Viator in Mykonos

golf mom

We booked with viator for a walking tour in Mykonos. We called viator as soon as the captain announced we could not get into the port because of bad winds. Viator could care less. They refused to refund our money or put it toward a future tour. We have booked with viator before but will surely never do it again. Beware!! They charged our credit card in April for an August tour. 

Sorry you had this experience and is the reason when we book private group tours we always make sure that if we are unable to dock there will be a refund. Hopefully next time check this detail out before booking.

Sorry for your poor experience. As stated by the poster above, we always familiarize ourselves with policies regarding refunds. Furthermore, we book directly with the company providing the tour, never with a consolidator like viator. Viator does not provide any tours - they simply sell tours.

Edited by dogs4fun

Don't blame Viator, they are just a consolidator. Blame yourself for not researching the policy of the specific agency that actually offers/delivers the tour.

I have posted probably more than a 100 times over the years I've been active on this site that Viator is just a middle-man. Sorry for your cancellation. 

We missed a tour with Viatour because they closed the port and we were unable to pull in. I got a letter from Guess services that we were unable to pull into port. Once we returned home I sent a copy of the letter to Viatour and got a full refund. Always get a letter for the ship that you were delay or could not enter port if this happens and fill a claim, this is the only way most independent travel companies will process your claim. I am sorry you missed your port and were unable to get your refund. I just hopes this helps some in the further.

15 hours ago, golf mom said:

The captain of the ship called viator to alert them.

ROFL 🤣

And he phoned viator in his free time between dealing with strong winds and  after he cooked all the breakfasts! 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

ROFL 🤣

And he phoned viator in his free time between dealing with strong winds and  after he cooked all the breakfasts! 

And he probably called all the other private tour vendors to announce the ship's canceling, as well. NOT!

On 8/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, golf mom said:

The captain of the ship called viator to alert them. So viator was aware when I called. Thanks anyway

Do you really believe that he had time to do that while commanding the ship?

DON

Viator told me they already knew. We were tendering in. This was the day before. Captain knew it was too windy for tenders. So, we never got close to windy waters. 

Royal Caribbean had tour booked with viator as well. They just come to the ship under royals name. Why would viator say they already knew if they didn’t?  It’s more reason for them to return my money if they knew. 

Ok, you need to understand that Viator doesn't provide a single tour. They are a broker. They take your money and contract with low bid local providers.  Those local providers (who are also providing tours through RCI) probably have great contacts with the local port people, and knew the ship had canceled due to weather.

Calling Viator gets you their central office, which has no idea of the local conditions at Mykonos.