Key West questions

Arkrockdock

Is Uber available in Key West? 

Is the butterfly farm a good place to visit? If not on a tour, what is the price of admission? 

Any suggestions for people with limited mobility? Can walk, OK but limited distance. There will be 4 of us.

Local taxis are also waiting near the cruise ship docks.  You can also use the free bus called the Duval Loop.  https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Stop 4 is right by the cruise ship docks and stop 11 is very close to the Butterfly Conservatory.  If you want some delicious French Pastries, soups or sandwiches, Le Grignote is right up the street from there.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mysparky said:

I've read on this board about renting golf carts (you need a parking pass too though).  May be a fun alternative to uber/taxis

Everyone likes different things, but I’m not a fan of the gulf carts.  They are still exposed to the outdoor conditions and you will have to deal with the same parking restrictions as a car.  By the time you rent one and pay to park, you can easily cover a couple taxi or Uber rides around town.

If you do decide to rent one, be sure to get an electric one.  Many of the gas powered ones are very noisy and spew fumes making it not very pleasant to drive around in. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, keywester33 said:

Local taxis are also waiting near the cruise ship docks.  You can also use the free bus called the Duval Loop.  https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Stop 4 is right by the cruise ship docks and stop 11 is very close to the Butterfly Conservatory.  If you want some delicious French Pastries, soups or sandwiches, Le Grignote is right up the street from there.  

Thank you for the link to the Duval Loop bus!  Looks like that will be a good thing for us to start our day with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 7:24 PM, keywester33 said:

WOW !! It amazing how much info your are giving me for planning this family trip to Kew West. I have been before and walk around and did the little train thing once but now wanted to do something different with our family but not to much walking as the range from 60 to 87 years.

The DuvalLoop sound perfect especially if we could disembark near Southermost point and walk to the Butterfly conservatory.

Can you tell me how long would the walk be and is there a stop from the loop that would stop at the Aquarium as well ?

Thanks again

Sea ya

Eric

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nimiq said:

WOW !! It amazing how much info your are giving me for planning this family trip to Kew West. I have been before and walk around and did the little train thing once but now wanted to do something different with our family but not to much walking as the range from 60 to 87 years.

The DuvalLoop sound perfect especially if we could disembark near Southermost point and walk to the Butterfly conservatory.

Can you tell me how long would the walk be and is there a stop from the loop that would stop at the Aquarium as well ?

Thanks again

Sea ya

Eric

Happy to help.  

If you look at the map,  https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus ,  stop 10 is a block from the Southernmost Point.  From the Southernmost Point, you would walk east one block to Duval Street, go left, and the Butterfly Conservatory is about 1/2 block up on the left.

The aquarium is about a block from stop 4.  It is right near the cruise ship docks.  From the Butterfly Conservatory you can walk 1/2 block north on Duval and catch the Duval Loop at stop 11 at United Street and take it all the way back up to stop 4 at the aquarium.

if your party gets tired, or doesn’t want to wait for the bus, an Uber is under $10 for up to 4 people anywhere in Old Town.  Enjoy your visit!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:04 PM, zebra said:

Wonderful news! Thanks for this info keywester33.  Is the bus stop (#4) pretty close to the dock?

Yes, stop 4 is close the docks at Mallory Square and Pier B.  It is also close to the drop off and pick up point for the shuttle if you dock at the outer mole pier.  

On 9/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, nimiq said:

WOW !! It amazing how much info your are giving me for planning this family trip to Key West.

As a former local, I can assure you keywester33 provides very sound advice.  Enjoy your trip. 😊