Cabin location question

noe4laj

We normally stay in PV1 cabin mid-ship, but for the current cruise we are looking at, the only PV1 cabin facing land is pretty far aft. Can anyone speak to noise, vibration, and/or increased movement at the back of the ship?

We’ve done 3 cruises in PV1 aft mid way. No problems with vibration or movement. The only noise we heard was when we had a cabin on deck 6 under the World Cafe outside deck. Usually around 2-3 AM we heard what sounded like chairs/tables being dragged on the deck. Probably the deck was being cleaned. Our last cruise we were PV1 on deck 5. Very quiet. 

I don't understand the question. All the PV cabins are fore and aft. None are mid-ship. Viking has placed DV cabins mid-ship on decks 4, 5, and 6.  Are you concerned about the difference between something like cabin 6072 and 6092? You won't notice anything different. As for movement, all the suites - the most expensive cabins on the ship - are extremely fore or or aft.

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

We were as aft as one could get on deck 5 and with exception of the occasional door banger next door it was silent. Great location because very few people pass your door.

Thank you. I sometimes get hit with motion sickness and worried about being that far back.

15 hours ago, noe4laj said:

We normally stay in PV1 cabin mid-ship, but for the current cruise we are looking at, the only PV1 cabin facing land is pretty far aft. Can anyone speak to noise, vibration, and/or increased movement at the back of the ship?

We were in 5101 on our West Indies cruise last year and loved it so much we booked the same room for our cruise next month.  We wanted it for our Trade Routes cruise but it was already booked, so we took the corresponding room on the other side of the ship.  It's about 4 cabins from the corner Explorer Suite.  We noticed no noise, vibration or any movement other than what you might feel in other areas of the ship. 

We found it very convenient quick trip up to the World Cafe and pools, quick trip down to the Living Room and restaurants.  Also we shared a steward with the Explorer Suite.  He told us that the more experienced stewards get assigned to that area because of the ES - bonus!

5 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

We were in 5101 on our West Indies cruise last year and loved it so much we booked the same room for our cruise next month.  We wanted it for our Trade Routes cruise but it was already booked, so we took the corresponding room on the other side of the ship.  It's about 4 cabins from the corner Explorer Suite.  We noticed no noise, vibration or any movement other than what you might feel in other areas of the ship. 

We found it very convenient quick trip up to the World Cafe and pools, quick trip down to the Living Room and restaurants.  Also we shared a steward with the Explorer Suite.  He told us that the more experienced stewards get assigned to that area because of the ES - bonus!

Thanks for the tip Cyber Kat!  Something to definitely consider (re:  the experienced stewards)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard2 said:

I don't understand the question. All the PV cabins are fore and aft. None are mid-ship. Viking has placed DV cabins mid-ship on decks 4, 5, and 6.  Are you concerned about the difference between something like cabin 6072 and 6092? You won't notice anything different. As for movement, all the suites - the most expensive cabins on the ship - are extremely fore or or aft.

While the suites are at the extreme fwd & aft extremes, these locations are still the least comfortable on the ship, for anyone afflicted by motion sickness. Many pax may not notice the movement (I don't) but the science of ship stability & movement in a seaway dictate they are the worst locations. Stabalisers reduce rolling, but do nothing for longitudinal movement (pitching)

DW is highly bothered by motion sickness, so we only book lower decks midships. A number of other issues also affect extreme Fwd & Aft cabins, especially in a significant head seaway and when operating at full speed.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, zitsky said:

Do you take anything?  Meclizine, benadryl, etc?

I take one bonine before bedtime.  Although the pharmacist says that the generate meclizine is the something--it is not to me.  Puts me to sleep and I stay asleep--all 24 hours it is suppose to be effective.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:05 AM, zitsky said:

Do you take anything?  Meclizine, benadryl, etc?

Last time I managed with just sea bands and ginger chews all but one night. I had prescription meds then, have to look up what it was. We had really smooth seas the entire trip.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, Heidi13 said:

While the suites are at the extreme fwd & aft extremes, these locations are still the least comfortable on the ship, for anyone afflicted by motion sickness. Many pax may not notice the movement (I don't) but the science of ship stability & movement in a seaway dictate they are the worst locations. Stabalisers reduce rolling, but do nothing for longitudinal movement (pitching)

DW is highly bothered by motion sickness, so we only book lower decks midships. A number of other issues also affect extreme Fwd & Aft cabins, especially in a significant head seaway and when operating at full speed.

This.

On our recent Star cruise, there was a very slight motion of the ship (enough to let one know one was on the ship).

The motion was noticeable the higher up and the more aft or forward that one was.

We traveled with two other parties that were prone to motion sickness.

Being experienced cruisers were were as low (deck three) as possible and as amidships as we could be.

It made a difference.

As an aside, I always laugh to myself about the passengers who shell out big bucks for what, in their minds, is the better location of being high and either forward or aft (especially on those lines that have their exclusive enclaves in those locations).

Come even slightly rough water, and those passengers are miserable while those of us in "steerage," as the location has been snidely referred to by some, are in good shape.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Homosassa said:

This.

On our recent Star cruise, there was a very slight motion of the ship (enough to let one know one was on the ship).

The motion was noticeable the higher up and the more aft or forward that one was.

We traveled with two other parties that were prone to motion sickness.

Being experienced cruisers were were as low (deck three) as possible and as amidships as we could be.

It made a difference.

As an aside, I always laugh to myself about the passengers who shell out big bucks for what, in their minds, is the better location of being high and either forward or aft (especially on those lines that have their exclusive enclaves in those locations).

Come even slightly rough water, and those passengers are miserable while those of us in "steerage," as the location has been snidely referred to by some, are in good shape.

One is only miserable If one is prone to seasickness.  For those of us who don’t get seasick those “exclusive enclaves” are quite lovely. We love the aft section, and I don’t usually even look at other areas. - and yes I have sailed in rough weather.  The only reason I don’t look at high decks is because I like cabins above and cabins below so I don’t have the Lido or a dance floor right above. 

Our favorite spot on a Viking ship is aft on deck 5. 

Yes, this is a good choice for you.

However, there are those glibly assure folks that the location of a cabin does not affect the amount of motion felt.

Many will learn, to their dismay, that even on a cruise with smooth water, that cabins fore or aft may still have some type of motion.