Cruising with DD's and her Friend

friendswithdave

I am considering a 4-day Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral in October with my daughter and allowing her to bring her best friend along. My daughter has a passport but I doubt if her friend has one. What documents would I need in order to take my daughter's friend on the cruise? Would she need a passport for a closed-loop Bahamas cruise or can I just travel with her birth certificate? Would I need written permission from her parents? I want to get all this straight before I ask her parents or book the cruise. TIA!

At a minimum the cruise line will probably want written & notarized permission from the parents along with a power of attorney allowing you to make medical decisions.

Unless the cruise line requires it, technically a birth certificate would do on a closed-loop cruise.   OTH, stuff happens and it would be prudent for the friend to have a passport especially when the parents are not there...just in case.

25 minutes ago, friendswithdave said:

I am considering a 4-day Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral in October with my daughter and allowing her to bring her best friend along. My daughter has a passport but I doubt if her friend has one. What documents would I need in order to take my daughter's friend on the cruise? Would she need a passport for a closed-loop Bahamas cruise or can I just travel with her birth certificate? Would I need written permission from her parents? I want to get all this straight before I ask her parents or book the cruise. TIA!

There are cruise lines that require unaccompanied minors,  that is a minor that is not your child, to have a passport, regardless of what their requirement would be for your child.  Check with your cruise line.

• Like 2

If she is a minor, then a notarized letter from her parents granting her permission to travel on the cruise ship with you is needed.  If you can be in immediate touch with her parents if an emergency arises that requires medical care, you may not need the parents written permission for any procedures - but if your phone service is iffy, or if the parents may not be available the entire time you are away, an emergency medical proxy could be invaluable.

Don't be surprised if the cruise line doesn't ask to see the letters of permission, but don't throw them away after boarding.  US Customs will probably ask to see the docs when you are returning from the cruise.

Since she is 16, she will also need a gov't issued picture ID.  this can be a school ID card if she doesn't have a drivers license.  The authorities at Nassau will ask to see it when returning to the ship.  EM

10 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

Since she is not your child, I would insist that she have a passport just in case something happens and you have to fly home.  Also as others have said, permission from both of her parents allowing you to take her out of the country and also permission from both parents allowing you to authorize medical treatment.

How are you planning to handle room arrangements w 1 adult and 2 underage passengers.  You can't have them in a cabin by themselves as there has to be an adult booked in both cabins.  When we did a recent AK trip with out 2 granddaughters, we booked my wife and one child in one cabin and me and the second child in the other cabin.  We switched once we were on board but that was the only way that we could book it.

It is a bit more complicated than you think.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On 8/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, friendswithdave said:

Thanks for the replies. I should have noted - the girl is 16 years old.

If she doesn't have a passport you need the following:

1. A state issued birth certificate

2. A photo ID

3. Permission from both of her parents to take her out of the country.

4. Medical power of attorney that allows you to authorize treatment until the parents can be contacted.