Chances of Freedom of the Seas getting access to the RCI mobile app after Amplified?

cr08

Subject TL;DR here. We're actually scheduled to be taking a 7 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas end of March next year right after they are supposed to finish the Amplified upgrades. Based on other ships getting their Amplified upgrades, any likelihood of this getting the FotS supported in the RCI mobile app? Specifically it'd be nice to have the messaging function as a known fallback in lieu of trying the various messaging apps out there without paying for the internet access on ship.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Unpredictable.

and the messaging portion of the RCI App is still in beta test on Harmony and Allure and not available on all ships that support the app at this time (to the best of my recollection).

39 minutes ago, cr08 said:

Based on other ships getting their Amplified upgrades, any likelihood of this getting the FotS supported in the RCI mobile app?

Welcome to CC.

App roll out to ships are necessarily tied to a dry dock. At the moment, RCI seems to be concentrating on getting Quantum class ships off Royal IQ and converting them to RCI app.

8 hours ago, cr08 said:

Subject TL;DR here. We're actually scheduled to be taking a 7 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas end of March next year right after they are supposed to finish the Amplified upgrades. Based on other ships getting their Amplified upgrades, any likelihood of this getting the FotS supported in the RCI mobile app? Specifically it'd be nice to have the messaging function as a known fallback in lieu of trying the various messaging apps out there without paying for the internet access on ship.

This may not help much directly relating to FOS, but I found this app update as of June. Looks like the messaging is currently just Allure & Harmony. Also looking at some of the others on this list, I would think FOS will be on the app for everything but chat after her Amplified drydock...

1092285035_ScreenShot2019-08-13at9_24_00PM.thumb.png.081a6132acb2d3fc14ddc58c71f842e8.png

Thanks guys. So ultimately it seems like it is a guessing game until Royal announces it themselves and very likely even when the app is supported the chat functionality likely isn't to be available in time for our cruise.

I'm the more tech inclined person in our group so I've been on the lookout for usable communication options that don't boil down to a whiteboard or sticky notes (especially given we are split between two rooms) and also don't rely on full WAN access (contrary to some of the more curmudgeony types, I do plan to take full advantage of this vacation and not be tied to tech but would greatly value a reliable and painless communication tool that we can stay up to date with each other as we roam the ship). As all of us are Android users it looks like most options are out as iMessage has been the only one that has been somewhat reliable. Hangouts may be a thing but not sure how that will fare on the FotS and haven't really seen any definite reports on the matter from other travelers.

13 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

Also looking at some of the others on this list, I would think FOS will be on the app for everything but chat after her Amplified drydock...

1092285035_ScreenShot2019-08-13at9_24_00PM.thumb.png.081a6132acb2d3fc14ddc58c71f842e8.png

Where did you find that chart?

An up to date one is being crowd sourced here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZ1gCFtt1eiX1OWw9q-8tnEU5uQCWIjBwQt-w3t040s/edit#gid=1881900306

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I was also hoping Freedom will be added to the Royal App while getting Amped/Refurbished in January.  We are currently booked to sail May, 2020 on Freedom.  Used a similar app on Norwegian Bliss last month and loved it.  RCL needs to get their ships updated on the app!