24 hour check in on return flight from Italy

jmpiterniak

Hi everyone!

We're on the HAL Nieuw Statendam Mediterranean Mosaic Sept. 27 to Oct. 7. We fly out Oct. 7 from Rome back to the US. This means we need to do our flight check in on Oct. 6 when we're in Naples. I'm assuming we'll find Wi-Fi somewhere so we can take care of this on the airline app. What if we can't? Just trying to cover my "what if" items here, thanks!

JoAnne

We never check in 24 hours before our flights when in Italy and just check in at the airport. We are always in business class so we have a shorter dedicated check in line. If you have seats assigned already I wouldn't worry and just do it at the airport. We go to Naples every year finding wifi is easy so you shouldn't have aproblem at most cafes and restaurants...

42 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Yep....just put in all your personal details over an unsecured wifi connection in Italy.  And Naples no less.

You will still need to do a full document check at FCO - so why do you need to do OLCI?

Wow good point at that!! I’ll try to call the airline and will probably check in via telephone if that’s available. Thanks for pointing this out!

49 minutes ago, jmpiterniak said:

Wow good point at that!! I’ll try to call the airline and will probably check in via telephone if that’s available. Thanks for pointing this out!

There really isn't likely a reason you need to check in ahead of time. Just arrive a few hours early at the airport and do it there. I've never heard of an airline checking people in over phone...then again, never tried it.

Seriously, just do it at the airport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

There really isn't likely a reason you need to check in ahead of time. Just arrive a few hours early at the airport and do it there. I've never heard of an airline checking people in over phone...then again, never tried it.

Seriously, just do it at the airport.

Agree...think the 24-hour thing was stuck in my mind from having flown Southwest in the past, when you had to check in ahead to get seats assigned. We have seats so there really is no need! 

2 minutes ago, jmpiterniak said:

Agree...think the 24-hour thing was stuck in my mind from having flown Southwest in the past, when you had to check in ahead to get seats assigned. We have seats so there really is no need! 

To clarify, no matter when you check in, you never get seats assigned on Southwest. You get a boarding position, but never a seat assignment.

If I am around a computer or phone, I'll check in 24 hours in advance for any trip...but often I am elbows deep in an airplane fuselage doing work at 24 hours out, so I usually just say "the hell with it" and check in at the airport. No problems so far.

13 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

To clarify, no matter when you check in, you never get seats assigned on Southwest. You get a boarding position, but never a seat assignment.

If I am around a computer or phone, I'll check in 24 hours in advance for any trip...but often I am elbows deep in an airplane fuselage doing work at 24 hours out, so I usually just say "the hell with it" and check in at the airport. No problems so far.

Very good to know!  I’ll check in for the outbound flights just to be safe but for  return, (back to reality!) flights I won’t.

23 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Yep....just put in all your personal details over an unsecured wifi connection in Italy.  And Naples no less.

You will still need to do a full document check at FCO - so why do you need to do OLCI?

My now-ex's relatives are all from Naples, so I know what you speak of 😉

Just get to the airport and check in - I do this every time I fly out of FCO.  Even if I'm staying in Rome and have my cell service.  Unless you are flying basic economy, you should already have your seats so no reason to do the Southwest Shuffle and check in exactly 24 hours ahead...

If this helps you can put your personal info online now at your home secured internet computer and some airlines like Vueling will issue you a Boarding Pass at time of booking.

I booked my Mother to meet us  in Barcelona after spending a few days in Paris on Vueling. I went ahead and paid to select her seat and the next screen that came up was a Boarding pass so I printed it out and saved a copy.   I was shocked that over two months from today I got the boarding pass.

Other airlines like LEVEL/Iberia will automatically check you in pending you have all of your details for Passport/APIS and you will get a PDF boarding pass which you can reprint at the airport. It helps to be checked in 24 hours in advance to avoid overbooking as they go by the time you checked in when bumping and other factors.

One other way you can do this is enter in all your personal details now  and then  pop in to a Hotel and kindly ask the Concierge(and tip them) if you could use their computer to print off your boarding pass. Some hotels like Hiltons in Europe have boarding pass computers and printers and you don't even need to tip then as its unmanned. But at a mom and pop place tip them and they will give you your boarding pass. Make it a fun adventure to get your boarding pass in Naples and  then go about your day!

In Amsterdam we did not have a printer so I checked in on my laptop and Printed the Boarding Pass and Saved it as a PDF then I sent it to my e-mail address. I popped in to the Concierge and got it printed out with no issues. I even offered to tip a few Euros but he refused.

In the worst case scenario purchase an internet package and then on the ship go to the Business Center or see if the Hotel Director will let you print out your boarding passes onboard this is your last option.

If you can't do this then just show up 3 hours prior to your flight and get it at the airport.

In the old days I remember calling into Air France's Telephone Checkin back in 1998 and they checked us in and had us go to  the Business Class counter for quick bag dropoff  even if we were flying in economy. This was back in the days of paper tickets and paper boarding passes with stickers for the seat assignments. 

Edited by travelplus

4 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

That depends on the airline.

4 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

That depends on the airline.

True.  I generalized based on my experiences.  I haven't had to pay yet for a seat selection.