Cruise Critic Community
thunter1224

Budapest Great Market Hall

5 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

The bad thing is Budapest is our last stop.. I need one in Vilshofen .. 

Just thought of something - I assume that you are flying into Munich and then transferring to Vilshofen? If this is the case, you can obtain your euros at the Munich airport. Most of the ATMs and banks are located in the public area (pre-security) and they are perfectly fine to use. You will be charged the wholesale exchange rate & the fees are based on what your home bank charges for using a foreign ATM (if your bank told you they charge 1% than that is what you will be charged).

Bank ATMs at Munich airport include:

Deutsche Postbank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 03), public area, Terminalstraße

ReiseBank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 03), Terminal 2, Arrival area

Sparkasse
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 04), Departure area, Terminalstrasse West, Terminal 2

HypoVereinsbank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 3), public area, Terminalstraße

Edited by dogs4fun

5 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Do you remember the price for the Ferris wheel and the lift ? 

and thank You for this great info.

I did not remember the prices but I did remember I took pictures (not cell phone) of the tickets and the price boards.

But dogs4fun was onto answering that question like a duck on a June bug! Good job!

I noticed the price for the wheel was in Forints (2700) and Euros (9) so I did some conversions. It's way better to pay in Forints. 

ScreenShot_494.jpg.eec04f673d9e0055b153446f9760c2fc.jpgScreenShot_493.jpg.fc6c51c8a5411904dd433379d1967f1d.jpg

Looks like the dollar lost a little value from the $8.65 dogs4fun paid.

One more thing I just remembered. I used ATMs only twice on our trip in Germany and Hungary. I don't know whether I missed something in the directions but I did not get a printed receipt from either machine. So if you want a record of your transaction you may want to snap a pic of the screen or check if a receipt is an option I missed.

Bon voyage, Good Luck, Take Pictures, Have Fun!

Ferris_Wheel_Prices.JPG

Ferris_Wheel_Tickets.JPG

Funicula_Prices.JPG

Funicular_Ticket_1.JPG

Funicular_Ticket_2.JPG

Budapest_From_Ferris_Wheel_01.jpg

9 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I don't understand your comment. You won't get HUF from an ATM in Vilshofen - Vilshofen is in Germany and the Vilshofen ATMs dispense euros. You must visit an ATM in Hungary to obtain HUF.

FYI: if you are looking to obtain euros in Vilshofen, there are a couple of banks with ATMs in the historical center - it is a short walk from where ships dock on the Danube.

I never mentioned a country.. I will be getting Euros from the atm , when we first get to Germany.. and then when we get to Budapest I will get HUF there .  Most of the buying will be in Budapest .. Paprika mostly and small trinket for the grandkids .  the Euros will be for food while on excursions and more trinkets .. so I am wondering if I really need to use the atm ..or just my C.C or Debit card for cash.. 

8 hours ago, K5AEM said:

I did not remember the prices but I did remember I took pictures (not cell phone) of the tickets and the price boards.

But dogs4fun was onto answering that question like a duck on a June bug! Good job!

I noticed the price for the wheel was in Forints (2700) and Euros (9) so I did some conversions. It's way better to pay in Forints. 

ScreenShot_494.jpg.eec04f673d9e0055b153446f9760c2fc.jpgScreenShot_493.jpg.fc6c51c8a5411904dd433379d1967f1d.jpg

Looks like the dollar lost a little value from the $8.65 dogs4fun paid.

One more thing I just remembered. I used ATMs only twice on our trip in Germany and Hungary. I don't know whether I missed something in the directions but I did not get a printed receipt from either machine. So if you want a record of your transaction you may want to snap a pic of the screen or check if a receipt is an option I missed.

Bon voyage, Good Luck, Take Pictures, Have Fun!

Ferris_Wheel_Prices.JPG

Ferris_Wheel_Tickets.JPG

Funicula_Prices.JPG

Funicular_Ticket_1.JPG

Funicular_Ticket_2.JPG

Budapest_From_Ferris_Wheel_01.jpg

23 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Just thought of something - I assume that you are flying into Munich and then transferring to Vilshofen? If this is the case, you can obtain your euros at the Munich airport. Most of the ATMs and banks are located in the public area (pre-security) and they are perfectly fine to use. You will be charged the wholesale exchange rate & the fees are based on what your home bank charges for using a foreign ATM (if your bank told you they charge 1% than that is what you will be charged).

Bank ATMs at Munich airport include:

Deutsche Postbank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 03), public area, Terminalstraße

ReiseBank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 03), Terminal 2, Arrival area

Sparkasse
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 04), Departure area, Terminalstrasse West, Terminal 2

HypoVereinsbank
Location: Munich Airport Center (Level 3), public area, Terminalstraße

Thank You..  We are looking into getting around $100 Euros from a bank here in the States .. and since my girlfriend has an acct. there may not be a fee ..just the exchange rate .. and as for Budapest .. I am not sure yet.. and since we will be flying home out of Vienna .. we will need Euros there for breakfast  and gifts ..  I am sure it will all work out 🙂 10 days to go 

A warning about powders - including paprika - in carry-on bags..

Just returned from river cruise with last stop of Budapest where I bought lots of paprika for my friends and family.  I was sort of surprised to get a question at airport on my international flight about POWDERS in my carry-on, which apparently includes paprika.  Researched when I got home to discover that since June 2018, on inbound international flights,  you are limited to 12 ounces or 350 ml of powders in your carry-on.  SO if you bought lots, be sure it is in your checked baggage.

Also, we found most places accepted euro (and even had prices posted in euro for those of us who are math deficient) and many gave it as change since it makes their calculation easier.  Yes, you had an exchange rate penalty and you had to ask about the change issues, but we felt it was worth it to not deal with exchanging money for two or three days of nominal purchases. 

On 10/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, badtwin said:

Just returned from river cruise with last stop of Budapest where I bought lots of paprika for my friends and family.  I was sort of surprised to get a question at airport on my international flight about POWDERS in my carry-on, which apparently includes paprika.  Researched when I got home to discover that since June 2018, on inbound international flights,  you are limited to 12 ounces or 350 ml of powders in your carry-on.  SO if you bought lots, be sure it is in your checked baggage.

Also, we found most places accepted euro (and even had prices posted in euro for those of us who are math deficient) and many gave it as change since it makes their calculation easier.  Yes, you had an exchange rate penalty and you had to ask about the change issues, but we felt it was worth it to not deal with exchanging money for two or three days of nominal purchases. 

Thanks but we are back from the cruise... and everything was great . used euros, brought back both powdered and paste Paprika in my check bag with no problems.  I used my atm at 2 stops. and it was not to bad.  we are planning another river cruise but on the Rhine  this time.. well in a few years 🙂   now we have a ocean cruise on Dec 1st from New York City to the S. Caribbean and back .. but no flights involved.. so just buy what we want ..   

Make  sure you buy some mustard in the squeeze tubes.  I bought paprika but the mustard is really great.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, badtwin said:

I just flew from Budapest to NYC ( well Newark ) and I had about 3 lbs of paprika in my check bag.. and had no problem at all .  along with wine.. 🙂  Also they have a paprika paste.. they serve it with most dishes .. but I had it with goulash.. you put a spoonful on top and it melts .. but be careful. it comes in mild, med, and very hot 🙂

Edited by thunter1224
added last part

On 10/15/2019 at 9:23 AM, badtwin said:

Correct - powder exceeding the 12oz limit now require additional screening for carry-on luggage. You can read the TSA memo here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/what-policy-powders-are-they-allowed

6 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

I just flew from Budapest to NYC ( well Newark ) and I had about 3 lbs of paprika in my check bag.. and had no problem at all .

The powder issue applies only to carry-on luggage, not checked baggage.