Carnival Sunrise NYC Terminal relocation 9/16/19

Jamman54

I think the way they notified us was inconsiderate, to say the least! This change will cost me 150 for parking ( since it is now too far for my already arranged ride to take me) as well as about 50 in extra tolls. Brooklyn is very out of the way with no easy way to get there. I know people who are not internet friendly will wind up going to NYC instead. They need to send real letters and should have arranged for shuttles from the pier in NYC for those who will now be unable to easily get to Brooklyn. 

• Haha 1

I agree. It's only a month out so they have to know people have already booked transportation to the pier. I find it hard to believe that they are just now finding out or that the decision was only just now made to start construction.

I know that I'd be seriously bummed if this happened to us- we've always wanted to visit NYC and talked about taking a cruise from there and spending some time in advance visiting Manhattan... plus that trip down the river, seeing the Statue of Liberty, the Verrazzano Bridge and other sites are a thing that memories are made of!

1 minute ago, carol TC said:

does anyone know how much parking there is and is it open we have a truck and not sure if it would fit in a garage

Brooklyn terminal is an open lot, the per day rate is about 25 dollars a day

9 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I know that I'd be seriously bummed if this happened to us- we've always wanted to visit NYC and talked about taking a cruise from there and spending some time in advance visiting Manhattan... plus that trip down the river, seeing the Statue of Liberty, the Verrazzano Bridge and other sites are a thing that memories are made of!

It is very disappointing.    I have done it twice before, but my travel companion has not.  This is only her second cruise and we were both looking forward to sailing out of Manhattan.  Of course, car service will cost more, too.  Ugh.  

Edited by antmaril

Yes, I'm pretty disappointed. We've never cruised out of NY and this will probably be our only one as we are from the south. We had also already booked a Super Shuttle from the airport to the Manhattan Terminal and tickets to visit the Intrepid Museum next to the Manhattan Terminal. Luckily with the delayed embarkation we can still make it work but we now have an additional transportation fee to take care of. And we also already booked tickets to go to the top of the One World Observatory the day we get back to NY which again now has double the transportation cost because of the terminal change. 

11 minutes ago, jlacy1987 said:

Yes, I'm pretty disappointed. We've never cruised out of NY and this will probably be our only one as we are from the south. We had also already booked a Super Shuttle from the airport to the Manhattan Terminal and tickets to visit the Intrepid Museum next to the Manhattan Terminal. Luckily with the delayed embarkation we can still make it work but we now have an additional transportation fee to take care of. And we also already booked tickets to go to the top of the One World Observatory the day we get back to NY which again now has double the transportation cost because of the terminal change. 

Be aware traffic going to/from Brooklyn can be a nightmare on weekdays so give yourself double the amount of time you think you need to get to Brooklyn. 

Yes that's what I'm being told. Luckily we had already picked the 1:30-2:00 embarkation time so now we have until 3:30-4:00 to be on the ship. Landing at 9:30am, I'm hoping we'll still be able to make the Intrepid Museum work. 

Hello, I am on the Sept 22 sailing. Was lookin forward to sale away but I'll go with the flow. My real concern now is transportation. I am staying at a midown hotel near Empire State. Originally, figured a taxi woul be easiest to get to the pier. I have luggage and do not want to manage it on the subway. Suggestions?

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Just got this email from Carnival. Won't affect us since we'll be using a car service that day, but what about the people driving in, especially if we return to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal when the cruise is over? This could turn out to be a real cluster....:classic_wacko:

What car service may I ask?

4 minutes ago, madamerkf said:

My PVP told me embarkation times are the same, contrary to what the letter says. 

I think the embarkation times are only delayed on the 9/16/19 sailing.  The 9/22 sailing appears to be unchanged.  

3 minutes ago, GMRPHRN said:

Hello, I am on the Sept 22 sailing. Was lookin forward to sale away but I'll go with the flow. My real concern now is transportation. I am staying at a midown hotel near Empire State. Originally, figured a taxi woul be easiest to get to the pier. I have luggage and do not want to manage it on the subway. Suggestions?

What car service may I ask?

The car service that I will be using is local to my town here in New Jersey. Your hotel should be able to hook you up with one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madamerkf said:

I think the way they notified us was inconsiderate, to say the least! This change will cost me 150 for parking ( since it is now too far for my already arranged ride to take me) as well as about 50 in extra tolls. Brooklyn is very out of the way with no easy way to get there. I know people who are not internet friendly will wind up going to NYC instead. They need to send real letters and should have arranged for shuttles from the pier in NYC for those who will now be unable to easily get to Brooklyn. 

How should they have notified you that would be better?  Shuttles to Brooklyn for who knows how many, how would they figure out who needs them, who would coordinate it what time would you need to get there to ensure timely transfer, who loads and unloads the bags, coordinate the baggage with each person, etc etc etc.   They will be notified, take that off the list.  Is it the way they notified you or the cost that bothers you most?

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

Now this part I understand, it is the best sail away in the US.  That said,  things happen......, 

Edited by jimbo5544

It’s both. As someone who plans my trips in advance the last thing I feel like doing is re-planning how I will get there and get home. As to how I was notified it was a blank email with a pdf attachment that I almost trashed because it looked like spam. And I know that there will be some people, most probably the older cruisers who don’t use the internet or those coming from other countries that will still show up at the NYC port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlacy1987 said:

I agree. It's only a month out so they have to know people have already booked transportation to the pier. I find it hard to believe that they are just now finding out or that the decision was only just now made to start construction.

Do you think they sat on the info just to ruin your cruise?  I have no idea what the work that is being done, but that terminal, anything at all would cause a significant disruption.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madamerkf said:

It’s both. As someone who plans my trips in advance the last thing I feel like doing is re-planning how I will get there and get home. As to how I was notified it was a blank email with a pdf attachment that I almost trashed because it looked like spam. And I know that there will be some people, most probably the older cruisers who don’t use the internet or those coming from other countries that will still show up at the NYC port.

I understand the disruption and the effect it has on how you planned your vacation.  Let the non tech savvy people worry about their own vacation., I assume their is a fallback plan if no email is entered.  

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do you think they sat on the info just to ruin your cruise?  I have no idea what the work that is being done, but that terminal, anything at all would cause a significant disruption.  

It does not ruin my cruise just causes a nuisance in boarding and disembarking. I 

• Like 4

Sounds like a fair reply, I would like to see what the maintenance that will be done is, but I doubt we will ever here what it is.  As previously stated, that pier in optimal conditions can be trying at times.  If the  maintenance is substantial it could bring the embarkation/debarkation process to a standstill. I have been to the Brooklyn pier a couple times to tour ships (Grand Princess and QMII).  It is not an easy get to, but once inside, much bigger than Pier 88 or 90.  I do understand the friction the changes make to peoples vacations, but stuff really does happen.  I hope all cruisers on that sailing take the high road and enjoy and make the most out of their cruise.  

It sounds like all Sunrise sailings have moved to Brooklyn until she heads south for the winter.  I wonder if they are getting the Manhattan terminals ready for a busy 2020. The Legend is doing some sailings in May from Manhattan before she heads to Europe.  Sunrise and Radiance sailing next summer from Manhattan and the Mardi Gras coming in September.  We are on the Legend May 16th and Mardi Gras September 24th. The Sunrise is there also September 24th so it is going to be a great year for Carnival in NY. Maybe they are prepping pier 92 for all this fun😀

Edited by beachnsnowbunny

8 minutes ago, beachnsnowbunny said:

It sounds like all Sunrise sailings have moved to Brooklyn until she heads south for the winter.  I wonder if they are getting the Manhattan terminals ready for a busy 2020. The Legend is doing some sailings in May from Manhattan before she heads to Europe.  Sunrise and Radiance sailing next summer from Manhattan and the Mardi Gras coming in September.  We are on the Legend May 16th and Mardi Gras September 24th. The Sunrise is there also September 24th so it is going to be a great year for Carnival in NY. Maybe they are prepping pier 92 for all this fun😀

That’s positive thinking.

May I take it one step forward and say maybe they are preparing to keep a ship here all year🤪 (one can dream). 

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

That’s positive thinking.

May I take it one step forward and say maybe they are preparing to keep a ship here all year🤪 (one can dream). 

Might be more than one step......but we are on a roll