a few weeks on our own, it was amazing.  We would go back in a heart beat.  Miaminice did a thread with lots of photos, some of mine are on there too.  

We are off to Europe and a long med cruise.   Can hardly wait!