Muster Stations Assistance

2Scots

We are on the RCI Radiance and my mother who is sight impaired and uses a walker will need assistance to her Muster Station. Our cabin a few down from hers is a different Muster Station. How will she get assistance for the Muster?  Can we change since our cabin is about 8 down on the same Port side as hers. she is in an accessible cabin as well.

Thoughts and prior experiences are appreciated.

2 hours ago, 2Scots said:

We are on the RCI Radiance and my mother who is sight impaired and uses a walker will need assistance to her Muster Station. Our cabin a few down from hers is a different Muster Station. How will she get assistance for the Muster?  Can we change since our cabin is about 8 down on the same Port side as hers. she is in an accessible cabin as well.

Thoughts and prior experiences are appreciated.

My suggestion may not be perfect, but I think it would work and probably be the easiest. Since you are on Royal Caribbean, they are one of the nicest in regards to the disabled. Chances are that your mother's muster station will be the one closest to the door leading to the elevators. I would suggest that you check in with your normal station and advise them you would like to stand with your mother at her station (assuming it would be the one closest to the doors accessing the elevators) to assist her. I was on Royal Caribbean when they started letting the disabled escape the muster a few seconds before the mob in an effort for the disabled to reach the elevators first. If you are not already aware, there is no mercy at the elevators. Yes, there are many that are very considerate and willing to wait their turn, but please do not rely on manners. I went into a state of shock when a long legged man physically stepped over my scooter to get in the elevator ahead of me as I was entering the elevator.  I stopped, but wish that I would have kept going.  

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

Something to know: Royal does not require handicapped persons to go to their specific muster station if it is outside.  They can sign in at any station or at the designated HDC station.  If you want to join your mother at her station, just go to your assigned station, let them scan your card then go to your mother's station.  I most strongly recommend early arrival at the muster stations to ensure a seat.  Take something to occupy the time before and after and stay out of the the onslaught of rushing (sometimes rude)people.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, raindropsalways said:

Chances are that your mother's muster station will be the one closest to the door leading to the elevators. I would suggest that you check in with your normal station and advise them you would like to stand with your mother at her station (assuming it would be the one closest to the doors accessing the elevators) to assist her.

My suggestion is to go to Guest Services as soon as you board. They may be able to change your mother's station to an inside station, were she can sit. They may also allow you to stay with her.

No disrespect to raindropsalways but we have done 16 cruises, staying in an accessible cabin each time, and only once or twice has our muster station been closest to the elevators.   

they will not 'change'  your official muster  station.  HOWEVER they WILL allow her to   do muster at the  special needs  station.  typically this is the theater.  ( you can also join her there, although you need to  double and triple check your cabin number is recorded..voice of experience)  

not sure what special accommodations they have for  vision impaired( you can always ask at GS whether she can view it in the cabin where she can get an unimpeded view)

• Like 1

Have you contacted Royal's Access Department?    (866) 592-7225     They will definitely need to know about her sight impairment.  Ask what they suggest about the muster station.

Also, waiters will read the dining menus upon request. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/hearing-visual-disabilties

Thank you all for the replies. Waiters have read the menu to her in the past which was very very nice. I'll also check with guest services once on the ship.  She is registered as a disabled person who may need extra assistance when I cannot be there to assist. We have always had great service for her on RCI so I do expect that this time in September will be no different. 👍

Royal is great, they will accommodate you. All you have to do is ask. You didn't hear this from me, but talk to her room attendant, explain the situation, and ask if she can remain in the room. Then take her room key and go to her muster, saying she forgot her card, and you got it for her.   Please don't flame me, my wife is a stroke survivor, and I know how difficult the muster drill is for her.