Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

Good news,Kim !

Looking forward to a Christmas cruise should lift your spirits and motivate you to keep making progress.

I am sure your family is looking forward to a much needed change of scenery.

There will be many CC folks that will be looking for your postings about your Escape adventure !

Kim, I'm so happy that you are on the mend. A cruise should do you a world of good. When I cruised after I had recovered from a broken ankle, I took a blow up beach ball and used it to prop up my foot when I  sat on my balcony.  That helped a lot with the swelling.  Dianne

Edited by Hatteras51

15 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I DID IT....I BOOKED A CHRISTMAS CRUISE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Be looking for adventures of a new kind...Mitsugirly and family tackles the Escape with a bum foot/leg/ankle and a wheelchair. YIKES!!!

Yay! That's great Kim! I've been 'stalking' your posts lately to see what you decided, lol.

You and the family certainly need this!

Glad to see such good improvement in your mobility - keep up the good work!

16 hours ago, JoeTec said:

Yay!!!!! I am so happy for you! Can't wait for the review

Thanks

16 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so well and that you have a Christmas cruise booked! We loved the Escape, hope you do, too! Are you going to Tortola?

Heather

Nope, not going to Tortola. Just the usual Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Roatan

15 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Such great news!!  Something to look forward to! Will be challenges but at least you’ll be on a ship and spoiled.  

I just hope the challenges don't get too overbearing that it takes away from the cruise. I'm going to try to keep "out of my head" about all the things I'm not normally going to be able to do.

14 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

So happy for you  family.  Will be nice to be away from home for a bit!  

And the cold. Brrrrr

12 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Woohoo! So glad you are cruising again!

Me too. I didn't think it would be happening.

11 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Good news,Kim !

Looking forward to a Christmas cruise should lift your spirits and motivate you to keep making progress.

I am sure your family is looking forward to a much needed change of scenery.

There will be many CC folks that will be looking for your postings about your Escape adventure !

Yes we are! Sakari is so excited and has been asking the entire time that my leg was broke when the next time was going to be. She said "I promise to help you out the entire time if we can just go!"

2 hours ago, Hatteras51 said:

Kim, I'm so happy that you are on the mend. A cruise should do you a world of good. When I cruised after I had recovered from a broken ankle, I took a blow up beach ball and used it to prop up my foot when I  sat on my balcony.  That helped a lot with the swelling.  Dianne

I'm hoping that's the case. My only issue is with elevation, my foot goes numb so I can't keep it elevated. It's been an issue the entire time for some reason. It's so annoying. We looked into going back to Aruba because I thought maybe it would be easier on me to go to one place and stay and just go out when I was feeling like it and not be tied to a schedule. But, man.....places are expensive during the Christmas season! So, I'll have to wait until next year.

1 hour ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

Yay! That's great Kim! I've been 'stalking' your posts lately to see what you decided, lol.

You and the family certainly need this!

Glad to see such good improvement in your mobility - keep up the good work!

We most certainly do! The hubby is going to look forward to letting someone else do the cleaning and cooking for a change! LOL  He's been so wonderful during this time. He deserves this vacation as much as I do.

1 hour ago, kpark895 said:

Great news, Kim!  Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Thanks so much!

Now if anyone has any suggestions on things to do in Costa Maya and especially Roatan and Cozumel for a person with mobility issues that loves the beach and snorkeling (lol at this point) then let me know. I'm sure I can still get into the water as long as I go to someplace that is a sandy entrance and the water is not crashing onto the beach and fairly calm. I know this is going to limit any snorkeling but you do find places like this sometimes where you enter the water in a sandy area but there's rocks for snorkeling along the sides.

HERE is one of the threads I had going for Roatan.

and HERE is the thread for Cozumel

Hi,  I ran across your review when I was daydreaming of a future cruise.  (Not sure we will go on one this winter, due to aging parents concerns, have been on several last went  in January and July 2019, but cruises may now have to go on back burner for the moment)

I cringed when I saw your injury, after 29 years of ED nursing I knew you would be in for a long road for recovery and I know us nurses are not the best patients!  

I have enjoyed your review and pictures very  much.  I hope you enjoy your December cruise!

Kim, one suggestion, if possible finding packed sand beaches and not those with the fluffy moving sands (not sure how to say this), you don't realize how much your knee and ankle are used to stabilize while walking in sand.  ie. in Florida, Daytona & Jacksonville is nice and firm and easy to walk on, Treasure Island is a little more difficult but doable, Pensacola Beach I can do no longer due to knee issues, the sand is powdery and shifts a lot with each step.

Kim, so glad you booked a cruise - yeahhh!!!  I'm sure this will do you a world of good, even if your limited.  At least you'll be able to kick back and enjoy and hopefully get to snorkel at one of the places you visit. 

Off subject, but did you see Carnival is going to be trying some alternate itineraries with Fascination out of San Juan starting in 2021?  There is one I am seriously considering.  New islands and some good ones too (Tortola, Antigua, Dominica, Grendada, are a few of the ones I can think of).  Friends of ours are already booked on one of them.  I told my hubby, who said a flat "No".  Crap!  We really need the new windows and also need other updating on our house, so I guess those are priority.  We do not agree on this.  We'll be in our home for a while, not like we're trying to sell anytime soon.  I don't need "stuff", I want experiences cause you just never know.  I just missed a special that ended last night, but I'm sure Carnival will offer it again (cruise is 2 years away), sooooo next time they have that offer, I'm booking with a down payment.  If for some reason we can't go, not much lost since I'd definitely wait to make full payment.  But next time they offer a discount on a down payment, I'm booking without telling hubby.  😜  That may be poking the proverbial "hornets' nest", but it will definitely be worth it. 

Kim, I haven't been keeping up with your progress as much as I should in the past few weeks. We have been super busy so kind a got behind, but I am so happy I decided to check in today. It is wonderful to hear you are doing better and able to tackle a cruise.

If you are mobile enough to get on and off a bus, I would suggest, in Roatan just booking with one of the leading tour guides. The one that comes to mind for us, as he mentions mobility problems is Rony's. As for Costa Maya we all love Maya Chan but to be honest the walk to pick up the tour would probably not work. I know we decided to cancel our tour to Maya Chan a month ago because of mobility concerns. 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:15 PM, BigNance said:

Kim,

so glad to hear you are scheduled for a cruise soon! I hope your ankle continues to improve. And. I look forward to a few posts from your trip!!

N

Thanks so much.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, CrabbyPatti said:

Hi,  I ran across your review when I was daydreaming of a future cruise.  (Not sure we will go on one this winter, due to aging parents concerns, have been on several last went  in January and July 2019, but cruises may now have to go on back burner for the moment)

I cringed when I saw your injury, after 29 years of ED nursing I knew you would be in for a long road for recovery and I know us nurses are not the best patients!  

I have enjoyed your review and pictures very  much.  I hope you enjoy your December cruise!

So sorry to hear about cruising being put on hold but aging parents take priority.

I know they have always said that nurses are not the best patients but not to toot my own horn, the paramedics, ER, and hospital staff said I was amazing and couldn't believe how well I was holding up considering how bad it was. I got comment after comment...now had this same staff been around after the surgery and I came home...it might have been a different story. 🤣

Glad you enjoyed the review and pictures.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, aztekpm said:

Kim, one suggestion, if possible finding packed sand beaches and not those with the fluffy moving sands (not sure how to say this), you don't realize how much your knee and ankle are used to stabilize while walking in sand.  ie. in Florida, Daytona & Jacksonville is nice and firm and easy to walk on, Treasure Island is a little more difficult but doable, Pensacola Beach I can do no longer due to knee issues, the sand is powdery and shifts a lot with each step.

Yep, I was just thinking about the packed sand and being easier to walk on. I have issues trying to walk on it without a broken leg/ankle. 😄

On 11/24/2019 at 8:11 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

Kim, so glad you booked a cruise - yeahhh!!!  I'm sure this will do you a world of good, even if your limited.  At least you'll be able to kick back and enjoy and hopefully get to snorkel at one of the places you visit. 

Off subject, but did you see Carnival is going to be trying some alternate itineraries with Fascination out of San Juan starting in 2021?  There is one I am seriously considering.  New islands and some good ones too (Tortola, Antigua, Dominica, Grendada, are a few of the ones I can think of).  Friends of ours are already booked on one of them.  I told my hubby, who said a flat "No".  Crap!  We really need the new windows and also need other updating on our house, so I guess those are priority.  We do not agree on this.  We'll be in our home for a while, not like we're trying to sell anytime soon.  I don't need "stuff", I want experiences cause you just never know.  I just missed a special that ended last night, but I'm sure Carnival will offer it again (cruise is 2 years away), sooooo next time they have that offer, I'm booking with a down payment.  If for some reason we can't go, not much lost since I'd definitely wait to make full payment.  But next time they offer a discount on a down payment, I'm booking without telling hubby.  😜  That may be poking the proverbial "hornets' nest", but it will definitely be worth it. 

I sure hope it will help at least my mental status out. I've just been going crazy over the last 3 months. But then again, I'm also scared it might agitate me not being able to do the things I love to do so much. :(  

No, I didn't see that Carnival is trying a new itinerary. That's awesome! Although I have been to all of those places, I would love to go back to Grenada again. I want a "do-over" there with scuba diving the sculptures. We missed some things.

LOL about booking the cruise anyhow. You sound like me. You do know they offer financing now and you can pay over time for the vacation. Maybe he'll go for that. hehe

10 hours ago, theump said:

Kim you said the PaPA170017.thumb.JPG.591561dbbec4f5a46087a09f0d2030b6.JPGparrott fish were bigger in  Bermuda but didn't expect this  lol

That is a big boy! I still have not found any parrot fish bigger than those in Bermuda and ALSO Aruba! The parrot fish that gets larger than the green ones are the blue/gray ones. They are the "Green Humphead" parrot fish. They start out green, but as they age, they turn blue and have a hump on their head. They are massive and can get up to 100 pounds and over 4 feet long! Then you have the actual BLUE parrot fish and they are completely bright blue and get up to 65 pounds and a little under 4 feet long! There are a lot of these in Aruba, especially at DePalm Island. I love parrot fish and their toothy smile 😁

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Kim, I haven't been keeping up with your progress as much as I should in the past few weeks. We have been super busy so kind a got behind, but I am so happy I decided to check in today. It is wonderful to hear you are doing better and able to tackle a cruise.

If you are mobile enough to get on and off a bus, I would suggest, in Roatan just booking with one of the leading tour guides. The one that comes to mind for us, as he mentions mobility problems is Rony's. As for Costa Maya we all love Maya Chan but to be honest the walk to pick up the tour would probably not work. I know we decided to cancel our tour to Maya Chan a month ago because of mobility concerns. 

Thank you so much.

I have thought about Rony, but I'm not sure where I would want to go with him. As you probably know, I'm not the "touristy type of person" and definitely don't want to spend the day driving around or seeing the sites. I must go somewhere. lol

I think in Costa Maya, we will probably head back to the water park. That was Sakari's favorite day of the cruise and she is begging to go back. Her comments, after going there last time, was if we were to return, she HAS to go back. It will be a relaxing pool day for me and the hubby and her can go off and zipline and waterslide until their little/big hearts are content. lol

• Like 1

Kim, so glad you're doing better, and super happy to see you're booked on a cruise! Re the shoes, and I hope I don't offend anyone with this, have you looked at Torrid or another plus size store? They cater to ladies that naturally have wide feet. Maybe a 9.5 ish would work width-wise, and then the length wouldn't be so crazy?

5 hours ago, indygirl76 said:

Kim, so glad you're doing better, and super happy to see you're booked on a cruise! Re the shoes, and I hope I don't offend anyone with this, have you looked at Torrid or another plus size store? They cater to ladies that naturally have wide feet. Maybe a 9.5 ish would work width-wise, and then the length wouldn't be so crazy?

Good idea and maybe an adjustable sport sandal would be good too.  LOL wear a pair of socks with them if your toes get cold 🙂 

Edited by aztekpm

Kim, I’m thrilled to hear that you’re feeling well enough to have gone ahead and booked a cruise! I’m also glad that you’ve recognized the need to plan your activities around what your physical abilities will be at the time you cruise. Yes, the soft sand is absolutely brutal to walk on when you have mobility issues. That’s one of the reasons I prefer boat dives over beach dives even though my knees and hips have already been replaced! I think it will feel so good to you just being out on a cruise 🚢!  

Sounds to to me like your PT is going great, and your therapist is as impressed with your determination and effort towards your recovery as those of us following you here are. I, for one, am really proud of you for all the work you’ve done and the progress you’ve made in your recovery. I’m sure I’m not alone in that feeling.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving 🦃! While the last few months have been difficult for you, with your wonderful positive attitude I’m certain that you will find plenty to be thankful for.

• Like 1

Kim, I'm SO glad to hear you have booked a Christmas Cruise, it will be such a fun gift for your whole family after such a rough time. Definitely something to look forward to. 

For Roatan, when we were there a few years ago, we went to Little French Key, after reading one of your reviews about it. A co-worker was just in Roatan a week or so ago, so I looked up the website to suggest it to him. It looks like it's changed quite a bit, some of the larger animals are gone, but still functioning as an animal rescue. They advertise that they are wheelchair accessible, and they still have that 2 story hut to jump into the water. I remember pics of Sakari, so young, jumping off there and having a blast. Here's a link if you want to consider it. https://www.littlefrenchkey.com/ The pictures are beautiful. 

On 11/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, mitsugirly said:

Thanks so much.

So sorry to hear about cruising being put on hold but aging parents take priority.

I know they have always said that nurses are not the best patients but not to toot my own horn, the paramedics, ER, and hospital staff said I was amazing and couldn't believe how well I was holding up considering how bad it was. I got comment after comment...now had this same staff been around after the surgery and I came home...it might have been a different story. 🤣

Glad you enjoyed the review and pictures.

Yep, I was just thinking about the packed sand and being easier to walk on. I have issues trying to walk on it without a broken leg/ankle. 😄

I sure hope it will help at least my mental status out. I've just been going crazy over the last 3 months. But then again, I'm also scared it might agitate me not being able to do the things I love to do so much. 😞

No, I didn't see that Carnival is trying a new itinerary. That's awesome! Although I have been to all of those places, I would love to go back to Grenada again. I want a "do-over" there with scuba diving the sculptures. We missed some things.

LOL about booking the cruise anyhow. You sound like me. You do know they offer financing now and you can pay over time for the vacation. Maybe he'll go for that. hehe

That is a big boy! I still have not found any parrot fish bigger than those in Bermuda and ALSO Aruba! The parrot fish that gets larger than the green ones are the blue/gray ones. They are the "Green Humphead" parrot fish. They start out green, but as they age, they turn blue and have a hump on their head. They are massive and can get up to 100 pounds and over 4 feet long! Then you have the actual BLUE parrot fish and they are completely bright blue and get up to 65 pounds and a little under 4 feet long! There are a lot of these in Aruba, especially at DePalm Island. I love parrot fish and their toothy smile 😁

Thank you so much.

I have thought about Rony, but I'm not sure where I would want to go with him. As you probably know, I'm not the "touristy type of person" and definitely don't want to spend the day driving around or seeing the sites. I must go somewhere. lol

I think in Costa Maya, we will probably head back to the water park. That was Sakari's favorite day of the cruise and she is begging to go back. Her comments, after going there last time, was if we were to return, she HAS to go back. It will be a relaxing pool day for me and the hubby and her can go off and zipline and waterslide until their little/big hearts are content. lol

understand about Rony but he will help you plan something you may not have seen before. We too have that problem visiting some of the islands: We have been there so many times, it is hard to decide on something to do that is different. I know we are leaving in 2 weeks on a cruise with is a repo, so only 5 days and 2 islands. One island is somewhere we have been so nothing really new to see, plus hubby and his mobility problems will make it tempting just to stay on the ship. The other port is St Barts which is new to us, and yet seems there isn't much to do there: decisions,decisions, decisions!!!  

Have a wonderful Christmas cruise regardless what you do in some of the ports. 

On 11/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, indygirl76 said:

Thanks and no I haven't heard of them. However, with the swelling, my feet aren't actually wide, the swelling is on the top of the foot that is causing the issue of me being able to wear any shoes. I did end up buying and nice comfy pair of sketchers (I love sketchers and have worn their shoes for years) that almost look like house shoes (lol) and they are furry inside and a size 10. I have been wearing them to walk in but once the top of my foot swells, anything I wear won't work. 😞  I'll get there some day. I've had a few good days of reduced swelling most of the day and then BOOM, the next day I wake up and I'm so swollen and it just gets worse throughout the day. Ugh!

On 11/26/2019 at 9:54 PM, aztekpm said:

Good idea and maybe an adjustable sport sandal would be good too.  LOL wear a pair of socks with them if your toes get cold 🙂 

Yea, it's winter here and has even snowed once. Burrrr

On 11/27/2019 at 3:06 AM, perfect match said:

Kim, I’m thrilled to hear that you’re feeling well enough to have gone ahead and booked a cruise! I’m also glad that you’ve recognized the need to plan your activities around what your physical abilities will be at the time you cruise. Yes, the soft sand is absolutely brutal to walk on when you have mobility issues. That’s one of the reasons I prefer boat dives over beach dives even though my knees and hips have already been replaced! I think it will feel so good to you just being out on a cruise 🚢!  

Sounds to to me like your PT is going great, and your therapist is as impressed with your determination and effort towards your recovery as those of us following you here are. I, for one, am really proud of you for all the work you’ve done and the progress you’ve made in your recovery. I’m sure I’m not alone in that feeling.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving 🦃! While the last few months have been difficult for you, with your wonderful positive attitude I’m certain that you will find plenty to be thankful for.

To be honest, I go back and forth each day about should I have done it? I can't wait! Is it too soon? This is what I need! It's too much too soon. Ugh. I just really hope this goes well is all I can say. 

My thought on a boat dive instead of beach dive...the issue getting out to the boat in the sand, getting in the boat while it's rocking, then standing up with equipment on to get over the side of the boat when rocking. That would be the scary part for me. How do you do that with someone who has a mobility problem? Just wondering. I sometimes find it hard to walk with a tank on, while the boat is rocking, and get off the boat. Eek! 

I only have 1 PT left and I see the ortho doctor for my follow up next week. I can't wait to hear what he says and also discuss the other surgery he was talking about to remove the one side plate, screws, and 2 screws between the 2 bones. I know I'm not doing any more surgeries until this swelling is completely gone and see how I feel. I also have to consider another issues with blood clots. 

Thanksgiving was good and I have so much to be thankful for that's for sure. 

On 11/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, perfect match said:

Since there’s been a lot of talk here about extra large parrotfish here, I figured I’d share mine. This was taken in Cozumel in November, 2016. The man in the picture is about 6 feet tall, and was a bit surprised to see this fish swimming up behind him. 😀

A38783E4-F836-441F-8DE5-5908D781DEE1.jpeg

WOW, just wow. That looks like one of the blue parrots I was talking about with the hump on his head. They are a large species for sure. Thanks for sharing. 

On 11/29/2019 at 1:00 AM, Wanna_Cruize said:

Kim, I'm SO glad to hear you have booked a Christmas Cruise, it will be such a fun gift for your whole family after such a rough time. Definitely something to look forward to. 

For Roatan, when we were there a few years ago, we went to Little French Key, after reading one of your reviews about it. A co-worker was just in Roatan a week or so ago, so I looked up the website to suggest it to him. It looks like it's changed quite a bit, some of the larger animals are gone, but still functioning as an animal rescue. They advertise that they are wheelchair accessible, and they still have that 2 story hut to jump into the water. I remember pics of Sakari, so young, jumping off there and having a blast. Here's a link if you want to consider it. https://www.littlefrenchkey.com/ The pictures are beautiful. 

I'm definitely looking forward to my upcoming cruise but I'm so worried as well. I know it's going to be difficult and so different, especially with trying to figure out transporting my wheelchair and everything. 

Yea, I've been to LFK multiple times. The last time I was there I was shocked at just how much more they have done to the place. It has become so commercialized and it's kinda sad. They have been in the "news" in Roatan and around the internet about the several raids they have had over the years. I have kept up on things and also read a story about his (the owners) life story with a lot of detail. It's pretty scary and makes you really think about going to someplace like that. I thought he was a nice man, but the story...wow. The raids alone, the people of Roatan not liking him, the commercialized setting it has become, and knowing the back story of it...I probably will not go there again. It's just too risky for me. 

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

understand about Rony but he will help you plan something you may not have seen before. We too have that problem visiting some of the islands: We have been there so many times, it is hard to decide on something to do that is different. I know we are leaving in 2 weeks on a cruise with is a repo, so only 5 days and 2 islands. One island is somewhere we have been so nothing really new to see, plus hubby and his mobility problems will make it tempting just to stay on the ship. The other port is St Barts which is new to us, and yet seems there isn't much to do there: decisions,decisions, decisions!!!  

Have a wonderful Christmas cruise regardless what you do in some of the ports. 

Yea, I will give him some consideration. The only thing I can think of that we would like to still do there is to visit the sloths. but, I don't feel like I would need a "tour" to do so and it would save a lot of money by just catching a cab there or something. 

St Barts is a place that we have not been to yet. I haven't noticed any cruises going there when I look. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:25 PM, mitsugirly said:

The swelling is just unbelievable by the end of the day. It's so bad that it cracks my skin and then burns and I can't put any lotion on it because it's open.

Kim, have you tried putting Neosporin on your cracked skin?  It might soothe the burn and help it heal.

I’m glad you booked a cruise.  It gives you something to look forward to, as well as hubby and Sakari.  I’m pretty sure you’ve been to Maya Key (can’t remember, though). That’s the first place that came to mind when you mentioned looking for somewhere to go in Roatan. I’ve been there three times and it’s usually pretty quiet with calm water.  Just be sure to bring bug spray for the sand fleas (depending on the wind that day.) Of course, you’d still have to get in and out of a boat.

Still keeping you in my prayers for a full recovery.

Kim,  just found your post yesterday and have been reading it pretty much non stop since.  I thought I was just going to be reading and seeing lots of pics of a cruise - never did I expect to read and see what happened and am so sorry for all you've been thru!!!!!  Some of the pics of your ankle/leg were horrifying.  I would have been crying 24/7 all those months.  You sure are a trooper!  I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas cruise.  You certainly all deserve it.  

On 11/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, luvcruzing said:

Kim, have you tried putting Neosporin on your cracked skin?  It might soothe the burn and help it heal.

I’m glad you booked a cruise.  It gives you something to look forward to, as well as hubby and Sakari.  I’m pretty sure you’ve been to Maya Key (can’t remember, though). That’s the first place that came to mind when you mentioned looking for somewhere to go in Roatan. I’ve been there three times and it’s usually pretty quiet with calm water.  Just be sure to bring bug spray for the sand fleas (depending on the wind that day.) Of course, you’d still have to get in and out of a boat.

Still keeping you in my prayers for a full recovery.

I'm going to ask my ortho doctor tomorrow if it's ok to put something on it. My last visit I was told to "leave it alone" and just use soap and water and not to put anything on that area. It's still an open wound but scabbing up.

Yea, we have been to Maya Key several years ago. I had thought about that place at first since it's right there where we dock. I also considered trying to get on/off a boat moving in the water too (in order to get over there). So, I'm not really sure. I thought maybe I would be able to snorkel there too from the dock and just not go out, but then it was brought to my attention that it's a "ladder-type" of entrance into the water. I'm not sure I could do that yet. Do you know for sure that's the type of entrance in the snorkeling area? I couldn't remember if they had actual steps. With all the pictures I take, can you believe I don't have a picture of that?!? LOL

Thanks for the prayers.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:06 PM, BEACHBARB said:

Kim,  just found your post yesterday and have been reading it pretty much non stop since.  I thought I was just going to be reading and seeing lots of pics of a cruise - never did I expect to read and see what happened and am so sorry for all you've been thru!!!!!  Some of the pics of your ankle/leg were horrifying.  I would have been crying 24/7 all those months.  You sure are a trooper!  I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas cruise.  You certainly all deserve it.  

Thanks so much. It's been a tough journey, but things are improving little by little. At least I'm able to walk on it now. I have an ortho appointment tomorrow so we will see how that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Oh trust me, I've had my breakdown moments for sure...from either the unbearable pain to just those depressing "I'm so over this" days.

22 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I thought maybe I would be able to snorkel there too from the dock and just not go out, but then it was brought to my attention that it's a "ladder-type" of entrance into the water. I'm not sure I could do that yet. Do you know for sure that's the type of entrance in the snorkeling area? 

No, sorry Kim, I don’t know.  Maybe one of your other many followers knows the answer.

Kim, the entrance to the water for snorkeling at Maya Key is definitely a ladder.  When we were there last spring the swim out to the edge was also really shallow and that would concern me if I was having mobility issues too.  Maybe it was low tide when we went out?  That doesn't fix the ladder though.  😕

Thank you for another great review.

I'm excited because I just got myself an Olympus Tough camera. Not a diver, but will be nice for snorkeling and also wanted something that can simply handle being in and near water. A question... when shooting underwater, do you use any special attachments for your camera (casing, strobe lights, etc), or just the camera as is out of the box?

So happy you are healing up good and will soon be on another cruise.