Carnival Sunrise NYC Terminal relocation 9/16/19

Jamman54

On 8/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, Kellyann said:

Our bus is scheduled to arrive at Port Authority at 12:10. Don't know how long it'll take to get to Brooklyn from there and will we make it in time.   I'll have to check to see if there is a bus from there to Brooklyn's bus terminal and then how far to pier.  Or as you suggested get a taxi.  Then coming home we had tix out of Port Authority at 1:00 so I'm sure we'll never make it. 

I still haven't received any communication from Carnival about this change.  UGH!

You are about 30 minutes from Port Authority to the Pier in Bklyn...

On 8/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, BroadwayGirl said:

I’m from NJ. We’re taking NJ transit train into Penn station and getting a car service. Your best bet is to grab a cab,Uber, Lyft or arrange for a car service or Uber from Port authority. You can still use your tickets for the bus. 

Just go outside at Port Authority, there will be a ton of yellow cabs around.

On 8/16/2019 at 5:46 PM, RRLLAL said:

They did not screw with their passengers. Carnival does not own nor manage the port authority. 

That was what I was thinking! I'm sure Carnival would have preferred not to have these issues, but it's not like they have a lot of choice!

On 8/16/2019 at 6:04 PM, madamerkf said:

My suggestion was for the OP to increase a one hour window to two on account of traffic that can occur going from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I would allow an extra hour to be safe coming from PA. 

Thanks 🙂 We plan to arrive around 1:30, which still gives extra room for a 5:00 all-aboard.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, jlacy1987 said:

Yes that's what I'm being told. Luckily we had already picked the 1:30-2:00 embarkation time so now we have until 3:30-4:00 to be on the ship. Landing at 9:30am, I'm hoping we'll still be able to make the Intrepid Museum work. 

You can do a decent tour of the Intrepid in 3-4 hours.  A thorough tour takes all day.   I used the audio tour (additional charge) to listen to info about key areas.  So you can get there by 10:30-11:00, tour until 3, and be on your way at 3 to be safely on board by 5.  Eat just a snack to save time... the ship's buffet and restaurants await you...

On 8/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, Kellyann said:

Five of us just bought our non-refundable tickets on Greyhound to Port Authority terminal.  I am not familiar with NYC and I only knew how to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  We just loss our round trip bus money and now I don't know how to get to Brooklyn.  They should not be able to screw their passengers like this.  With all the negative reviews about this ship and now this, I know now I made a big mistake.  Anyone familiar with Brooklyn and Manhattan that can help me figure out what we should do.  We're coming from South Jersey.

You didn't have any better options than the bus to Port Authority anyway.  Taxi/Uber/Lyft from there to Brooklyn.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, Kellyann said:

Our bus is scheduled to arrive at Port Authority at 12:10. Don't know how long it'll take to get to Brooklyn from there and will we make it in time.   I'll have to check to see if there is a bus from there to Brooklyn's bus terminal and then how far to pier.  Or as you suggested get a taxi.  Then coming home we had tix out of Port Authority at 1:00 so I'm sure we'll never make it. 

I still haven't received any communication from Carnival about this change.  UGH!

Are you on the first one with the delayed sailing time?  Plenty of time.  If not, there is still time but not much room for late arrival of the bus.

34 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

You can do a decent tour of the Intrepid in 3-4 hours.  A thorough tour takes all day.   I used the audio tour (additional charge) to listen to info about key areas.  So you can get there by 10:30-11:00, tour until 3, and be on your way at 3 to be safely on board by 5.  Eat just a snack to save time... the ship's buffet and restaurants await you...

I ended up filing a claim with my travel insurance. I booked it independent of the cruise and added cancel for any reason coverage so hopefully they'll cover the cost of the museum tickets. I was able to get a refund on our SuperShuttle to the Manhattan port. I took someone's suggestion and booked a car service through Carmel to get us from LGA to the Brooklyn Bridge Park where we will spend a few hours before boarding the cruise ship. Ended up being less than $50. 

And then our new plan for disembarkation day is to take a couple of buses to the Prospect Park Zoo before doing the Carmel car service again to get back to LGA. 

Edited by jlacy1987
  • Like 1

Here's a great guide to the Brooklyn Terminal:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/brooklyn-cruise-terminal-visitors-guide-1613372 

And here's how to get there with public transit if you are brave and mobile enough.  I can provide more detail about how to do this if anyone is interested. Quote me in a reply and I post more.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-Brooklyn_Cruise_Terminal-NYCNJ-site_23103490-121 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

And here's how to get there with public transit if you are brave and mobile enough.  I can provide more detail about how to do this if anyone is interested. Quote me in a reply and I post more.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-Brooklyn_Cruise_Terminal-NYCNJ-site_23103490-121 

Thank you for the visitors guide!  That is helpful to see photos, etc!

On 8/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, Long Island65 said:

I got off the Sunrise on August 7th and we noticed when were leaving NY  there was equipment in the water at the next pier over  it looked like the were digging a big hole under the water - a backhoe like thing was bring up "mud" lol.  They were still doing this a week later when we returned - I wonder if this has anything to do with Carnival having to move to Brooklyn.  Glad we were able to leave from NYC and I feel for everyone who was planning on leaving from NYC and now has to find a way  to get to Brooklyn but at least cruises weren't cancelled - I know easy for me to say because my cruise wasn't affected.  I hope everyone has a great time despite the aggravation.  BTW I LOVED the Sunrise - no complaints at all - in fact I booked her again for next summer

They were doing the same thing at the end of our 7/22 cruise.

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Is the area fairly walkable in case we get there early and want a bite to eat?  Uneven sidewalks are fine, since we would leave the luggage in the car - but we would want some type of sidewalk.

24 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Is the area fairly walkable in case we get there early and want a bite to eat?  Uneven sidewalks are fine, since we would leave the luggage in the car - but we would want some type of sidewalk.

Alas it is not.  The area is rather industrial/auto shop type.  And it's a half mile from the entry gate to the terminal building and even farther to the parking area.  You'd need to talk a taxi realistically.  If you are driving, you are better off finding street or lot parking in Brooklyn's downtown and looking around there before continuing into the port.  Look up the location of the NY Transit Museum - that's an area you could walk around a bit and find some food. And the museum is cool too.

I am trying to get to the bottom of the pier number mystery.

As everyone knows, Horizon crashed into Pier 90, not 92.  And usually docks at Pier 90, not 92.

The emergency repairs are being made to Pier 92, which is part of the "convention space" that spans Piers 92 and 94. Look at a Google Map close up and you will see what I mean.  I found local articles about an art exhibit being canceled because the pier was deemed unsafe.

So here are my theories.  1. Repair work to Pier 92 interferes with use of Pier 90.  And that Carnival's letter is incorrectly referring to Pier 92 as the place of docking.  2. It is the season of New England/Canada cruises. More ships stop in Manhattan in Sept./Oct. than any other time, and during these times Piers 88, 90, and 92 do all get used normally.  So they may be shifting the use of 92 to 90, and shifting Sunrise to Brooklyn because it can be handled there easily.

23 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Alas it is not.  The area is rather industrial/auto shop type.  And it's a half mile from the entry gate to the terminal building and even farther to the parking area.  You'd need to talk a taxi realistically.  If you are driving, you are better off finding street or lot parking in Brooklyn's downtown and looking around there before continuing into the port.  Look up the location of the NY Transit Museum - that's an area you could walk around a bit and find some food. And the museum is cool too.

Just a heads up... museum is closed on Monday. Many restaurants are closed as well. It’s a pretty deserted area to be honest so might be best to just board the ship early, eat, and settle in. 

40 minutes ago, jlacy1987 said:

You can always walk around the Brooklyn Bridge Park! That's what our plan is and then we can take the ferry down to Red Hook which is right next to the cruise terminal. 

Ah yes.  The ferry does go right to where the entrance to the port is located.  But as I said, you have a half mile walk to the actual cruise terminal from there.

1 hour ago, madamerkf said:

Just a heads up... museum is closed on Monday. Many restaurants are closed as well. It’s a pretty deserted area to be honest so might be best to just board the ship early, eat, and settle in. 

Well rats.  Sorry. Did not realize it will be a Monday!

10 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Ah yes.  The ferry does go right to where the entrance to the port is located.  But as I said, you have a half mile walk to the actual cruise terminal from there.

From the Red Hook ferry terminal, it's still a half mile walk to the cruise terminal?

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Thanks.  The linked article mentioned a few food places, but at least one was dinner and weekend brunches only.  Google Maps was even in satellite view was a little hard to tell.  Our plan is to stop at Stroudsburg for lunch on the way, just thought based on the article Brooklyn might be better.

1 hour ago, madamerkf said:

Good thought, but we are on the cruise where they are switching ports so we might not even be able to enter until 2:30 if they enforce waiting 2 hours from original arrival appointment.  We are aiming to get there around 1:30 with the hope we can get in a little early while also allowing extra time for traffic.

For those disappointed by the prospect of sailaway from Brooklyn instead of Manhattan, here are a couple of photos of our sailaway on QM2 from Brooklyn last month. As a bonus, you get a better view of the East River bridges in Brooklyn.

My understanding is that Pier 92 has been deemed unsafe. It certainly looked abandoned when we drove past it this past Thursday for our Sunrise cruise, and the sidewalk is blocked off with a fence. I remember that they used to use the parking area on top of the pier even after they stopped docking ships there. The work at Pier 90 is in Berth 3 - they're dredging the berth. Early in his engineering career DH worked on a dredge; on Thursday he was happy to sit on the Lido Deck and watch the dredge crew at work - and tell me all about what the dredge was doing.😃

023 Lower Manhattan.JPG

029 Statue of Liberty.JPG

• Thanks 1

Also the view of Manhattan is pretty cool so look to starboard and then aft as you pull out.  Once you clear Governor's Island there is a great view across the water to the Battery and Financial District.  And the Brooklyn Bridge.

And since the main channel is out a ways, you will get a view of the Statue of Liberty that is quite decent... and you will be half the distance that the Royal ships are when they sail from Cape Liberty!

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thanks.  The linked article mentioned a few food places, but at least one was dinner and weekend brunches only.  Google Maps was even in satellite view was a little hard to tell.  Our plan is to stop at Stroudsburg for lunch on the way, just thought based on the article Brooklyn might be better.

Good thought, but we are on the cruise where they are switching ports so we might not even be able to enter until 2:30 if they enforce waiting 2 hours from original arrival appointment.  We are aiming to get there around 1:30 with the hope we can get in a little early while also allowing extra time for traffic.

I am on the sept 16 cruise where they are switching but am going to get to Brooklyn early since I am platinum and like to be on the ship early. I am hoping they have the platinum lounge set up in Brooklyn since I know I might be waiting a bit to get on. NYC traffic always scares me ( I am coming from Orange County/suburbs) so I never underestimate it. All it takes is one bad accident or construction and one can literally sit for hours. I usually either get a ride or take the train down to NYC and then hop in a cab to the pier. I am thinking it will be a little bit disorganized for my sailing.