SkyRide got cancelled on Carnival Vista Aug 24 2019 sailing

grigosha

Newfie, you need to read the first post in this thread over again. It’s not just a simple “we are sad” message content. You are diluting what was said. They want something and that was the base of it. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ImANewfie said:

Doing a tiny thing for avoid disappointment for your children when they are children,  what comes around goes around, those children may be the ones caring for this parent in his older age, and having chicken rather than the beef dad doesnt like is returning the favor of avoiding disappointment for the parent in older age, as he did in younger age.   This debate is getting old.   The children were excited for the ride and it suck its not working, nothing can be done about it, but they can be disappointed just as us adults can be.  Have you, never been disappointed?  are you more of a human, because you are an adult, and have a right to experince disappointment but children cant....  simple, they chose a vacation, as a family, for various reasons, one being the skyride,  its not working, disappointing, period.

When did I ever say children cannot experience disappointment? Or are you another one of those "put words into your mouth" type of person. Using your analogy, the dad wants beef, but the children are being spiteful and purposely choosing to cook chicken. That doesn't compare to a child, who is spoiled, expecting every thing he asks for, he shall receive.

My daughter was not allowed on the ropes course because she was literally 1/2 inch too short. She was disappointed but got over it. Believe me she spoke about the ropes course for months leading up to cruise. She was crying and very upset. You know what cures it - waterslides, and a milkshake. Kids are not like us. They can get their rush in plenty of ways. 

Now for for the next cruise we put her in water every night and she has grown. So ropes course it is - but if it breaks we will find other things. After all this is a cruise not a one attraction wonder! 

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

No time. And realistically speaking, it would be virtually impossible to destruct the already constructed SkyRide then sketch, design, manufacture and assemble a product of similar weight and size in approximately 3 months. Hypothetically speaking, they could extend the ropes course to circle around the funnel, but that is also susceptible to breaking/the wind.

Yes-yes I am aware. It’s a cynical comment. 

I would say on some of the ships  - especially Disney they have a water ride in a tube/small raft that is clear and you can see through and also takes you around the ship. Maybe something they could look at for a retrofit if this ride continues to fail. It’s not reinventing something or being innovative but it sort of accomplishes the same idea of seeing the ship/water from a different angle. I speak, clearly not being an architect or able to tell you what that would cost - but I am pretty good at spending other people’s money like most others in this world. 

22 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Yes-yes I am aware. It’s a cynical comment. 

I would say on some of the ships  - especially Disney they have a water ride in a tube/small raft that is clear and you can see through and also takes you around the ship. Maybe something they could look at for a retrofit if this ride continues to fail. It’s not reinventing something or being innovative but it sort of accomplishes the same idea of seeing the ship/water from a different angle. I speak, clearly not being an architect or able to tell you what that would cost - but I am pretty good at spending other people’s money like most others in this world. 

Although I'd love to see a clear raft waterslide, we have to take into account two important factors. One would obviously be the weight of the slide given water is not light, and I do not know if it would outweigh the weight of the SkyRide. Also, there would need to be another pump room (where the water is stored, treated and pressurized). Finally, where would the waterslide end? Would it extend to the already present waterworks area? Or would it be in the same area as the ropes course?

24 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Although I'd love to see a clear raft waterslide, we have to take into account two important factors. One would obviously be the weight of the slide given water is not light, and I do not know if it would outweigh the weight of the SkyRide. Also, there would need to be another pump room (where the water is stored, treated and pressurized). Finally, where would the waterslide end? Would it extend to the already present waterworks area? Or would it be in the same area as the ropes course?

All good questions. I think I am more an ideas guy than logistics of this. 

Im not saying it even possible - but it’s a shame that these rides are there and are not functional for long periods of time. They are selling it as an attraction but agree don’t pick a ship for one attraction or you can and be very disappointed when it’s closed. 

13 hours ago, grigosha said:

Cruise critics are on-offence! Sorry, but I can't take parential advise from an internet persona.

Mods, please lock this down!

So you started this thread and now you want the mods to close it because you don’t like the way it is going? That goes along with your sense of entitlement...i.e. if I don’t get my way I am not happy. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That goes along with your sense of entitlement...i.e. if I don’t get my way I am not happy. 

He also seems to think his kids our entitled too with the request of arcade credit which appease to his kids.

2 hours ago, ImANewfie said:

...  simple, they chose a vacation, as a family, for various reasons, one being the skyride,  its not working, disappointing, period.

Exactly. Kids don’t ask for cabin upgrades or OBC to cover disappointment. After the initial disappointment they say, OK what else can I do instead and move on.

Edited by 2wheelin

9 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

He also seems to think his kids our entitled too with the request of arcade credit which appease to his kids.

Cruise enough and they will be platinum and get the $5 credit to the arcade.

• Like 2

The Skyride really seems like a 1 and done thing for a lot of people.  The line seems to get long, and it takes awhile, even though multiple people go at a time.  It's probably one of those things that's cool to do once, but I don't get the sense that a lot of people (including kids) are eager to do it over and over again.  

The good news, OP, is you and your kids picked a ship with tons of other fun stuff to do- the ropes course, sports square, waterworks, etc.  Also, all of these things have more repeat value than the Skyride. That's my opinion, but also reading reviews on here, I've yet to see one where anyone wants to do the ride over and over, but kids certainly do the ropes course or water slides over and over. 

If you haven't booked your excursions yet, maybe pick something active and adventurous to do in one of the ports- zip lining would get your boys up high and flying thru the air. 

My cruise on the Horizon isn't til February, so while I'm hopeful the Skyride is open by then, I sort of doubt it.  It seems this thing has had so many problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

So you started this thread and now you want the mods to close it because you don’t like the way it is going? That goes along with your sense of entitlement...i.e. if I don’t get my way I am not happy. 

Yup, I get critique, parental advises, concerns that my kids picked this cruise, clues of incompetence, etc.

You bet, I want this to end!

Edited by grigosha

I totally get the disappointment of the ride not being open,  shoot, I'm disappointed that when I'm on the Horizon later this fall that the skyride likely won't be operational as I'm a big kid and I was looking forward to it more than my wife and kids.  I did not choose the ship because of that feature, but it was part of the big picture.  

I also don't think anybody should be expecting or thinking that there should be compensation for the ride being down.  For instance,  my kids and I love the 4D rides at Universal...the Spiderman and Transformers rides in particular (the 4d rides are part of why when I go to vacation in Orlando my kids prefer Universal to Disney).  If they were down during my visit,  we'd be disappointed, no doubt but we'd just have to roll with the flow, still enjoy ourselves,  every resort/vacation area has times when attractions have to close.

I do question whether this coaster they are putting on the Mardi Gras will suffer the same fate.

OP,  enjoy your cruise,  I'm sure you all of you will still have a blast.

54 minutes ago, grigosha said:

Folks, whoever has cruised on Carnival ... is there a place for a 16-year old to connect with folks his age on the ship?

Thank you for all your feedback.

There is a teen club.  Your 16 year old would be in Club O2 which is 15-17.  Make sure to go the first night.  They have activities but a lot of the teens just walk around, get pizza, get ice cream, play basketball, whatever.  The club is more like a meeting point than like day camp.  Friendships are formed that first night, so it's important to go then.  

16 hours ago, grigosha said:

Cruise critics are on-offence! Sorry, but I can't take parential advise from an internet persona.

Mods, please lock this down!

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

59 minutes ago, grigosha said:

Yup, I get critique, parental advises, concerns that my kids picked this cruise, clues of incompetence, etc.

52 minutes ago, grigosha said:

Folks, whoever has cruised on Carnival ... is there a place for a 16-year old to connect with folks his age on the ship?

Thank you for all your feedback.

I thought you wanted the moderators to delete YOUR (thread/soap opera) that this has turned into?

I'm confused, something is definitely not right.

Question to fellow members:

Are these Skyride threads being created by the same Cruise Critic member using multiple screen names??

🤔         🤔

9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

No time. And realistically speaking, it would be virtually impossible to destruct the already constructed SkyRide then sketch, design, manufacture and assemble a product of similar weight and size in approximately 3 months. Hypothetically speaking, they could extend the ropes course to circle around the funnel, but that is also susceptible to breaking/the wind.

It exhausts me just thinking about doing a ropes course that goes around that far. LOL There's really nothing that can replace it since it's elevated. It's very limited as to what it can be. And anything that might replace it will have its own set of problems, like the Bolt. As someone else mentioned, if they can't keep the SkyRide consistently up & running, what happens to a mini roller coaster?

6 hours ago, ImANewfie said:

and i believe OP is more disappointment that seeking $$ realistically.  Yes he said hope they give them some arcade credits ( i  can understand that too) children can be fickle, not spoiled not uncontrollable, but sometimes when a smile is removed so easily ( the down of the skytrack) something else so simple can help bring it back( arcade credits)

It's the parent's responsibility to then ensure that their children are entertained in a situation like this. If that means more time in the arcade, fine, but it's not Carnival's responsibility to provide the money to do it. The SkyRide isn't just a ride for kids. Adults who wanted to ride it have to find other methods of entertaining themselves, to which there are plenty, and if kids can't do the same for themselves, then it falls on their parents to help them.

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Newfie, you need to read the first post in this thread over again. It’s not just a simple “we are sad” message content. You are diluting what was said. They want something and that was the base of it. 

Exactly. The OP's first two posts were clearly based around being deserving of compensation. Just like the other two threads that popped up yesterday (one was deleted). It wasn't until later that they made it more about the disappointment. By then, people saw it for what it was.

4 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I was thinking about this very thing myself. Something that is elevated that could take up similar space as the SkyRide. First thing that came to my mind was a long (longer than current slides), more gradual waterslide. They're very common in water parks. But I think the point jbethel was getting at was, on existing ships that already have the SkyRide, weight and weight distribution is already accounted for overall. They were designed and built factoring in the specs of the SkyRide and to change it to something else, I'm assuming, is easier said than done. But it could still be done on future ships. I think it'd be a very popular feature.

32 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Question to fellow members:

Are these Skyride threads being created by the same Cruise Critic member using multiple screen names??

🤔         🤔

I found it odd that they all popped up at nearly the same time. Some of them creating new accounts just to post it, most of them very similar in nature. But alas, the OP accused me of being a conspiracy theorist for thinking such things. 😥 If they had spent enough time on here, maybe they wouldn't think it was so far-fetched. I was surprised that the OP knew how to tag other users only a couple hours after creating their account. Most users here don't even know that feature exists, let alone how to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grigosha said:

You can unfollow a thread. Top of the page to the right of the thread title. Click to open the drop-down menu next to "Following" and click Unfollow. You'll no longer get notifications of posts & replies.