Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

On 10/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, mitsugirly said:

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an AMAZING photo of the over under! Now that's what I'm always trying to do but it's so hard to capture what you want. Every time I do it, there's hardly ever any fish in the area I am in (because having to stand up and watch the waves moving on the camera and snapping it at just the right time. I amazed by this pic!!! Thank you so much for sharing. It made my day and makes me want to continue to try more!

How do you like your TG5? I wonder how different it is from mine. I've been thinking about getting another for backup and considered the TG5. Are there any special options on it as far as the built in programs?

You seriously just made my day with this pic.

Thanks Kim!  Your compliments just made MY day!  I've used my TG5 on 3 cruises and that was the best over/under photo that I've taken... I actually have an 8x10 print of that photo framed on the wall in my living room.  The key is to be in calm water when you can stand with your feet on the ground, and I've only encountered that perfect water in French Polynesia where there shallow lagoons with tons of fish and very clear water. 

I love my TG5 and I'm very happy with the photos it takes.  I never owned the TG4 but from what I can remember of the research I did between the 2 cameras, the only difference was the TG5 has a fog-free lens and maybe the speed of the videos?  If you want a second camera, or one for you and one for Sakari, then the TG5 is a great choice.  If you want it as an upgrade for your TG4, I'd say wait until the next generation comes out because the TG4 and TG5 are very similar.  I got my TG5 two years ago in summer 2017 when it was first released, so hopefully the TG6 isn't too far away from being released.

Kim, I’m glad you’re hanging in there and dealing with the pain and boredom as best you can. I’m not sure what is worse for you, the pain, or the boredom from having to spend so much time in bed! I suspect that for someone who is normally as active as you are it might just be the boredom!  😱

I can tell you from experience that physical therapy is a wonderful thing. Yes, it does hurt some. It is also what it takes to get you back on your feet and functioning again the way you want to. I have spent a fair amount of time in PT myself over the past few years with my two hip replacement surgeries and my two knee replacements, done in one surgery. I was really afraid to stand on my leg with the first hip replacement because of all the pain I had before the surgery, and knowing what the surgeon does to you in order to do the surgery. I didn’t go through those surgeries to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, so I swallowed my fears and did as I was told. Yes, sometimes it really hurt. The replacement parts are not as good as the undamaged original parts once were. However, these days I’m scuba diving, ziplining, parasailing, and doing a lot of the fun things I was hoping to be able to do. While there are a few things I’m not going to try - think bungee jumping with a bungee cord tied to my ankles 😱 - I can do so many other things that I really don’t miss the ones that aren’t such a good idea for me any more. When I go see my ortho, he gets a big kick our of hearing what I’ve been up to on the replacement parts he gave me. I still do the exercises my PT gave me because they keep me strong and the replacement parts working properly. I can tell the difference when I slack off too much. It happens sometimes, so I get back on the exercise bandwagon again. 

If if you want to see manatees, Central Florida is a great place to see them. Winter, during our cooler weather is best because they swim inland into the springs which stay at about 72 degrees all of the time. Manatees don’t handle cold well, so the springs are full of them during cold weather.

Your picture today is me diving diving in Grand Cayman after all my surgeries were completed. Proof to you that recovery really does happen. It will for you, too! You can do it, and you will do it! 

6D14C469-EA34-40F9-965C-221FDACC8499.jpeg

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness, Kim! I can’t believe what you have been and are going through!! Im

praying for you. To go from the high of the cruise to this is just awful, though I guess writing the blog may have at least provided a distraction in recovery. I sincerely hope you will be healed in time to take a MUCH needed cruise this winter or spring! Thank you for sharing your updates, and please continue. As others have said, you have so many of us fans around the world caring about you and rooting for you. Take care, and good luck in PT! 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, lovemycruisetoo said:

I’m sure on behalf of all the silent followers, we thank you for updating so quickly when you read about our concerns.  I find it hard to go a day without checking in to see how you are and if anything changed. I leave Tuesday on a 10 day cruise and will not have internet except at ports but I will find a way to check in.

Feel better and watch that Gabapentin, it’s a doozy. I was on 2700 mg a day for my MS neuropathy until I decided it was really not helping with the nerve pain but making me feel weird. I stopped it and just learned to live with the neuropathy pain which definitely isn’t fun.  Hope yours goes away. 

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Wow 10 days. Very nice!!! It touches my heart to know that you would even think to check in while you are on vacation. 🥰

2700mg a day? Yikes! 😮 I thought my 1800mg a day was bad. I think my body has gotten used to it now and I'm not having the "funny" feelings anymore. So, I guess that's a good thing. Although with taking it only 3x a day (which ends up being every 8 hours or so), it's not doing anything for the pain in between. 😞

On 10/4/2019 at 3:50 PM, bren61 said:

Kim,

The Oasis will be @ Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ from May 10th - October 31st 2020.  We usually stay on Staten Island @ the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn & Suites and they have a free shuttle to the port in the morning (15 minutes).  It is also very convenient if you plan to go to Manhatten for the evening, the hotel is just a short shuttle ride to the free ferry.  If you aren't planning on going to the City it would make more sense to just get a hotel in NJ. 

The Oasis 7 Night Perfect Day Bahama Cruises itinerary is...Orlando, CocoCay, & Nassau.  Like I said, not an exciting itinerary, but a great opportunity to try the Oasis Class Ship w/out having to fly, unless in your case, you may have to, but your kids could drive.  

Just a heads up if you ever do 2 cruises on different ships with 1 day in between on Royal Caribbean.  Crown & Anchor will pay for your hotel stay and transportation between the 2 cruises (just not your pre-cruise stay).  Not a lot of people know that, but I am glad that someone passed that info on to me before we did our Oasis/Allure cruises with one day between.

I hope this has been helpful and hoping the planning of your next cruise will keep your mind off of all of the unfortunate things that have been going on with you.  Hang in there and hopefully each day will get better for you.

Brenda

Eh, I was afraid you would say it was a Bahama cruise. Itinerary Orlando....I just gotta laugh at this. How is that a "port" stop when Orlando isn't even close to the port and who would attempt to go to any place like Disney and so on with the traveling time, mass crowds and lines at those parks and then the travel time back. The prices to get into any of them are outrageous and I have no idea what the cruise lines even charge for something like that. Just plain crazy. I really don't care for Nassau either. Blah But Coco Cay....hmmm. It would most definitely be a cruise for the ship only for me.

I really wish I could plan my next cruise...however, there's just too much uncertainty with my leg and when I'll be walking again and other future surgeries, that I just have no idea when cruising will be in my future to even begin to plan anything. 😞

On 10/4/2019 at 9:52 PM, mets07 said:

Just want to say I am a runner and would go completely out of my mind if I was in your position....  (and even if I was not a runner). 

God bless and may you get better so you can get on a 🛳️ in the not too distant future. 🌻🌷🍹🍸.

Yea, I'm pretty sure my sanity went out the door about 8 weeks ago. This is for the birds!

On 10/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, dreamer976 said:

Hello Kim!  So happy that you’re hanging in there, even though the pain, tingling and other unfortunate consequences of your injury must JUST SUCK!!!

I must also be a cheerleader for an Oasis class cruise, no matter how uninteresting the ports may be (although RCI’s new Perfect Day is being reviewed as very WOW).  For me, that class of ship is like nothing else at sea, and IS the destination. I’ve done Oasis once and Symphony once. Currently 4 ships in the class, with 2 more coming. I know that you and your family cruise for the beach, snorkeling and diving, but Oasis class has the highest caliber entertainment also, some of which, especially on Symphony, will leave your jaw hanging open (YMMV, but I doubt it!)

Yes, Royal Caribbean, as well as Celebrity, cruises a few ships out of Port Liberty,Bayonne, NJ. I’ll be leaving next Tuesday for a cruise commencing on the 10th aboard Anthem of the Seas for a 9-nighter up into New England and Canada, which for me is a “fall colors cruise”. Did it once before with my late husband and weren’t able to see the colors at their peak, but it seems now that we’ll be pretty close. BTW, we’ll be spending our 2 nights pre-cruise in Elizabeth, NJ at Embassy Suites. Saw your review and pix of that property on Trip Advisor ... thank you very much! 😉

Also want to let you and bren61 know that I’m pretty sure that RCI stopped paying for the hotel and transportation for those “not quite BTB” cruises a few years back. 

Ellen

What is the "perfect day"?

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Anthem OTS. Someone has mentioned that Canada "falls colors cruise" and how beautiful it is...but what is there to do at the ports?

So glad my review was helpful and I hope you have a wonderful stay at Embassy Suites.

Thanks for the info on the BTB and RCI. I'm not sure i would have been able to swing a BTB with them anyhow. They are much more expensive than the other cruise lines.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, Arzeena said:

Yes you are correct.

They used to in the old days, but not any more.

Good to know.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Arzeena said:

Hi Kim!

Hope you are feeling better day by day.

It's coming along...and thanks.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:05 PM, 17cruisesnsl said:

The Oasis will be @ Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ from May 10th - October 31st 2020. 

Kim, 

Cape Liberty is almost directly across the NJ Turnpike from Newark Airport.   You probably circled right over it when you landed in Newark to  leave from Manhattan to Bermuda.   For our last few Bermuda cruises, the Celebrity Summit and Anthem have been in Port  Liberty at the same time as NCL BA was berthed in Manhattan.     Lots of local hotel options with port shuttles.   Look under Elizabeth, NJ as the airport straddles Newark, Elizabeth and Bayonne.  Lots of other cities close to the port. 

As a nurse, you know PT can be brutal but finding a good PT is like finding the right surgeon-- they get amazing outcomes.  My first job as a new grad hospital administrator  back in the 1980s was in a well respected rehab hospital where I saw amazing results from good physical therapy.    And every PT I've known, has no fear,  and won't hesitate to call an ortho and tell him/her if the plan of care is too aggressive.

As I had written you previously,  I had my trimalleolar fracture in 8th grade with follow up surgery in high school.    I wish the ortho had sent me for PT as I think it would have prevented some of the long term issues I have, not in the ankle I fractured, but with the other one, likely from favoring the broken one and not applying pressure evenly when relearning to walk.  I still remember the fear of putting pressure on that foot -and I had none of your complications!

Best of luck with the therapy.   Prayers and good wishes.   I find thinking of planning a next cruise is great therapy for almost any situation. 

Angela

I don't really have a choice about the PT. They are all part of the same ortho group that I am going to and located in the same building. I already have my order for them at that location. So, hopefully they are good. I made my first appointment just now and I start next week. Eeekkk!

Both my son in law and neighbor did not do PT and it took them both about 7-8 months to fully be able to walk on their foot all the way and "normal". I'm hoping for better results and quicker...but we'll see. They didn't have the complications that I had nor did they have to have a 2nd surgery....let alone a 3rd (which I'll have to have again in 2 months).

Thanks for the good luck wishes and prayers.

If only I could plan another cruise for therapy. Things are just too up in the air to plan anything at this point.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:50 AM, fayfam said:

We are booked on the Sky Princess to Western Caribbean. We changed back and forward between NCL Breakaway and Sky Princess at least 2 times but settled on the 4th January sailing as it works out better with our holidays. I work in a school so this is our summer holidays before school starts again at the end of January. We have combined the cruise with visits to Disneyworld, Graceland, Las Vegas and Disneyland. Just hubby & I this time as the last two times we brought all the family with us to Disneyland (all in their 20’s).

Take care and heal well. I hope you cruise in the near future when you are able to. You will definitely need a change from the 4 walls you are looking at most days. 

Kerry 🙂 

I have never heard of the Sky Princess (or is this Princess cruises and the name of the ship is the Sky?). I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I definitely need a change of scenery at this point! I love my house (have done a bunch of renovations prior to this fracture) but staring at it 24/7 has got me hating it now. LOL

On 10/6/2019 at 12:35 PM, Shaded Lady said:

@mitsugirly I hope that your foot and the wound continues to improve... I'm sure you're sick of the war stories by now, but I'll add one more in the hope that it will help you to feel positive about the eventual outcome.

12 years ago I had achilles surgery, non-weight bearing for 8 weeks post-surgery. The first day after the operation, I was trying to transfer from my walker to the recliner, it started to tip and I ended up putting my full weight on the bad foot. Wow was that painful! But worse, I developed a hematoma (Kim knows what that is, but for the rest of you, it's a particularly nasty blood bruise at the site of the incision). The achilles tendon healed fine, but the hematoma took MONTHS! The incision was really nasty to look at and they finally had to do skin grafts to repair the damage.

But the bottom line was that once I started PT, it was really painful but it helped a lot with the blood flow, so the swelling and numbness was greatly reduced and the incision finally started to heal. All in all, it took 4-5 months to see decent results but by the 6 month mark I could walk without pain and I have no residual issues to this day. 

So as others have said, your therapist shouldn't let them start PT that could hurt you, but when it does start, it will hopefully help a lot!

No, not sick of them at all. It helps to know what others have been through. I hear some of these stories and feel your pain and others I think wow, maybe I'm not so bad off after all. So great to hear that after that 6 month mark you were pain free. My son in law still to this day has pain and a lot of swelling on certain days and you can see the hardware (screws) in his foot on the surface. It's been 10 months now since his fall.

I have my first appointment next week and it is to evaluate my situation. Then they will advise and schedule the rest of my appointments (which is supposed to be 2x a week).

22 hours ago, deladane said:

Thanks Kim!  Your compliments just made MY day!  I've used my TG5 on 3 cruises and that was the best over/under photo that I've taken... I actually have an 8x10 print of that photo framed on the wall in my living room.  The key is to be in calm water when you can stand with your feet on the ground, and I've only encountered that perfect water in French Polynesia where there shallow lagoons with tons of fish and very clear water. 

I love my TG5 and I'm very happy with the photos it takes.  I never owned the TG4 but from what I can remember of the research I did between the 2 cameras, the only difference was the TG5 has a fog-free lens and maybe the speed of the videos?  If you want a second camera, or one for you and one for Sakari, then the TG5 is a great choice.  If you want it as an upgrade for your TG4, I'd say wait until the next generation comes out because the TG4 and TG5 are very similar.  I got my TG5 two years ago in summer 2017 when it was first released, so hopefully the TG6 isn't too far away from being released.

I don't blame you for making a print of that picture. I would have done the same!

Wait....what? The TG5 has a fog free lens????? Are you serious? This is constantly my problem when I'm going from inside (with a/c on the ship) to outside in the heat....but only when I have my fish eye on. I'm constantly having to remove the fisheye and wipe it, put it back on, then try my pic again. It happens when I'm snorkeling too. I may have to upgrade just for that reason.

I'm definitely going to look into getting one. If I do, I'll use my TG4 as a back up. My old camera (I think it's a 630) took a crap on us this past cruise and Sakari's screen was broken during one of her camping trips for school so she can only use it "above water".  So, we definitely need another camera in the family. I guess I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for all the info.

9 hours ago, perfect match said:

Kim, I’m glad you’re hanging in there and dealing with the pain and boredom as best you can. I’m not sure what is worse for you, the pain, or the boredom from having to spend so much time in bed! I suspect that for someone who is normally as active as you are it might just be the boredom!  😱

I can tell you from experience that physical therapy is a wonderful thing. Yes, it does hurt some. It is also what it takes to get you back on your feet and functioning again the way you want to. I have spent a fair amount of time in PT myself over the past few years with my two hip replacement surgeries and my two knee replacements, done in one surgery. I was really afraid to stand on my leg with the first hip replacement because of all the pain I had before the surgery, and knowing what the surgeon does to you in order to do the surgery. I didn’t go through those surgeries to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, so I swallowed my fears and did as I was told. Yes, sometimes it really hurt. The replacement parts are not as good as the undamaged original parts once were. However, these days I’m scuba diving, ziplining, parasailing, and doing a lot of the fun things I was hoping to be able to do. While there are a few things I’m not going to try - think bungee jumping with a bungee cord tied to my ankles 😱 - I can do so many other things that I really don’t miss the ones that aren’t such a good idea for me any more. When I go see my ortho, he gets a big kick our of hearing what I’ve been up to on the replacement parts he gave me. I still do the exercises my PT gave me because they keep me strong and the replacement parts working properly. I can tell the difference when I slack off too much. It happens sometimes, so I get back on the exercise bandwagon again. 

If if you want to see manatees, Central Florida is a great place to see them. Winter, during our cooler weather is best because they swim inland into the springs which stay at about 72 degrees all of the time. Manatees don’t handle cold well, so the springs are full of them during cold weather.

Your picture today is me diving diving in Grand Cayman after all my surgeries were completed. Proof to you that recovery really does happen. It will for you, too! You can do it, and you will do it! 

6D14C469-EA34-40F9-965C-221FDACC8499.jpeg

I honestly think not being able to get out or do anything is the worse. But then again, I get out when I go to the doctors and I've been a few other places like the grocery store and I really pay the price when I do go out...even for a little while, and I come home to a swollen foot that won't go down and the pain increases 10 fold.

Wait, you did what?!? Both hip and knee replacements at the same time????? Are you serious? My hats off to you if I was wearing one but geeze! Now I feel like a baby with my 1 leg and ankle. I can't even imagine all of that. I need to count my blessings and stop being a cry baby now. Wow. You must be super woman!  You definitely give me hope! How long was it before you were diving again? That's the one thing that is really getting to me. Knowing that if and when I make it on another cruise...will I be able to dive on it? My love for that has grown so much now that it doesn't freak me out anymore and to have to cruise and not be able to dive one of the ports is going to just kill me. It really worries me since this is my ankle and I have to have that to "kick" with the fins. Ugh 😞

Thanks so much for sharing your story. These stories help me out a lot and put things into perspective. I know it's a long journey, but one I have to have in order to get back to my normal self.

Love the pic!

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Oh my goodness, Kim! I can’t believe what you have been and are going through!! Im

praying for you. To go from the high of the cruise to this is just awful, though I guess writing the blog may have at least provided a distraction in recovery. I sincerely hope you will be healed in time to take a MUCH needed cruise this winter or spring! Thank you for sharing your updates, and please continue. As others have said, you have so many of us fans around the world caring about you and rooting for you. Take care, and good luck in PT! 

Thank you so much. Yes, writing my review and uploading it onto my cruise website definitely helped me get my mind off the pain. However, it also made the review go super quick and then I was left with....nothing. LOL

My daughter (Kendra the oldest) is really trying to talk me into going somewhere for Christmas break. She said a cruise or to Disney or anywhere...just to get out of here. She just doesn't seem to understand that I can't fly anywhere with blood clots and I'm not willing to drive. It makes me sick and dizzy to drive any more than 2 hours if that. I just can't handle it anymore. Then there's the fact that I'm due for another surgery in December. I will have recovery time again. 😞 I just can't see a future vacation at Christmas break in my future at this point.

11 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I have never heard of the Sky Princess (or is this Princess cruises and the name of the ship is the Sky?). I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I definitely need a change of scenery at this point! I love my house (have done a bunch of renovations prior to this fracture) but staring at it 24/7 has got me hating it now. LOL

Yes it’s a new Princess Cruises ship due out this month. We love both NCL & Princess but found Princess a lot cheaper for the same cruise, same day. We are not drinkers so weren’t worried we missed out on an alcohol package with NCL.

Be careful if you head to Disneyland.  Even in a wheelchair the chances of someone knocking your foot are high. We took our daughter (24) to Disneyland in 2017 while in a wheelchair with many fractures in her arm and we were guarding it constantly.

Take care and I hope your healing goes well xxxx

Kerry 🙂 

Perfect Day (at Coco Cay) is the moniker for the redeveloped private island in the Bahamas. From what I’ve been reading, it’s a beach day on steroids and includes a water park (that they charge for), the supposed largest swimming pool in the Caribbean, (or is it just the Bahamas? 🤔), quite a few different food venues, some of which carry an extra charge as well and several different beaches and areas where there are various types of cabanas available to rent (from $$ to $$$$$). The reviews I’ve read have all been positive, the pictures are amazing and there are some cruises available with 2 stops at Perfect Day. 

As for what what is available to do at the various ports on a New England cruise, it’s mostly sight-seeing as the whole region is quite picturesque, think hilly to downright mountainous, littered with lighthouses!  Our first port, Boston, is also rich with American history. There is also, of course, one of my favorite pastimes no matter where in the world I am ... SHOPPING! 

Take care, Kim, and I look forward to checking in upon my return to read all about how much improvement you’re experiencing 😉

Ellen

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, mitsugirly said:

After dinner we asked Sakari if she wanted to go to the kids club or back to the room. We had planned on heading to the casino for a little bit. She decided she'd go to the kids club for awhile. I gave her permission to check herself in and out. Now on NCL, when you check in, you have to be there 2 hours before they'll allow the child to check themselves out. This worked out good for us because she went at 8:30pm and the kids club ended at 10:30 (unless you wanted to pay for nightly sitting). So I told her we'd head to the casino for awhile and check back on her to see if she wanted to leave earlier than her 2 hours and we'd pick her up.

Now since it was her first night, I went with her so that she'd have a smooth transaction of getting used to signing herself in/out. Then the kids club worker ask me "And where will you be tonight?"   Um...say what? Why does this matter? I know in the past, when they are younger they always ask where you'll be in case anything happens and they can get in touch with you. Well, if she's signing herself in and out....I'm not usually going to be there to tell you where I'm going to be...so once again, why does this matter? We weren't planning on staying in any one particular place but would be at the casino for the most part.

First off I am late to the party but will catch up with the show soon enough.  Secondly, your kiddo is getting so big.  No more little one with the mermaid tail at the beach anymore.  Reminds me of my little one as I go back though cruise blogs and see how she has grown.  Lastly, I thought the same thing on Norwegian Sun last week when they wanted to know where we planned to be the entire night.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, mitsugirly said:

Ok, so I spent the rest of the day yesterday in so much pain and crying I couldn't function. I have never experienced pain like that before. Thank goodness I was able to get some rest and I'm feeling much better (at the moment) and time to continue with the review.

So, here's our room. We picked an interior this time around and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the room! It wasn't your typical interior you usually find on other ships (where you walk in and you are in a small hall that leads to the room). With this room, you walk in and it is completely open and it seemed like it had much more room than you normally get with an interior. I loved walking in and having that space right as soon as you go in. I wish all the interior rooms were like that.

P8040088%20copy-L.jpg

Wow. I am surprised they had the bed on the wall like that and not out of the ceiling.

Kim, I don’t know if anyone has already mentioned this, if you have any dental procedures, including teeth cleaning, in the future be sure to call your dentist and have him prescribe an antibiotic for you to take before your visit.

The day after I had teeth cleaning my ankle began to swell up again.  Long story short after a couple of doctor visits it was determined I had a staph infection.  I underwent surgery to have all the metal removed from my leg and ankle last week and I am now on a six week program of daily antibiotic doses to kill the staph infection.  Currently I'm looking forward to having the wound vacuum removed this coming Friday.

9 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Kim, I don’t know if anyone has already mentioned this, if you have any dental procedures, including teeth cleaning, in the future be sure to call your dentist and have him prescribe an antibiotic for you to take before your visit.

The day after I had teeth cleaning my ankle began to swell up again.  Long story short after a couple of doctor visits it was determined I had a staph infection.  I underwent surgery to have all the metal removed from my leg and ankle last week and I am now on a six week program of daily antibiotic doses to kill the staph infection.  Currently I'm looking forward to having the wound vacuum removed this coming Friday.

Definitely let your dentist know that you have 'parts' inside you now, for any future dental appointments.

I think you're correct that Christmas may be too soon for a cruise or a trip, but (personally) I think April 11th is the perfect time for you to get back into cruising, on a trip out of Los Angeles on a John Heald cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It will allow you to see the ports available (even if you can't fully participate, John Heald is a hoot, and it should be a blast, and I can finally meet yout!.  Seriously, consider it, as it will give you something to look forward to, a new adventure, and a goal to use during your upcoming PT. Still praying for a full recovery, both physically and financially. Hope your WC attorney fights for you as much as you fight for your family. Sending loving thoughts, and here's a pic we took on a Whale Watching adventure in Cabo San Lucas, (one of the ports on the April 2020 cruise) that I turned into my splash page on my ipad. It was taken sometime before 2013, but lost the original pic. 

IMG_0001.PNG

On 10/7/2019 at 2:06 PM, mitsugirly said:

I honestly think not being able to get out or do anything is the worse. But then again, I get out when I go to the doctors and I've been a few other places like the grocery store and I really pay the price when I do go out...even for a little while, and I come home to a swollen foot that won't go down and the pain increases 10 fold.

Wait, you did what?!? Both hip and knee replacements at the same time????? Are you serious? My hats off to you if I was wearing one but geeze! Now I feel like a baby with my 1 leg and ankle. I can't even imagine all of that. I need to count my blessings and stop being a cry baby now. Wow. You must be super woman!  You definitely give me hope! How long was it before you were diving again? That's the one thing that is really getting to me. Knowing that if and when I make it on another cruise...will I be able to dive on it? My love for that has grown so much now that it doesn't freak me out anymore and to have to cruise and not be able to dive one of the ports is going to just kill me. It really worries me since this is my ankle and I have to have that to "kick" with the fins. Ugh 😞

Thanks so much for sharing your story. These stories help me out a lot and put things into perspective. I know it's a long journey, but one I have to have in order to get back to my normal self.

Love the pic!

Seems like I didn’t make myself clear. I didn’t mean to cause confusion. No, I didn’t do all four joint replacements at once! If any doctor offers you that, all I can say is find a different doctor! Only way that would likely ever be done is if you completely destroyed all four joints in an accident, and even then they would spread the surgeries out some if they could. 

Here’s how it actually happened:

October 2010 - left hip replaced

June 2015 - left hip replace

June 2012 - broke right arm with muscle, tendon, ligament, & nerve damage (I was busy taking pictures, not watching where I was going! Hint - don’t do that!) Just a little extra excitement to add to my surgery schedule. Lots of OT involved. I could not use my right arm at all, and yes, of course I’m right handed.

December 2015 - both knees replaced. Both knee surgeries were done at the same time.

One difference between what you are going through now and my surgeries is that I was fortunate enough that I didn’t have any complications. No infections or any other problems. The hip replacements were pretty easy for me, especially the second one since I’d already done PT for the first one. I did as much as I could to strengthen the muscles in my right leg before that surgery. I think I waited about 6 months before diving after the first hip replacement and about 3 months with the second. With the knees, I booked a cruise that was 6 months out from my surgery date, but only snorkeled to that cruise. That went well, so following that cruise, I did a few easy dives here in Florida, and that went well, too. I do want to mention that I had full clearance to dive from both my doctor and my PT, and they both knew what diving involves since they are both divers themselves. Also, I would not dive if you’re still on pain meds. 

Your recovery timeline line will probably be much different than mine was because you still have more surgeries to deal with. Keep an open line of communication with both your doctor and your PT as to what your goals are once you have recovered from your injury. If they know what you are hoping to be able to do once you’re back on your feet again, they may be able to work some exercises into your therapy plan that will help you to reach those goals. 

I’m sure full recovery seems like it is about a million miles away right now, but you will get there. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time. Once your infection is all cleared up and you are truly into recovery, that’s the time to start planning a cruise or whatever you’d like as a reward for all the hard work you will have put into your rehab. Then, use that trip, or whatever you choose as a motivator to keep you going during the tough times in rehab. That worked like a charm for me!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, albertamom said:

SO sorry about your accident!  I went through something very similar in January, and can tell you first-hand that you will be just fine!

Post-surgery: IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.925edb3bf3c053e7c74606176f8f7be7.JPG

20 days later on our Panama Canal cruise! IMG_1870.thumb.jpg.a470f5af8f5555b664bc7632bf468252.jpg

The iwalk 2.0 is the very best invention:

https://iwalk-free.com/product-introduction/

I got mine from Amazon, and traipsed all over the ship and took excursions in every port!

Luckily, at my 2 week post-surgery check-up, he gave me an air cast, so I could then fly and take it off for showers.  Before that, I used a garbage bag and elastic band to cover the cast and showered sitting down.  😬

Sending you lots of positive thoughts!  You've got this! 😃

Sherri

Wow!, We are 11 days out for our next cruise and my friend broke her foit and ankle. Her physician has cleared her for travel, but she will be unable to bear any weight on her foot at all.

It would be great if thus was a solution for her. How did you hear about this? Did your doctor recommend it? Were you able to use it for the entire cruise? And did you feel safe using it on wet decks of the ship (did it seem to be slip resistent?)

On 10/7/2019 at 3:19 AM, perfect match said:

I have spent a fair amount of time in PT myself over the past few years with my two hip replacement surgeries and my two knee replacements, done in one surgery.

This is where I thought you meant that you had them all done at the same time. Now I understand that you were referring to the knees only. Sorry for the confusion.

11 hours ago, perfect match said:

Seems like I didn’t make myself clear. I didn’t mean to cause confusion. No, I didn’t do all four joint replacements at once! If any doctor offers you that, all I can say is find a different doctor! Only way that would likely ever be done is if you completely destroyed all four joints in an accident, and even then they would spread the surgeries out some if they could. 

Here’s how it actually happened:

October 2010 - left hip replaced

June 2015 - left hip replace

June 2012 - broke right arm with muscle, tendon, ligament, & nerve damage (I was busy taking pictures, not watching where I was going! Hint - don’t do that!) Just a little extra excitement to add to my surgery schedule. Lots of OT involved. I could not use my right arm at all, and yes, of course I’m right handed.

December 2015 - both knees replaced. Both knee surgeries were done at the same time.

One difference between what you are going through now and my surgeries is that I was fortunate enough that I didn’t have any complications. No infections or any other problems. The hip replacements were pretty easy for me, especially the second one since I’d already done PT for the first one. I did as much as I could to strengthen the muscles in my right leg before that surgery. I think I waited about 6 months before diving after the first hip replacement and about 3 months with the second. With the knees, I booked a cruise that was 6 months out from my surgery date, but only snorkeled to that cruise. That went well, so following that cruise, I did a few easy dives here in Florida, and that went well, too. I do want to mention that I had full clearance to dive from both my doctor and my PT, and they both knew what diving involves since they are both divers themselves. Also, I would not dive if you’re still on pain meds. 

Your recovery timeline line will probably be much different than mine was because you still have more surgeries to deal with. Keep an open line of communication with both your doctor and your PT as to what your goals are once you have recovered from your injury. If they know what you are hoping to be able to do once you’re back on your feet again, they may be able to work some exercises into your therapy plan that will help you to reach those goals. 

I’m sure full recovery seems like it is about a million miles away right now, but you will get there. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time. Once your infection is all cleared up and you are truly into recovery, that’s the time to start planning a cruise or whatever you’d like as a reward for all the hard work you will have put into your rehab. Then, use that trip, or whatever you choose as a motivator to keep you going during the tough times in rehab. That worked like a charm for me!

You mentioned doing as much as you can to strengthen the muscles in your leg before surgery, I think my leg muscles were pretty strong (hubby always says they are....I mean our scuba in Coki was TERRIBLE with the current and very hard to kick so much that the hubby gave up and had to be pulled back, but I kept going.) But now, there is absolutely no muscle in it...or that's what it looks like. My leg is so skinny and it just flab's and hangs down like there's nothing there. It looks bad. There's going to be a lot of building that muscle back up for me.

I will definitely tell my ortho and PT about my activities with snorkeling and diving.

I'm going to need a big reward once this is over with.

11 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Definitely let your dentist know that you have 'parts' inside you now, for any future dental appointments.

I think you're correct that Christmas may be too soon for a cruise or a trip, but (personally) I think April 11th is the perfect time for you to get back into cruising, on a trip out of Los Angeles on a John Heald cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It will allow you to see the ports available (even if you can't fully participate, John Heald is a hoot, and it should be a blast, and I can finally meet yout!.  Seriously, consider it, as it will give you something to look forward to, a new adventure, and a goal to use during your upcoming PT. Still praying for a full recovery, both physically and financially. Hope your WC attorney fights for you as much as you fight for your family. Sending loving thoughts, and here's a pic we took on a Whale Watching adventure in Cabo San Lucas, (one of the ports on the April 2020 cruise) that I turned into my splash page on my ipad. It was taken sometime before 2013, but lost the original pic. 

IMG_0001.PNG

Wow that's amazing....Sakari's Spring Break is actually that date!! I love John Heald. I follow him on fb and he's hilarious. I would love to cruise with him on there. I'm just not sure about the Mexican Riviera. I booked that once and after talking to so many people on here, I decided to cancel and go back to the Caribbean. I was told the water is very cold compared to the Caribbean and snorkeling wasn't as good. With it being April, I would think it's even colder. I'm also freaked out a little about such a long flight there and the pricing. I hate flying all day and it hurts my back a lot just being on the plane for several hours flying to Florida. But, I've heard all about those whale watching excursions and know it's something that's on my bucket list.

What ship is it and I'll take a look at pricing?

Thanks for the healing thoughts. My lawyer is definitely fighting for me. They had a court date set for the end of this month and he rescheduled because it was a quick 15 minute time frame and he wants a trial with 60 minutes and a court reporter to catch her in a lie. Also wants me on the "stand" (not really a stand since we will just be sitting there) to tell my side of the story and him asking me questions. So, fingers crossed.

21 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

So this is every time from here on out? I used to have to do that because I have MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and they had to prescribe antibiotics every time before I had any work done and then a few years ago they said studies showed that it really wasn't needed and they stopped doing that.

Oh gosh, sorry to hear about your infection and recent surgery. Wow, that's crazy. I hope you have a speedy recovery. My doctor has me on antibiotics for 4 weeks. Thank goodness I didn't have to have the wound vac like they thought I might have to. Good luck on Friday.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:25 AM, lcookie said:

Wow. I am surprised they had the bed on the wall like that and not out of the ceiling.

Most of my cruises the beds are on the wall and not the ceiling.

NCL Star

room2-600x450.jpg

NCL Dawn

P6050044%20copy-600x450.jpg

NCL Jade

P2200189%20copy-600x450.jpg

Carnival Fascination

P8151045%20copy-600x450.jpgP8151046%20copy-600x450.jpg

I could go on but you get the picture. Almost all of our rooms have been pull down from walls unless it's a balcony or a room with a sofa bed.

Edited by mitsugirly

22 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Very good advise. For many of us we have dentists who always ask the question about surgeries etc and will give an antibiotic at the time of the dental procedure. 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, lcookie said:

First off I am late to the party but will catch up with the show soon enough.  Secondly, your kiddo is getting so big.  No more little one with the mermaid tail at the beach anymore.  Reminds me of my little one as I go back though cruise blogs and see how she has grown.  Lastly, I thought the same thing on Norwegian Sun last week when they wanted to know where we planned to be the entire night.

She is getting so big. Almost as tall as me. She's like a mini teen now. Yep, she's still a mermaid and takes her tails everywhere. I'm honestly not looking forward to the day she thinks she's too old for them. I love watching her swim with them. She's so good (it's not easy to do...Kendra and I have tried it).

On 10/8/2019 at 3:23 AM, dreamer976 said:

Perfect Day (at Coco Cay) is the moniker for the redeveloped private island in the Bahamas. From what I’ve been reading, it’s a beach day on steroids and includes a water park (that they charge for), the supposed largest swimming pool in the Caribbean, (or is it just the Bahamas? 🤔), quite a few different food venues, some of which carry an extra charge as well and several different beaches and areas where there are various types of cabanas available to rent (from $$ to $$$$$). The reviews I’ve read have all been positive, the pictures are amazing and there are some cruises available with 2 stops at Perfect Day. 

As for what what is available to do at the various ports on a New England cruise, it’s mostly sight-seeing as the whole region is quite picturesque, think hilly to downright mountainous, littered with lighthouses!  Our first port, Boston, is also rich with American history. There is also, of course, one of my favorite pastimes no matter where in the world I am ... SHOPPING! 

Take care, Kim, and I look forward to checking in upon my return to read all about how much improvement you’re experiencing 😉

Ellen

It definitely looks like a beach day on steroids!!! Holly Cow! It looks amazing. It's funny this was brought up. Kendra is sitting here texting me about a cruise on the Allure to Coco Cay and I showed her a picture.

So are some of the venues for food free? Have you heard if there's any snorkeling from any of those beaches? The kids would have an amazing time there. It would probably just be a beach and pool day for me. I don't think I'd be up to anything more at that point. Do they charge for anything else like the water slides? I really want to go there now!!!

On 10/8/2019 at 2:15 AM, fayfam said:

Yes it’s a new Princess Cruises ship due out this month. We love both NCL & Princess but found Princess a lot cheaper for the same cruise, same day. We are not drinkers so weren’t worried we missed out on an alcohol package with NCL.

Be careful if you head to Disneyland.  Even in a wheelchair the chances of someone knocking your foot are high. We took our daughter (24) to Disneyland in 2017 while in a wheelchair with many fractures in her arm and we were guarding it constantly.

Take care and I hope your healing goes well xxxx

Kerry 🙂 

That's awesome they are cheaper. I haven't tried Princess yet or looked into them. We are not big drinkers...unless we get the drink package for "free" on NCL...and even then I wouldn't call us big drinkers. So, we can take it or leave it.

I've been to Disneyland so many times that I have no desire to go back unless Sakari ever requested it...which she would rather go to Universal. However, I wouldn't even want to head to any of them on a cruise. I think that's just crazy and you barely have enough time to do everything if you have a full day let alone it being just a stop during a cruise. I don't know about that unless it's an extended port time.

Alrighty now...it was ortho doctor day today.

So, they removed my stitches today and man was that painful in certain areas and before and after the removal....they cleaned it with alcohol   😲😭😤 OUCHIE! Several places started to bleed during removal, but after she cleaned it again, the bleeding subsided. These techs/aides/Medical Assistants...whatever they are, along with the doctor and PA are so rough with everyone. I actually asked every staff member that has came in to whoop my leg/ankle around and bending and applying dressings, applying the boot or anything, "Have you ever had this done before?" and out of everyone, no one has been through this except one said they broke their arm. Well, if you haven't been through this, you have no idea the pain I'm in and especially with this non-healing side and 2 surgeries....try to be a little more gentle with your patients!!! That's one thing I have always done...put myself in their shoes and imagine the pain someone is in...especially when I worked in the ER and did wound care or applied casts to people. JUST BE A LITTLE MORE CARING AND GENTLE!!! GEESH! The only staff members that have been extremely gentle with me there in the office is the xray techs.

So after me fanning the heck out of my ankle and waiting on the doctor to come in, the burning subsided and I could relax again. My doctor has been very concerned that my foot may be too plantar flexed (think pointed foot and toes out) but didn't think it was to the point that it has become a significant contracture and it was due to the pain. I AM able to bend my foot (at the ankle) back and forth (it's just painful due to the swelling and the open wound and not the actual surgery or in the ankle area). I pulled my foot up in the position (flat) that he has been wanting and painfully held it there until he came so that when he walked in, he would see this isn't a problem for me...it just hurts.

The doctor came in and said everything was looking good. It is still somewhat swollen, bruised, red, and oozing. He wants me to stop using the Adaptec dressing and start just doing nonstick pads. If the drainage or pain gets worse, I am to call him. I let them know I was off the pain meds and only taking Gabapentin at this time. He stated because of the redness and oozing, he was going to prescribe me another 2 weeks of antibiotics (for a total of 4 weeks on them). He also told me I DIDN'T have MRSA. I had MSSA (Methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus) which is great and treatable with regular antibiotics, which is why he didn't do IV antibiotics. I was so relieved that I heard him wrong. 

So now...he says my actual fractures are healed. No worries about walking on it. He said for me to start applying pressure of about 25% today, using crutches, and increase daily and within 5 days he wants me walking in the boot WITHOUT the crutches. I informed him he may be doing another ankle surgery because I am just terrible on the crutches and so off balance that I can just imagine applying weight to my ankle AND trying to keep my balance on crutches is going to go. Trust me, I've tried the crutches off and on. But, here we go.....I got home and I've been using the crutches and trying to apply some weight...OUCH!!!! It hurts across the top of my foot like always. I just think it's so stiff and I can't bend it past that and it has nothing to do with the hardware. This is where PT is going to help. I let him know I have an appointment for assessment next week and he was glad.

I guess the other problem is with taking the blood thinners, I have developed several of the side effects from the meds. Pain in the arms and legs, including muscle pain: I have noticed (when using crutches) my arms get pain and feel very weak.I can't go very far without them hurting. My affected leg aches with pain from the bottom up to my hip and that's when I'm just laying there. Dizziness and Weakness: Yep, that about sums it up for me. I feel so weak all the time and dizzy at times as well. This provides a few complications when trying to walk and balance myself as well.

But, I feel like I have hope now. I'm honestly looking forward to this PT. I know it's going to hurt and it's going to be a long road to recovery. This appointment brought new hope to me as much as I was dreading it, I'm feeling good! I'm feeling like this is the start of my next process in recovery and I kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't felt this excited since this whole process.

Tomorrow is a new day and I have an appointment with my PCP to evaluate the blood thinners and we'll see where that is. I have no idea what they do to evaluate me being on them. I don't know if she'll do blood work or schedule another ultrasound to see if they are still there or what.

So here are a few updated pics.

Right after suture removal:

59231895112__A51FDE90-33C8-4719-B30B-5CB

My healed side (there is an area that still continues to hurt...which is the bumpy area you can see where it looks somewhat bruised and I feel like I can feel the hardware sticking out there).

IMG_0714-M.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly
  • Like 2

Thank you for the update-really appreciate you doing this.  I cringe at the photos but also appreciate a visual.   I hope from now on things go smoothly (I know pain will still be involved though) and no further complications.  Continually thinking of you.  

11 hours ago, KAGeorge said:

Wow!, We are 11 days out for our next cruise and my friend broke her foit and ankle. Her physician has cleared her for travel, but she will be unable to bear any weight on her foot at all.

It would be great if thus was a solution for her. How did you hear about this? Did your doctor recommend it? Were you able to use it for the entire cruise? And did you feel safe using it on wet decks of the ship (did it seem to be slip resistent?)

Hi there!  Your poor friend.  This would be perfect for her!  I discovered it by researching online.  My mom has a friend who is a surgeon, and she used one during surgeries after she broke her ankle!

It is especially great because you can do stairs, and it leaves your hands free, as opposed to crutches.  You don't set any speed records, though.

The only time I felt unsafe was when we passed through the buffet one day.  I had a couple people bang my foot (which sticks out behind you), and I stepped on some sort of food item, which made the peg leg really slick!  I was glad to have DH there to hold onto.  That was our last trip to the buffet.

Best of luck to you and your friend.  She'll rely on you for help, but will be absolutely fine.  It's all about the attitude.  Go and have fun!!! :classic_biggrin:👍

• Thanks 1

What an ordeal! It does look much better than before. A few years ago my Achilles tendon ruptured. The worse pain was when they were taking an mri of my calf/foot area because they had to bend it a certain way and it had to stay like that for a while. Ouch! I hope you are on your way to feeling a little better every day that passes!

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

So are some of the venues for food free? Have you heard if there's any snorkeling from any of those beaches? The kids would have an amazing time there. It would probably just be a beach and pool day for me. I don't think I'd be up to anything more at that point. Do they charge for anything else like the water slides? I really want to go there now!!!

Right now there's only one food venue at CocoCay where you pay for anything and all they really have is wings and bar food.  The buffet and snack shacks are available to everyone.  Your drink package also DOES work on the island (my biggest complaint with Harvest Caye).  You can snorkel off of the beach area as well.  There's a couple of kiddie splash areas that are included with the island. The waterpark does have an additional cost.  They have several slides, an "adventure" pool and a wave pool in there but no lazy river.  

Royal has invested a lot of money into the island and it shows.  But it's also great that can make a day of it there without spending any additional money which is pretty cool, but I would never take a cruise JUST for CocoCay.  

Hi Kim - so glad to hear you have, indeed, turned the proverbial corner!! 👏👏

Thank you AshleyDillo for replying about The Perfect Day at Coco Cay.  As I had mentioned, I haven’t been there as of yet, but have read nothing but glowing reviews on CC so far.  So, free food-yes, snorkeling, yes BUT don’t know if they also offer snorkeling excursions to places extra special. As far as water slides, don’t know if there are any at all in the pool area, but you DO have to buy tickets into the water park area. They also offer a “ride” in a tethered helium balloon. If you were to go and we’re to do the balloon thing, I can only imagine the pictures you would take; you are such a talented photographer with a good eye. 

Lastly, my girls only group are currently ensconced in the Embassy Suites, as the weather outside is not conducive to going over into the city. Weather tomorrow, when we sail, looks even worse!😩😩. Usually, if I pack a warm coat and an umbrella, I’ve never had to use them. Didn’t work this time, I’ve already used both. Oh well, it could be worse, something my “poor me” meter often fails to register. 

Continue to improve ... and that’s an order!!😘

Ellen

Oh my gosh Kim, I'm so sorry for everything that you and your family have been going through over the past year!  I hopped on here a couple of days ago, after not getting on Cruise Critic at all for months and read about your ordeal.  I'm glad that it looks like you are finally healing, although I wish you luck with the continued recovery and rehab ahead.  Also, stalking your wonderful reviews once again as we've booked a cruise out of San Juan for New Years.

9 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Wow that's amazing....Sakari's Spring Break is actually that date!! I love John Heald. I follow him on fb and he's hilarious. I would love to cruise with him on there. I'm just not sure about the Mexican Riviera. I booked that once and after talking to so many people on here, I decided to cancel and go back to the Caribbean. I was told the water is very cold compared to the Caribbean and snorkeling wasn't as good. With it being April, I would think it's even colder. I'm also freaked out a little about such a long flight there and the pricing. I hate flying all day and it hurts my back a lot just being on the plane for several hours flying to Florida. But, I've heard all about those whale watching excursions and know it's something that's on my bucket list.

What ship is it and I'll take a look at pricing?

Thanks for the healing thoughts. My lawyer is definitely fighting for me. They had a court date set for the end of this month and he rescheduled because it was a quick 15 minute time frame and he wants a trial with 60 minutes and a court reporter to catch her in a lie. Also wants me on the "stand" (not really a stand since we will just be sitting there) to tell my side of the story and him asking me questions. So, fingers crossed.

The ship is Panorama, Carnival's newest. It hasn't actually launched yet; it's going to start in Los Angeles in December. The pricing right now is pretty good. There are some swimming with Dolphin adventures that Sakari might like, but you're right, the water will be a bit colder than you're used to. Several ports offer Whale Watching, in fact that pic I posted was from a trip out of Cabo San Lucas. Also, the cruise is Sat-Sat, so you may be able to squeeze a day at Disney and/or Universal Studios if you are interested. 

Glad to hear you seem to have a good lawyer. Never stop fighting for what's right. Also, make sure your lawyer knows all about the shady stuff she does; who knows where that might lead. Best of luck, Kim!

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

So now...he says my actual fractures are healed. No worries about walking on it. He said for me to start applying pressure of about 25% today, using crutches, and increase daily and within 5 days he wants me walking in the boot WITHOUT the crutches. I informed him he may be doing another ankle surgery because I am just terrible on the crutches and so off balance that I can just imagine applying weight to my ankle AND trying to keep my balance on crutches is going to go. Trust me, I've tried the crutches off and on. But, here we go.....I got home and I've been using the crutches and trying to apply some weight...OUCH!!!! ....

.... I have noticed (when using crutches) my arms get pain and feel very weak.I can't go very far without them hurting.

But, I feel like I have hope now. I'm honestly looking forward to this PT. I know it's going to hurt and it's going to be a long road to recovery. This appointment brought new hope to me as much as I was dreading it, I'm feeling good! I'm feeling like this is the start of my next process in recovery and I kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't felt this excited since this whole process.

Kim, I wonder about trying to walk on your foot while pushing your wheelchair, instead of crutches. Or maybe a walker. Just a thought, if it would not hurt as much trying to juggle the crutches and your balance. 

I'm so happy that you can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's been a long time for you in the shadows.