Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

Thank you everyone for the continued support and show of caring and healing thoughts. You don't know how much this means to me.

Today I have been "practicing" walking. I have accomplished being able to walk with only 1 crutch and no crutch on the right side (the bad side). However, I can only apply pressure on the heal of my foot. I know you are supposed to practice walking heal to toe, but I have no range of motion to bend across the top of my foot yet so applying the heal down and trying to "go to the toe" doesn't work for me and has a lot of pain. I know that's where doing PT is going to help with being told what exercises I can do to improve that ROM. But for now, I'm making process. 🤩  (At least in my eyes). My PT appointment can not come quick enough next week!

• Like 14

On 10/9/2019 at 1:54 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Right now there's only one food venue at CocoCay where you pay for anything and all they really have is wings and bar food.  The buffet and snack shacks are available to everyone.  Your drink package also DOES work on the island (my biggest complaint with Harvest Caye).  You can snorkel off of the beach area as well.  There's a couple of kiddie splash areas that are included with the island. The waterpark does have an additional cost.  They have several slides, an "adventure" pool and a wave pool in there but no lazy river.  

Royal has invested a lot of money into the island and it shows.  But it's also great that can make a day of it there without spending any additional money which is pretty cool, but I would never take a cruise JUST for CocoCay.  

That's awesome to hear the drink package works at Coco Cay.

When you say snorkel off the beach...like anyone know how good or what to expect? Have there been any reports yet? I need to head over to the RC board and check it out.

Phooey on the additional cost for the waterpark. Is it reasonable?

On 10/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, dreamer976 said:

Hi Kim - so glad to hear you have, indeed, turned the proverbial corner!! 👏👏

Thank you AshleyDillo for replying about The Perfect Day at Coco Cay.  As I had mentioned, I haven’t been there as of yet, but have read nothing but glowing reviews on CC so far.  So, free food-yes, snorkeling, yes BUT don’t know if they also offer snorkeling excursions to places extra special. As far as water slides, don’t know if there are any at all in the pool area, but you DO have to buy tickets into the water park area. They also offer a “ride” in a tethered helium balloon. If you were to go and we’re to do the balloon thing, I can only imagine the pictures you would take; you are such a talented photographer with a good eye. 

Lastly, my girls only group are currently ensconced in the Embassy Suites, as the weather outside is not conducive to going over into the city. Weather tomorrow, when we sail, looks even worse!😩😩. Usually, if I pack a warm coat and an umbrella, I’ve never had to use them. Didn’t work this time, I’ve already used both. Oh well, it could be worse, something my “poor me” meter often fails to register. 

Continue to improve ... and that’s an order!!😘

Ellen

When I read about the tethered balloon, I thought eh, not something I would probably do because we (including Sakari) have done that several times over the years here at home when they had the big balloon festival. (She didn't care for it too much because of the heat). But, then you just had to mention the pictures....ugh, that alone would make me want to do it for the review. Man the things I do just to get good pictures for the reviews I do. LOL

Sorry to hear about the weather and hoping that your cruise is going better with good weather ahead!

On 10/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, GimmeAdventure! said:

Oh my gosh Kim, I'm so sorry for everything that you and your family have been going through over the past year!  I hopped on here a couple of days ago, after not getting on Cruise Critic at all for months and read about your ordeal.  I'm glad that it looks like you are finally healing, although I wish you luck with the continued recovery and rehab ahead.  Also, stalking your wonderful reviews once again as we've booked a cruise out of San Juan for New Years.

If you have certain ports you are visiting, don't forget you can always go to my website too and everything is listed by ports and easy to find. 🙂

On 10/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

The ship is Panorama, Carnival's newest. It hasn't actually launched yet; it's going to start in Los Angeles in December. The pricing right now is pretty good. There are some swimming with Dolphin adventures that Sakari might like, but you're right, the water will be a bit colder than you're used to. Several ports offer Whale Watching, in fact that pic I posted was from a trip out of Cabo San Lucas. Also, the cruise is Sat-Sat, so you may be able to squeeze a day at Disney and/or Universal Studios if you are interested. 

That sounds great. I will still look them up and see what my options are.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

Kim, I wonder about trying to walk on your foot while pushing your wheelchair, instead of crutches. Or maybe a walker. Just a thought, if it would not hurt as much trying to juggle the crutches and your balance. 

I'm so happy that you can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's been a long time for you in the shadows. 

I've been pushing my wheelchair around with my foot (while sitting in it) but wouldn't trust pushing it or leaning on it while standing behind it to walk. I would probably flip over. I don't have a walker, which they asked me about. But I'm getting the hang of using the crutches a little more now that I know that it's ok to put my injured foot down and it helps me balance a little better. I'll get there.

20 hours ago, happicruzer said:

I needed to wash the love bugs off my car (usually get them in Florida but this time they loved in South Carolina). I had the hose pretty well out of danger until the landscape company arrived.  To prevent the hose being shredded I moved it.

Two steps later I stumbled over that one inch high piece of rubber.  Your injuries immediately flashed through my mind.  I then made sure the hose was moved and never once did I attemptto walk over it.

By the way, you mentioned not drinking water.  I’m not a fan of water - but know it’s needed by the body.  I found if I put a glass on the table near where I settle, the water level in the glass drops.  The more days that go by, the more water I end up drinking.

Best wishes for your recovery and will be interested in the tattoo you come up with to cover the scars.  Just looking at the variety of scar tattoos should keep you busy for a month or two.  Think fish, dolphins, whales, starfish or even an octopus.

get well soon.

Oh gosh, I'm glad you didn't trip over the hose. I'm going to be extra careful with my hose from now on too. There's been plenty of times it has tripped me up, but I didn't fall.

I'm getting a little better with the water thing. I've been getting in a few glasses a day and then I go to bed with a glass. While it's not 64oz of water a day, I would estimate around 30+ daily, which is a BIG improvement for me. 😉

Kim

Making progress is good news !

Good to hear the blood clots have disappeared and the one remaining is getting smaller.

Way to go with increased drinking - water I mean !😉

Do you like seltzer ? I can down a one liter bottle a day plus some glasses of regular water to get to the 64 ounce goal. Trying to get my A1C down to the 5. something range. It is 6.0 . I am determined not to go on type2 meds. Cutting down on carbs is a challenge, but you gotta do what you gotta do.😳

Thinking about traveling in December is a good sign for you. Just planning something for the future can lift a person’s spirits ! 👍

Oh Kim, finally a light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t think of a better prescription than planning a well deserved cruise in December. Enjoy! 

As Dory says “Just keep swimming”. 😎

I haven't been on CC for several days and just stopped back to see if you had any updates posted.  I am so happy to see the last couple and it really sounds like things are starting to head in the right direction for you.  It's about time!  🙂  I probably won't be on CC for a couple of weeks since we're going to FL (driving) and hitting a beach for a few days and then meeting up with friends to stay at their timeshare.  Another 50th birthday celebration.  Last year NOLA was the destination.  So glad that PT is coming up and hoping that by the time I get back that you'll be well on your way.  Thank you for keeping us posted.  Still keeping those good vibes and juju your way.

Holly

On 10/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, mitsugirly said:

When you say snorkel off the beach...like anyone know how good or what to expect? Have there been any reports yet? I need to head over to the RC board and check it out.

Phooey on the additional cost for the waterpark. Is it reasonable?

Snorkeling there is just something to do.  The reports I have heard is that it's not great.  They may offer excursions that take you out to better locations, but it is easy to do right off the beach.    CocoCay is located very near NCL's Great Stirrup Cay..you can see their island from CocoCay.  

The waterpark is pricey..sometimes you can luck into a decently priced waterpark cabanas that includes 6 passes to the waterpark..but the single day passes are all over the board in pricing.  You have to stalk the cruise planner nearly daily and hope to land the best price possible.

• Like 1

1. So first of all I havent read all of this review cause I wanted to say WELCOME BACK!!  Your name jumped out and I was YES a review!! I cant believe how big Sakari is!! omg what are you feeding her! last time we corresponded she was having ear issues everytime she flew,  I have to say everytime i see mermaid ANYTHING i think of you (please this isnt creepy   Ok going back to read the rest - 

Kim, here’s a link to Twangster’s post with pictures he took while snorkeling at Coco Cay.  I think he may have more snorkeling  pictures from there in another of his reviews, but these are the ones I found right away. These were taken after the recent renovations there. I have some prior to the renovations, but a lot of mine were taken in an area that I don’t think you can access any more. Twangster does mention that the water was more cloudy the day these were taken. I remember the water being more clear as well. 

Go go to page 2, post 47 for the snorkeling pictures.

Edited by perfect match

So happy to hear your good news at last.  I have resolved the next time my puny 75 y.o. self stars thinking, "woe is me," to say to that self, "go read Kim's story again and count your blessings."   I also walked all the way around the car at the gas station last week to avoid stepping over the hose.  No telling how many folks you have saved from gas hose tripping.   Thanks for your report.  Hope you continue to improve.

Carolyn in Texas

3 hours ago, globrcircler said:

I also walked all the way around the car at the gas station last week to avoid stepping over the hose.  No telling how many folks you have saved from gas hose tripping. 

So true! I was getting gas over the weekend and almost stepped over the hose, but stopped myself, as your injury quickly came to mind. It’s awful that this happened to you but by sharing your story, you truly have prevented others from possible injury. We can’t thank you enough ❤️

• Like 1