Cruise Terminal Changed from NY to Brooklyn

jlacy1987

Carnival has changed our cruise terminal from NYC to Brooklyn for our September cruise. Does anyone know how long and how much the taxi fare might be to get from one cruise terminal to the other? We already pre-booked tickets to go to the Intrepid Museum next to the original terminal and I'm just curious what we might can expect cost-wise for taxi fare. We would take the subway but it doesn't go near the Brooklyn terminal. 

Edited by jlacy1987

Taxi fares vary a lot depending on the traffic, but average might be in the $45 to $50 range, plus tip and tolls. If you want to eliminate the traffic variable you can take a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial, probably for about what I quoted above.

My concern would be about the time it will take for you to get to the Brooklyn pier. Give yourself an hour, even though it should take much less time in "normal" traffic.

I'll have a carry-on and my husband and stepson will each have a backpack. Intrepid says you keep bags with you. I'm going to call my travel insurance tomorrow and see if I can get reimbursed the cost of the tickets and instead find stuff to do in Brooklyn. 

56 minutes ago, jlacy1987 said:

I'll have a carry-on and my husband and stepson will each have a backpack. Intrepid says you keep bags with you. I'm going to call my travel insurance tomorrow and see if I can get reimbursed the cost of the tickets and instead find stuff to do in Brooklyn. 

It also says this: "Guests are encouraged to avoid open-toed sandals, high-heels, necklaces or other items that can get caught, as well as bags that are too heavy to carry comfortably."  I haven't been on the Intrepid, but I suspect that having a carry-on might prove a bit unwieldy getting around an aircraft carrier.  (Again, I'm not saying this from personal experience.)

I hope you get it all sorted out!

Also, a point of correction. Carnival did not change your port. The Port of NYC changed the assigned berth from the Manhattan terminal to Brooklyn. Carnival had nothing to do with it, other than following the direction of the port authority.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CruisnMom007 said:

Our sailing son 9/29 same issue. Anyone familiar with or have suggestions for a shuttle service from Times Square to Brooklyn Terminal? 

Not a shuttle service... you can book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo , or Uber/Lyft, or a NY City taxi.

• Like 1

You might want to check Uber pricing before you hop in a taxi.  Lots of Uber rides in NYC and their prices are sometimes (not always) a bargain compared to taxis.  Also consider that if you get stuck in traffic with a taxi the meter just keeps on ticking.  With Uber or Lyft it is a fixed price and generally a lot less money then "black cars."

Hank

• Like 1