DIY Salerno

bennybear

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for what to do and see in Salerno or nearby.   We have been to Paestum,  Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello Positano, Sorrento before.  So looking for something different, as we have not visited Salerno.  Wondering if there are some nearby small towns that you could take a boat to as well.  We like off the beaten path. 

We were suppose to stop in Sorrento but the seas were high and with no room in Naples, we were sent to Salerno last September. We had reserved a local tour in Sorrento but due to the fires at the time and some road closures, they were unable to come fetch us from Salerno.

We hooked up with 2 other couples and after walking off the ship, found a bar where we met a lovely gentleman that had a friend who was a taxi driver. He called him up and he agreed to take the 6 of us to Ravello for the day. We had a lovely time but I could have stayed in Ravello longer.

We were docked in Salerno until very late at night so once we returned after our trip to Ravello, my husband and I set out on foot to explore Salerno. We ended up in an area filled with bars, restaurants and shops. We found a place to sit outside and have some wine, meat and cheese and watched the locals go by. Afterwards, we walked on a large boulevard with all the locals heading home. The church bells rang out and we stopped for some gelato before heading back to our ship. It was such a nice surprise and totally unexpected. We do like to wander on our own, drink wine, eat well and do a little shopping and perhaps some sightseeing as well. 

I would think you might be able to find a ferry boat to somewhere. I don't remember seeing them but we weren't looking out for them like we did in Amalfi.