Thon Opera Hotel

lonagarr

It looks like very easy access from the train station.  You should be able to get a train from the airport there easily if you're not already being transported by Viking. 

We will be there next summer on our pre-excusrion.  I hope you'll post a review when you get back! We'd love to know what you think and any tips you have. 

Which pre-extension are you doing? 

Have a marvelous time!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

It looks like very easy access from the train station.  You should be able to get a train from the airport there easily if you're not already being transported by Viking. 

We will be there next summer on our pre-excusrion.  I hope you'll post a review when you get back! We'd love to know what you think and any tips you have. 

Have a marvelous time!

Yes. The Flytoget airport express train runs from Oslo Central Station, literally out the back door of the hotel, directly into the airport. The signs in the airport are clear. The train runs every 10 or 20 minutes like clockwork. You buy tickets from a simple-to-use machine. The trains are designed for passengers with luggage. A taxi to or from the airport will take 2-3 times as long and cost much more. The walk from the tracks for Flytoget in the Central Station is about as close to the Thon Opera Hotel as the Explorer's Lounge is to the World Cafe on a VO ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Have a marvelous time!

We're on the Trade Routes of the Midde Ages cruise, and our pre extension is a day touring Oslo and then taking the scenic train ride to Bergen the next day. We are really excited and so looking forward to it. I will be glad to post a review and pics once we return. Hope you have a great time, too! Happy Travels!

We stayed at the Thon Opera February 2019 following our "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise.  We disembarked in Bergen, stayed one night at the Thon Orion, then took the scenic train to Oslo.  The Thon Opera is right next door to the train station.  Great hotel chain as others mentioned, clean, free breakfast.  We stayed in Oslo for three nights before returning home.  We toured the Opera House, Peace Museum and Fortress.  The art museum was closed for renovations.  Hope you enjoy your cruise and time in Norway!

10 hours ago, lonagarr said:

We're on the Trade Routes of the Midde Ages cruise, and our pre extension is a day touring Oslo and then taking the scenic train ride to Bergen the next day. We are really excited and so looking forward to it. I will be glad to post a review and pics once we return. Hope you have a great time, too! Happy Travels!

We are doing the Trade Routes next September and Viking has the Thon Opera Hotel listed for us as well. Looking forward to that train ride!  I am eagerly awaiting your review 😁

We are on Trade Routes next month, and although the Thon Opera was listed as the possible hotel, it has now been confirmed to be the Radisson Blue Plazza. It too is in a good location, but just be mindful that your plans may be changed.

23 hours ago, Lorizack said:

We are on Trade Routes next month, and although the Thon Opera was listed as the possible hotel, it has now been confirmed to be the Radisson Blue Plazza. It too is in a good location, but just be mindful that your plans may be changed.

Long as they don’t change the train ride to a bus I’m good! 😁

• Like 1

We also were at the Thon. We used Viking's pre-cruise Oslo extension before the Northern Lights trip back in March (yes...THAT one!). I have to echo what has already been said - great hotel, great location. Plus, the breakfast buffet is AMAZING...certainly among the best we've had on any trip. I think you'll really like it. 

Thon is the 'Holiday Inn' of Norway.  There are several Thon hotels in downtown Oslo.

Nice, clean, not super fancy but nothing to complain about. We stayed in Thon Terminus, also just a short walk from the train depot (which is huge). A very nice breakfast AND a dinner were included in the price (we booked on our own)

One small word of warning depending on WHEN you go.  We went last July and Norway was experiencing a major heat wave .... temps in the high 90's ..... it is VERY unusual to find air conditioning in Norway and this INCLUDES major hotels in the big cities ..... even the Radisson Blu in Oslo has no a/c . . .  .   MOST of the time this is a non-issue but if you have our kind of luck . . . .

We stayed there last summl was "okay".  The room was functional but the AC was less so ... probably as we were on the west facing side of the hotel and the afternoon sun worked its magic and we were sweltering until well after midnight each night.  Opening the windows helped but it was very noisy and the light from the outside Figures we were there on two of the only sunny days for the year!!

Just ask at check in for a room on the shady side of the building!

Edited by molymoo

We also stayed at the Thon Terminus while in Oslo. It is convenient to the Central Station, has a terrific breakfast buffet, dinner buffet offerings are a bit sparse. We just missed the 90 degree days. I could not imagine sweating that out with no AC.

We stayed at at Thon Opera in June after VH cruise -   great location,  especially if traveling to/from airport or train, wonderful breakfast.  Rooms were average size for Europe, very clean and staff was very attentive.  Easy walk to harbor and to Hop on Hop off bus.  Would recommend and will stay there again on next trip to Oslo.