Car rental and ferry

So I am wondering about the possibility of getting a car in Tahiti likely at the airport and ferry over with car and drop off car at pier in Moorea.  I was wondering about what the cost this would be (4 days) compared to renting in Moorea at ferry pier (I suspect this is far cheaper but have to check).  Also do ferry tickets need to be reserved in advance or can we do that once we get there since time is dependent on flight?  Thanks!

The trip plan is listed below:

LAX airport hotel July 23-24

Moorea (IC): July 25-29

PG Tuamotus: July 29-August 8

Tahiti (IC): August 8-10 

LAX: August 11-12

Nice to know that ferry is just walk up and get tickets and eager to get the Moorea perspective with a beach bungalow this time. 

I think Moorea portion may catch the end of Heiva.  We really enjoyed Heiva last time.  This time coincidentally ended up coinciding with the Olympics so hopefully flight prices are still reasonable. 

8 hours ago, Notion_of_the_Ocean said:

The trip plan is listed below:

LAX airport hotel July 23-24

Moorea (IC): July 25-29

PG Tuamotus: July 29-August 8

Tahiti (IC): August 8-10 

LAX: August 11-12

Nice to know that ferry is just walk up and get tickets and eager to get the Moorea perspective with a beach bungalow this time. 

I think Moorea portion may catch the end of Heiva.  We really enjoyed Heiva last time.  This time coincidentally ended up coinciding with the Olympics so hopefully flight prices are still reasonable. 

Rent the car in Moorea  ..... Avis Pacificar is across the street from the ferry

9 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Certainly Avis is convenient. I haven't used them, but have been happy with Albert's, who pick you up from the ferry dock.

I use Albert's when on the ship but if I was land based I would pick Avis  .... so convenient and the price isn't that much more plus the cars are usually newer and in better condition .... at least IMO  ..... used both many many times over the years.

And on both Tahiti and Moorea, if you can drive a standard transmission, you will have a much easier time finding a rental car, and that includes Avis on Moorea. If you need an automatic, make a reservation and get it in writing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

And on both Tahiti and Moorea, if you can drive a standard transmission, you will have a much easier time finding a rental car, and that includes Avis on Moorea. If you need an automatic, make a reservation and get it in writing.

That is very true.  So glad we drove standards for oh, 40 years or so before getting an automatic, lol.

• 6 months later...

This is way past the expiration date for this thread, but may be helpful for someone in the future:

We have had excellent luck with EcoCar.  The flight from Honolulu arrives at 9:15 PM and they are standing in the airport with our name on a sign to take us to our rental.  Last time they met us at the pier on embarkation day to pick up the car.  Price was reasonable, car was nice enough (Dacia Logan), and the people were great!

This trip we arrive Tahiti 21 March and embark the 28th....maybe.  We will rent from EcoCar, stay in Tahiti five days then take the car to Moorea by ferry for two nights, returning on the 28th in time to return it and embark the PG.

You need reservations to take the car on the ferry!  Terevau has instructions in English. They will ask for an email giving type and size of car, so reserve the car first.....it’ll be <4.3m.

They reply very promptly. You don’t need reservations for yourselves.  

No, you can’t rent the car on Tahiti and leave it on Moorea; not with EcoCar anyway.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Candlesmith
Clarity