Northern Lights Cruise does it exist

hospsafe

I have looked at HL, Regent and the rest.  If I am going to go see the Northern Lights in 2020 I would prefer to do it on a "boat" Does a Northern Lights cruise even exist because I havent been able to find one.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Hurtigruten   do some

I think some of the British lines   but not luxury

May i add life on board Hurtigruten is extremely expensive especially for drinks - it is Norwegian also the prices on board!!

Viking Ocean has a specific “In Search of the Northern Lights” cruise.  It’s very popular, and sells out quickly, but it’s worth checking out and perhaps getting onto the waitlist if the cabin type you’re most interested in is already booked.

• 1 month later...

For a cruise going to see the northern lights you might to look for the smaller expedition ships. The luxury and larger liners will not be in that area anymore once it gets darker earlier and colder. But if you find one, let us know, it is still on my bucket list to see!!

On 8/15/2019 at 6:49 PM, hospsafe said:

I have looked at HL, Regent and the rest.  If I am going to go see the Northern Lights in 2020 I would prefer to do it on a "boat" Does a Northern Lights cruise even exist because I havent been able to find one.

You may want to a look at Cunard’s Queen Victoria, not a luxury but nicer than Huntegruten. She has two, one in October and another in November. We are considering the one in October even if the chance to see the Aurora is less. November maybe to cold and higher chances of rough seas, which I can’t do too well. 

Edited by quepaquete

The best luxury option for the Arctic at this point is the Scenic Eclipse. That will change in the next year or two as Crystal and Seabourn introduce their expedition ships. Also check out Silversea (they have several expedition ships although they are all old and renovated.)

• Like 1

As usual, wripro has given excellent advice.  I would check out the cruise lines/ships he mentioned.  I know in the case of the new Crystal Endeavor vessel there are itineraries which would provide opportunity for Northern Lights but this would be 2021 as the ones for 2020 after it comes out in August, 2020 wouldn't provide the opportunity for Northern Lights.

Keith

I've always thought that the best way to possibly see the Northern Lights is on a land trip. I know there are specific Northern Lights trips to Iceland every winter. I've also been told that Japanese couples go to Fairbanks, Alaska every winter as it's considered good luck for a child to be conceived under the Northern Lights. I'm sure all the hotels in Fairbanks are happy to accommodate them in the non-tourist season!!

Patty

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, wripro said:

The best luxury option for the Arctic at this point is the Scenic Eclipse. That will change in the next year or two as Crystal and Seabourn introduce their expedition ships. Also check out Silversea (they have several expedition ships although they are all old and renovated.)

The only issue with Scenic Eclipse is that they only have to cruises to Norway, and they are both in August. Not a prime time to see the lights. Silverse expeditions to Norway and the Artic are mostly in the Summer. Those lights can show up anytime of the year, but the chances diminish in the summer.

I have seen a faint show driving from Banff to Calgary, Alberta, CA. It was summer time and it was in late afternoon/early evening. I would have been more spectacular at night, but by then they were gone.

• 1 month later...