Havana pool area and Havana aft cabins

Luv2cruz1000

10 hours ago, Devo1459 said:

My opinion comes from the fact its not in the back.  So its a side view.  No hot tubs. It looks lame. Maybe I am wrong time will tell.

I was disappointed as well, I agree we will see when the ship comes out.  See my reply on what it ‘appears’ they are doing with the aft wrap suites...

I had a Havana Cabana on the Horizon in May. Loved everything about it. I'd stay there again. As far as it being under utilized....completely irrelevant. The Havana guests paid dearly for those cabins regardless if they packed the pool or not. (The Horizon cruise cost more than our Alaska one......) Good extra money maker for Carnival.

On our cruise....pool was busy with guests all day every day. Almost empty at night.

37 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I had a Havana Cabana on the Horizon in May. Loved everything about it. I'd stay there again. As far as it being under utilized....completely irrelevant. The Havana guests paid dearly for those cabins regardless if they packed the pool or not. (The Horizon cruise cost more than our Alaska one......) Good extra money maker for Carnival.

On our cruise....pool was busy with guests all day every day. Almost empty at night.

well said, agree on all points.

52 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I had a Havana Cabana on the Horizon in May. Loved everything about it. I'd stay there again. As far as it being under utilized....completely irrelevant. The Havana guests paid dearly for those cabins regardless if they packed the pool or not.

The fact that the Havana pool area is frequently under utilized is very relevant, at least to Carnival. Every decision Carnival makes is about generating more revenue and increasing profits.

That’s why there has been numerous cut backs over the last several years, why they are going from large theaters to smaller lounges, why they are adding additional cabins to older ships, etc.

If an area/feature isn’t generating expected revenue, it won’t last. That’s why Panorama won’t have an IMAX and Thrill Theater. And getting back to the Havana area, the Havana Bar is not generating expected revenues. This is directly related to the Havana pool area being under utilized and why access has been expanded to allow guests in certain suites to use it. There is no doubt this also directly impacted the design and location of the Havana area on Mardi Gras. 

27 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The fact that the Havana pool area is frequently under utilized is very relevant, at least to Carnival. Every decision Carnival makes is about generating more revenue and increasing profits.

That’s why there has been numerous cut backs over the last several years, why they are going from large theaters to smaller lounges, why they are adding additional cabins to older ships, etc.

If an area/feature isn’t generating expected revenue, it won’t last. That’s why Panorama won’t have an IMAX and Thrill Theater. And getting back to the Havana area, the Havana Bar is not generating expected revenues. This is directly related to the Havana pool area being under utilized and why access has been expanded to allow guests in certain suites to use it. There is no doubt this also directly impacted the design and location of the Havana area on Mardi Gras. 

no doubt you.... what a jaded view.  Which cruise line is not out to maximize profits?  Royal Ha  NCL  Double ha. I can match you and then she on extra income on both lines. Here are some replies with another view....

Main show room made smaller because it was never full -  What they did with the space make total sense.

Imax - nobody went, pretty easy one there....

Havana was a home run, they are OVERJOYED with the sales there.  The concept is possibly the best they have had in a decade. Your view seems to knock them for having it and also for making it smaller.  Try it and then come back and tell me your thoughts....triple dog dare you...😉

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Havana was a home run, they are OVERJOYED with the sales there.  The concept is possibly the best they have had in a decade. Your view seems to knock them for having it and also for making it smaller.  Try it and then come back and tell me your thoughts....triple dog dare you...😉

I am not knocking the Havana area at all. But a previous poster said the premium he paid for a Havana cabin was sufficient to justify the Havana area, and that is not the way Carnival thinks. Carnival could not survive based on fares alone and depends heavily on guests spending money on their ships (this is not unique to Carnival). 

I have heard directly from more than one source that the Havana Bar is not coming close to producing the expected revenue, which is directly related to the fact the Havana area is often not very busy, meaning there are fewer guests buying drinks at the bar.  These same sources also told me my beloved Bud Light Lime would likely never come back because it didn’t sell well across their fleet, which is depressing news in my world. 

This may surprise you, but I have a Havana cabin booked on Horizon next June 27th. I prefer the Cloud 9 Spa cabins due to their location and access to the thermal suite. However, I already bought a couples pass for the thermal suite for this cruise, so it should work out well. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on my experience on both Vista and Horizon, and from what I have read online on this and several other sites, the Havana pool area was rarely crowded and frequently very under utilized. While this is great for people in Havana cabins (and certain suites), it isn’t a very efficient use of space. Carnival didn’t get to where it is today by making “stupid designs”. There is a big difference between designs that people don’t like (smaller lounges for example) and designs that are “stupid”. 

Whether or not people who have paid the upcharge to stay in the Havana area utilize the pool area or not is a totally moot point.  It could be totally empty in the pool or could be human soup like the aft pool is on the various Conquest Class ships.  Either way, Carnival has hit a home run with it and they generated more money.  It became popular on the Vista and because of this, additional cabins were added on the Horizon as well as the Panorama to further add more coinage to the coffers.  There is a certain percentage of seasoned cruisers that wish to not have to put up with human soup in the pool or deal with unruly rug rats hogging the hot tubs so they will gladly pay the extra money to stay in the Havana area.  Unfortunately, the beards decided to concentrate on the new Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras and have relegated the Havana area to second class citizenship.  This is fine, but with the size of the ship going from 135 to 180 K tons, there should have been enough real estate to still have the Havana area in a prime aft location similar to the Vista Class with an even larger pool and two hot tubs and still have the Excel suites up top for the first class passengers. The relegation of the Havana area to the side with no hot tubs, a smaller pool and even more cabins with access is a slap in the face to those cruisers that fell in love with that area on the Vista Class ships.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Whether or not people who have paid the upcharge to stay in the Havana area utilize the pool area or not is a totally moot point.  It could be totally empty in the pool or could be human soup like the aft pool is on the various Conquest Class ships.  Either way, Carnival has hit a home run with it and they generated more money.  It became popular on the Vista and because of this, additional cabins were added on the Horizon as well as the Panorama to further add more coinage to the coffers.  There is a certain percentage of seasoned cruisers that wish to not have to put up with human soup in the pool or deal with unruly rug rats hogging the hot tubs so they will gladly pay the extra money to stay in the Havana area.  Unfortunately, the beards decided to concentrate on the new Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras and have relegated the Havana area to second class citizenship.  This is fine, but with the size of the ship going from 135 to 180 K tons, there should have been enough real estate to still have the Havana area in a prime aft location similar to the Vista Class with an even larger pool and two hot tubs and still have the Excel suites up top for the first class passengers. The relegation of the Havana area to the side with no hot tubs, a smaller pool and even more cabins with access is a slap in the face to those cruisers that fell in love with that area on the Vista Class ships.

Or it could be as simple as what I heard at a recent Diamond special event that the Havana Bar on Vista and Horizon are not generating enough revenue and not close to what Carnival expected. 

The great thing about cruising is if a cruise line upsets you, which Carnival apparently did based on your slap in the face comment, there are lots of other cruise lines out there. 

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am not knocking the Havana area at all. But a previous poster said the premium he paid for a Havana cabin was sufficient to justify the Havana area, and that is not the way Carnival thinks. Carnival could not survive based on fares alone and depends heavily on guests spending money on their ships (this is not unique to Carnival). 

I have heard directly from more than one source that the Havana Bar is not coming close to producing the expected revenue, which is directly related to the fact the Havana area is often not very busy, meaning there are fewer guests buying drinks at the bar.  These same sources also told me my beloved Bud Light Lime would likely never come back because it didn’t sell well across their fleet, which is depressing news in my world. 

This may surprise you, but I have a Havana cabin booked on Horizon next June 27th. I prefer the Cloud 9 Spa cabins due to their location and access to the thermal suite. However, I already bought a couples pass for the thermal suite for this cruise, so it should work out well. 

Fair enough!  I was referring to the whole Havana experience.  It does not surprise me that the bar would be off from a revenue perspective when only the people at the Havana area frequents it during the day.  I would love to hear your thoughts after you cruise in a HC.  I do understand the logic of a spa cabin.  When we stayed in one on our first trip on the Splendor, it was the quietest hallway we ever had....by far.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:16 AM, tap_out said:

What did they do to the Havana area on Mardi Gras?

I prefer the Havana design on the Mardi Gras. I do not like the set up of the Vista class with that whole rear being dedicated to an elite class.  It seemed wasteful and reminiscent of cruising long ago.

And with there being a minimum age of 12 to stay in the Havana area, carnival seemed to be alienating a huge segment of their core client, families.

34 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

I prefer the Havana design on the Mardi Gras. I do not like the set up of the Vista class with that whole rear being dedicated to an elite class.  It seemed wasteful and reminiscent of cruising long ago.

And with there being a minimum age of 12 to stay in the Havana area, carnival seemed to be alienating a huge segment of their core client, families.

Where the space is makes it more or less amenable?  They are not alienating anyone, small foot print area that is available to those clients who are willing to pay a fairly hefty price to get that space for a portion of the day.  The space is available to all after 7.  I think it probably the single best thing cabin wise they have done in 10 years.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Where the space is makes it more or less amenable?  They are not alienating anyone, small foot print area that is available to those clients who are willing to pay a fairly hefty price to get that space for a portion of the day.  The space is available to all after 7.  I think it probably the single best thing cabin wise they have done in 10 years.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I felt the Vista class location made it elitist. I felt the age requirement alienated families who want to pay extra for a private area.

I prefer the Mardi Gras re-imagined versions of both concepts more. The Excel Loft 19 is apart from all of the areas, giving patrons that pvt area. The Havanna cabins are not centered around Prime real estate.

We can agree to disagree, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

I felt the Vista class location made it elitist. I felt the age requirement alienated families who want to pay extra for a private area.

Vista Class ships have the Family Harbor area dedicated to families...that could be viewed as "elitist" as well.  There is a special lounge with snacks and ice cream all day.  If I opt to pay extra for a Havana cabin, then I deserve to have the dedicated area on the ship, nothing elitist about it.

Stayed in a Havana Interior 3 weeks ago and absolutely LOVED not having kids running around, behaving badly, and using the hot tubs as their personal jumping pads.  Would pay for it again without hesitation.

12 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Vista Class ships have the Family Harbor area dedicated to families...that could be viewed as "elitist" as well.  There is a special lounge with snacks and ice cream all day.  If I opt to pay extra for a Havana cabin, then I deserve to have the dedicated area on the ship, nothing elitist about it.

Stayed in a Havana Interior 3 weeks ago and absolutely LOVED not having kids running around, behaving badly, and using the hot tubs as their personal jumping pads.  Would pay for it again without hesitation.

That is music to my ears. We are booked in the Havana area on Horizon next year for all the reasons you mentioned.

16 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

What about the well behaving kids, you do realize that Carnival is a family centric cruise line....right?

• Like 1

The fact that no one under age 12 can stay in the Havana area was/is a main selling point to me. I work with kids every day and when I'm on vacation, I just don't want them all over the place. I like them NOT being in the pool, not laying on the chair next to me, not whining because they can't go where ever, and not  jumping into the pool. It definitely has an adult vibe. The kids can stay up in Water Works.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 12:36 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Havana was a home run, they are OVERJOYED with the sales there.  The concept is possibly the best they have had in a decade.

It looks like a nice concept. If I were to sail on a ship that offered it, I could see myself upgrading to that room type. I don’t mind paying a bit extra to participate in a separation of the classes that includes a restricted pool area.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Has this changed recently?  When I was on Horizon earlier this year and on Vista in the past, the Havana area wasn’t opened to everyone until 7:00 PM. 

Originally, when the Vista was new, it was open after 5. They eventually changed it to after 7. 

10 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

The fact that no one under age 12 can stay in the Havana area was/is a main selling point to me. I work with kids every day and when I'm on vacation, I just don't want them all over the place. I like them NOT being in the pool, not laying on the chair next to me, not whining because they can't go where ever, and not  jumping into the pool. It definitely has an adult vibe. The kids can stay up in Water Works.

This was a selling point for me as well.  I have kids.  They are grown.  I get that the main pool has kids in it.  We didn't cruise with our kids till they were teens, but we chose to avoid the main pool because we didn't want all the splashing, jumping, screaming, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that and we like to see kids having fun, so we just choose other activities to do instead.

That being said, we specifically booked the Havana Cabana in order to have a quiet pool/hot tub experience.  We were willing to pay the higher price for that.  We sail in 14 days so hopefully it is exactly what we hope it will be.

17 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

I'm not sure this makes it elitist.  or at least not anymore than anything else.  Cruising has always been that you get more if you want to pay more.  Always.  Early cruising days had first class cabins on down.  If you could afford a first class cabin, you got the benefits that came with it.  Today's cruising is different, but the same.  Diamond/Plat members, FTTF, suites, Havana area, and the new area/cabins on Mardi Gras.  All come with perks if you are willing to pay the extra coin.

Other cruise lines have the same.  If you cruise a line considered a "luxury line" that comes with all the perks, you are forking out dollars for that experience.  Theme parks now have the same...you can pay extra to cut the line in front of all the other people.  

13 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

The FH being on deck 2 with it's special lounge is no different than the Excel Suites and I like the idea.

It's not elist. It's not taking some amenity normally used by all and privatizing it.

I like the concept of the Havana area as well. My issue was the chosen location for it on the Vista class.  I prefer the Mardi Gras' version more.

10 minutes ago, ishap said:

This was a selling point for me as well.  I have kids.  They are grown.  I get that the main pool has kids in it.  We didn't cruise with our kids till they were teens, but we chose to avoid the main pool because we didn't want all the splashing, jumping, screaming, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that and we like to see kids having fun, so we just choose other activities to do instead.

That being said, we specifically booked the Havana Cabana in order to have a quiet pool/hot tub experience.  We were willing to pay the higher price for that.  We sail in 14 days so hopefully it is exactly what we hope it will be.

I'm not sure this makes it elitist.  or at least not anymore than anything else.  Cruising has always been that you get more if you want to pay more.  Always.  Early cruising days had first class cabins on down.  If you could afford a first class cabin, you got the benefits that came with it.  Today's cruising is different, but the same.  Diamond/Plat members, FTTF, suites, Havana area, and the new area/cabins on Mardi Gras.  All come with perks if you are willing to pay the extra coin.

Other cruise lines have the same.  If you cruise a line considered a "luxury line" that comes with all the perks, you are forking out dollars for that experience.  Theme parks now have the same...you can pay extra to cut the line in front of all the other people.  

I like the concepts of the Havana Area, the FH area, the Excel suites etc. I think it provides more options for those willing to pay a little more.

I just prefer the Mardi Gras' location for the Havana area more. After seeing the deck plans for the Vista class. I had no desire to sail them. When MG was released we immediately began discussing which date we wanted to sail.

Edited by Herbaltees
spelling

21 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

I like the concepts of the Havana Area, the FH area, the Excel suites etc. I think it provides more options for those willing to pay a little more.

I just prefer the Mardi Gras' location for the Havana area more. After seeing the deck plans for the Vista class. I had no desire to sail them. When MG was released we immediately began discussing which date we wanted to sail.

I feel the opposite.  We are booked on the Mardi Gras out of Coppenhagen, and when I saw the Havana area on the deck plans, I decided to go regular cabin instead. (Well that and i wanted an upper blacony to be able to see the sights of European cities.)  But to each their own.  We all have things we like and everybody has their own likes.  But laying out the Mardi Gras differently will cater to different people, thereby giving more choices.  I'm all for that.  I just know that if I want a Havana area, I sail a Vista class.  

12 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

It looks like a nice concept. If I were to sail on a ship that offered it, I could see myself upgrading to that room type. I don’t mind paying a bit extra to participate in a separation of the classes that includes a restricted pool area.

Sounds like a plan!

We were on the September 15th sailing on the Horizon.  There were several Havana rooms that were not booked.  They were giving upgrades from regular interiors to aft extended balconies for $200.  We took the upgrade.  We were sailing on a very reduced casino rate to begin with, then upgraded for only $200 to the Havana.  We paid less than a regular priced interior for our Havana room. 

It was great to have that pool all to ourselves.  The last day was the busiest with maybe 15 people in the Havana area.  All other times there were only maybe 6 people utilizing the area. But come 7 pm, it was packed.