Tromsø and Narvik in December

pete14

Arcadia is going to both Tromsø and Narvik at the beginning of December. I have been to a Tromso in early March and in the summer but never in December. I have read slightly conflicting articles about how light it is during the day in early December, ranging from dark to more like dusk. If anybody has been to Northern Norway late November and early December, can you please enlighten me about this. P&O are running scenic tours through the spectacular scenery including the new cable car at Narvik but if it is dark, presumably outside the towns, there will be precious little to see. 

Thanks Dave. I am just not quite sure what ‘civil twilight’ actually is. It sounds as though there is some light during the day, but I suspect less than three weeks from the shortest day, not very much. Of course the Northern Lights are the main attraction but we have a whole day in each port, leaving around 2:00 am and people are booking tours during the day which may not be as spectacular as they sound, even if it is like twilight as we know it, rather than dark.

41 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks Dave. I am just not quite sure what ‘civil twilight’ actually is. It sounds as though there is some light during the day, but I suspect less than three weeks from the shortest day, not very much. Of course the Northern Lights are the main attraction but we have a whole day in each port, leaving around 2:00 am and people are booking tours during the day which may not be as spectacular as they sound, even if it is like twilight as we know it, rather than dark.

Definition of civil twilight

: the period after sunset or before sunrise ending or beginning when the sun is about 6 degrees below the horizon and during which on clear days there is enough light for ordinary outdoor occupations

source; Merriam-Webster dictionary 

28 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Definition of civil twilight

: the period after sunset or before sunrise ending or beginning when the sun is about 6 degrees below the horizon and during which on clear days there is enough light for ordinary outdoor occupations

source; Merriam-Webster dictionary 

Thanks Les. Doesn’t seem quite as dark as I was thinking it might be. It would still be good if somebody who has been there at that time could give us the benefit of their experience. According to ‘What’s in port’, Arcadia seems to be the only cruiseship visiting Narvik and Tromso in the whole of December.

Edited by pete14
Spelling

Look up on https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk  your local town or city, or search its name.  Scroll down, and Look at when civil twilight ENDS (I know this sounds counter intuitive!) . Go outside and look at how light it is. Maybe not tonight as it’s peeing down for many of us!  At the moment it’s about 21:10 for me and ends just after 22:00hrs when nautical twilight kicks in. 

The order of darkness is Civil, Nautical and Astronomical

I use this site a lot when wishing to see the night sky... 

GBM

I was inside the Artic Circle in Finland some years ago. In December the sky was a pinky grey and a dull light but good enough to take pictures.

It wasn't light till about 10am and getting dark quickly sometime after 3pm.

We go in February 2020 to see the northern lights and expecting similar dull light

16 hours ago, Haworth said:

This was Alta in March this year, we had very good weather until the famous storm that engulfed Viking Sky

DSCF3159.JPG

Nice picture! But in March you're not far away from the equinox, so it's going to be far lighter than it would be in December, which was when the OP was asking about.

Thanks for the helpful replies (and the nice picture). It seems as though it will not be the sort of light for a panoramic and scenic tour but perfectly manageable. Sticking in the more built up area, especially in Tromso, seems to be the best idea.