Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

On 12/3/2019 at 9:36 PM, luvcruzing said:

No, sorry Kim, I don’t know.  Maybe one of your other many followers knows the answer.

Thanks

On 12/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, LeesaB said:

Kim, the entrance to the water for snorkeling at Maya Key is definitely a ladder.  When we were there last spring the swim out to the edge was also really shallow and that would concern me if I was having mobility issues too.  Maybe it was low tide when we went out?  That doesn't fix the ladder though.  😕

Thanks for the info. We have decided not to go here after all.

14 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

Thank you for another great review.

I'm excited because I just got myself an Olympus Tough camera. Not a diver, but will be nice for snorkeling and also wanted something that can simply handle being in and near water. A question... when shooting underwater, do you use any special attachments for your camera (casing, strobe lights, etc), or just the camera as is out of the box?

So happy you are healing up good and will soon be on another cruise.

I actually just bought myself another one today (the TG6). I needed another back up camera. One of my other camera's stopped working on the last cruise (one I've had for quite some time and a much older model). Then Sakari's camera got a crack in the screen a few years back when she took it to camp with her. That leaves me with only the TG4. I don't feel comfortable enough to vacation with only 1 camera for myself. 😄  We also bought a gopro during Black Friday sales, but it's not the "good one" (we got the Hero 7 white). I'm not too sure I like it too much and there's really not many features to it. Then the fact that the screen is so small...I don't think that would work out too good with my old eyes. LOL

My camera is used...right out of the box. 

So, shooting under water...There's several underwater settings: regular underwater settings, underwater landscape, underwater action, and macro. Then they have a HDR setting as well.

I usually use the action feature, because let's think about it, you're usually capturing things that are moving from fish to soft corals and sponges.

If I'm trying to capture something up close, I'll sometimes try to macro setting and sometimes I'll just get close and crop the picture.

If I'm going deeper, I will play around with the exposure composition under the underwater setting too. Although you mentioned you would only be using it to snorkel, there are times that you could add some exposure to it if it's a little cloudy outside or maybe something up under a rock. There's also some settings you can hit that will do the adjustment for you if it's sunny or cloudy and so on. They also have some flash settings in there. I "normally" don't try to use the flash because it captures every particle in the water and makes for a bad pic. 

The only attachment I have for my camera is a fish eye lens. 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, CoasterGuy said:

Yep that's the one I bought, the TG-6. Got it on amazon during a black friday sale.  Thanks for the info! Yeah I was looking at the different underwater modes and have been playing with the macro modes as well. 

I just started playing with mine last night (leaving on a cruise today) and man is it different than my tg4. Eek

On 12/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, mitsugirly said:

I just started playing with mine last night (leaving on a cruise today) and man is it different than my tg4. Eek

Enjoy the cruise! I look forward to your next review.

Never owned an Olympus camera before but the menus have definitely taken me some time to learn.

Hope you had a great cruise! I saw your post over on the Carnival board so I know you’re safely back home. 

My Olympus TG 2 is starting to get pretty worn out. I’ve used it & a used it for a number of years now. It is still working ok, but every time I use it I’m afraid it will die on me. I thought it had on my last dive trip, but turns out it was just me accidentally putting the camera on the wrong settings. Pictures from that trip were very disappointing until I finally noticed the wrong settings and fixed that problem. Still have problems with controls not working properly, sticking at times. 

Can’t wait to hear about your cruise!

On 12/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, Hatteras51 said:

Kim, have a great cruise!

Thanks

On 12/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Victorious8 said:

So excited you are on the Escape! I LOVE her and I am wanting to book her for 2021 and I am sure your review will make that desire more intense. 

Thanks and I'll try to get the review started soon.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:56 PM, AKR2011 said:

Have an amazing cruise!  I absolutely LOVE The Escape and look forward to your review. Enjoy your family time 😀

Thank you!

On 12/16/2019 at 7:24 PM, kpark895 said:

Kim, didn't realize your cruise was so soon.  Hope you and the family have a great time!

Yep, it snuck up on me quickly. It was nice to get away.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:11 AM, CoasterGuy said:

Hope you're enjoying the cruise and I look forward to your next review. 

Thanks so much.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:13 AM, CoasterGuy said:

Enjoy the cruise! I look forward to your next review.

Never owned an Olympus camera before but the menus have definitely taken me some time to learn.

Thank you we did have a nice cruise.

Yea, I'm still trying to learn my "new" menu's. It takes time and playing around with it a lot. But they are kinda similar to my tg4 so not too=too different.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:34 AM, perfect match said:

Hope you had a great cruise! I saw your post over on the Carnival board so I know you’re safely back home. 

My Olympus TG 2 is starting to get pretty worn out. I’ve used it & a used it for a number of years now. It is still working ok, but every time I use it I’m afraid it will die on me. I thought it had on my last dive trip, but turns out it was just me accidentally putting the camera on the wrong settings. Pictures from that trip were very disappointing until I finally noticed the wrong settings and fixed that problem. Still have problems with controls not working properly, sticking at times. 

Can’t wait to hear about your cruise!

Yep, safely back home. That Carnival crash was just crazy but I can totally see why it happened.

That's why I always have a back up camera with me. I'm so afraid of one of them going out on me and not having a way to take pictures. I would just die. LOL  I have had 2 camera's die on me during vacation in the last 10 years but I did have a back up thank goodness.

Having the camera's on the wrong setting has happened to me plenty of times (including my recent cruise). It's very easy to hit the dial with your finger and not notice it for awhile. I end up with some really weird pictures then (usually the ones when we are diving or snorkeling because I'm just not paying attention).

As for sticking...that's happened to me before too. Just make sure you rinse the camera's after being in salt water and check the dials and buttons for any sand in them. I had sand stuck in mine one and freaked out and the hubby noticed a small piece of sand in the dial and dug it out for me. Whew....I felt so relieved because it was my main camera. lol

20 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

Hope you had a great cruise.  Looking forward to your review.

Thanks we had a nice time. It was definitely good to get away for awhile after being down for so long.

Thanks for your response on the escape thread regarding the internet. We sail next week so I'm going to check often in case you start a review! I hope this cruise was better than your last one and glad you were well enough to go.

4 minutes ago, kenlyn said:

Thanks for your response on the escape thread regarding the internet. We sail next week so I'm going to check often in case you start a review! I hope this cruise was better than your last one and glad you were well enough to go.

You are very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

This cruise was definitely better than the last in the sense of not as crowded. But, of course, I couldn't do much so kinda depressing as well. :(  There was good and bad but we made the most of it. :)

27 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I have been trying to search for your report on your cruise -glad to read I haven’t missed it!  When you do it can you post a link here so I can find it (I’m not that computer literate 😒).  I love reading your posts!  

I sure will and thanks!

36 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I sure will and thanks!

Thank you.  We recently returned from a 14 nights cruise to Mexico (on HAL Oosterdam) and I tried doing a kind of “live” report, lol.  It’s a lot of work 😂. First time we didn’t take our snorkel gear-totally a relaxation cruise, was great.

12 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Thank you.  We recently returned from a 14 nights cruise to Mexico (on HAL Oosterdam) and I tried doing a kind of “live” report, lol.  It’s a lot of work 😂. First time we didn’t take our snorkel gear-totally a relaxation cruise, was great.

I had thought about a live report in the past and thought...no way...I'd never be able to commit to that and it would just be too hard. I like the suspense of where we went and what we did in my reviews. LOL

• Like 1