Probably my last unlimited dining package purchase.

Perhaps the rules should state you can enjoy multiple entrees if you visit multiple specialty restaurants each evening.  The sticking point seems to be 1 entree per visit, which is no different than limiting you to a $35 credit per visit at the a la carte restaurants.  I wonder if you could make two reservations for the same restaurant on the same night in order to get double entrees or a double food credit.

I usually print out the "rules" when I purchase unlimited dining and forgot to this time. My mistake. On the Allure in May they tried to tell me I couldn't eat at Izumi Hibachi with unlimited and I pulled out a copy of the fine print and showed it to the host who was making my restaurant reservations for me the first day.  She picked up the phone, called Izumi and I kid you not whispered, "she has the paper" 😂😂 then she said, "you're all set" and we ate there that night. They tried to upcharge to get shrimp and chicken and my 23 year old daughter looked the waiter right in the eye and said, "No, we aren't paying that" They backed down and  did not charge her. It just shouldn't be a fight. That's not something I want to do on my vacation. I think I'm going to go down to guest services now and mention the multiple entree thing and suggest they change the name to "All access dining"  as "unlimited" is false advertising!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Okay I just went to guest relations and spoke to Lloyd who identified himself as the specialty restaurant manager. We argued back and forth and he said the policy is $10 additional per entree. I opened my browser and showed him the policy and let him know that live now on their own website was the "enjoy multiple entrees" verbiage. He offered me a free galley and brunch and I said no. We would like some credit for just my husband and I since we could have eaten at CK every night and we cancelled a second visit for everyone to both CP150 and Chops. I told him I spent $875 and would like some kind of credit on just 2 of the 5 packages. He said, "he will call me later". I think it's bad business to use bait and switch  and refuse to accommodate passengers in any way for things like this. We are having a great cruise and I don't regret the trip at all, but with 3 cabins, bungalow, on board liquor purchaes etc. I definitely won't be booking a future cruise. At some point everyone has their limit to what they will put up with.

Screenshot_20190816-121508.jpg

Edited by Tricia28
  • Like 3

If they offer "Unlimited" to attract sales and then dilute the product by replacing signature items, then they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Then are they going to start offering two menus, one with the steak if you paid full price and one with short ribs if you purchased the deal? They are ultimately just going to discourage both purchases. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

If they offer "Unlimited" to attract sales and then dilute the product by replacing signature items, then they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Then are they going to start offering two menus, one with the steak if you paid full price and one with short ribs if you purchased the deal? They are ultimately just going to discourage both purchases. 

I don't know about other cruise lines, but this type of thing is fairly typical with Royal.  They offer something that in the beginning looks like a decent deal, and over time what they provide gets less and less. 

In reality, they never said that the menus for those with the Unlimited Dining Package will be the same as the menus for those who pay full price.

• Like 3

MSC does the same thing. 

There is no reason why each ship should have their own rules. RCI is a company and when you contract with RCI, you are contacting with the company, not individual ships.

If we as guests/passengers allow this, we are to blame. You paid for the package,  ensure you get it as described.

Print out the terms and conditions. That does seem to prove your point. 

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

MSC does the same thing. 

There is no reason why each ship should have their own rules. ...

I agree, but each ship (Hotel Director, F&B Manager, etc.) has numbers to meet, so therefore they have a huge incentive to minimize their expenses, and one way is to interpret any ambiguous (and RC is a master at creating ambiguous terms) to their advantage.  They are totally driven by short-term gains, and losing long-term customers is a very low priority.

I usually print out the "rules" when I purchase unlimited dining and forgot to this time. My mistake. On the Allure in May they tried to tell me I couldn't eat at Izumi Hibachi with unlimited and I pulled out a copy of the fine print and showed it to the host who was making my restaurant reservations for me the first day.  She picked up the phone, called Izumi and I kid you not whispered, "she has the paper" 😂😂 then she said, "you're all set" and we ate there that night. They tried to upcharge to get shrimp and chicken and my 23 year old daughter looked the waiter right in the eye and said, "No, we aren't paying that" They backed down and  did not charge her. It just shouldn't be a fight. That's not something I want to do on my vacation. I think I'm going to go down to guest services now and mention the multiple entree thing and suggest they change the name to "All access dining"  as "unlimited" is false advertising!

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I agree, but each ship (Hotel Director, F&B Manager, etc.) has numbers to meet, so therefore they have a huge incentive to minimize their expenses, and one way is to interpret any ambiguous (and RC is a master at creating ambiguous terms) to their advantage.  They are totally driven by short-term gains, and losing long-term customers is a very low priority.

When people try to clarify or justify why a business does what it does,  I personally think that those are the people who support the crime. 

We are the paying guests. Without us who pay, their bottom line will hit the bottom. Just like in retail. Stores are closing at record rates.

If we stand together we win. If we stand back and accept their excuses,  we lose. Your choice. 

JMHO!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tricia28 said:

Good luck  Keep us posted

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I have a chat session from RCI on Facebook messenger telling me multiple entrees and Izumi Hibachi are included, despite what they say on board.

Make a hard copy of that chat session!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Multiple Entrees May mean different entrees from each specialty Dinning ?

Ha, I said that when this package came out and was soundly put down.  Guess Royal's accountants saw it the way I did? (I don't think it is right though) 

• Like 1

If Royal keeps this up, pretty soon the deluxe drink package that says $12 drinks are covered will only be covered to $7 on one ship, $8 on another.  

I bought UDP on sale for Ovation knowing I can cancel it.  I tire of this spin the wheel dining package.  Done.  Canceled it.  

• Like 5

Just went to lunch at Chops. Apparently the word has spread. Dan the manager in Chops apologized to me and again offered the galley tour. I again declined. He came back to the table later and offered all 5 of us Chefs Table for our last night. I accepted because my adult kids have never done it and it's not something I would pay for. I appreciated the gesture. I think going forward the website will be changed to reflect the $10 charge. It looks like word came to the ship via corporate and the website hasn't been changed yet. Just be aware if you are buying the package for a future cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Tricia28 said:

Just went to lunch at Chops. Apparently the word has spread. Dan the manager in Chops apologized to me and again offered the galley tour. I again declined. He came back to the table later and offered all 5 of us Chefs Table for our last night. I accepted because my adult kids have never done it and it's not something I would pay for. I appreciated the gesture. I think going forward the website will be changed to reflect the $10 charge. It looks like word came to the ship via corporate and the website hasn't been changed yet. Just be aware if you are buying the package for a future cruise.

Thanks for the update.  Time for them to change the name back to Ultimate 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Multiple Entrees May mean different entrees from each specialty Dinning ?

Thats what i thought. But Royal like other's have right change/cancel programs, usually in small print and have forever. Been reading about it on here since 1997. First Biggie i can remember was when Voyager first sailed 20yrs ago. Johnny Rockets was Free, too crowded, by 4th sailing they had a cover. Then said ok cover but will include shake. Then no charge except for shake. This all on first 3 months. I had pay on her 4th sailing... point being this and dozens others programs/offers change, even after booked, paid in full, after boarding. Several times cruisers paid in full on Cruise that price on Website was wrong. Royal gave choice, pay more or cancel. OP might get a benefit others may not. As said, nothing new...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ryano said:

😞   

Do you happen to know up until what point the UDP can be cancelled?   

I believe that it's 3 days online.  I "think" it can be cancelled on board and if so they give you OBC for it.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

When we sailed on Allure last year in August we had UDP....was Ultimate Dining Plan then and we ate whatever we wanted and were honestly treated like royalty at every dinner when they saw we had that plan. we never tried to order multiple entrees so don't know about that. 

but....its sad to think its being homogenized already (similar to the deluxe dining plan at Disneyworld 😞 )

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

When we sailed on Allure last year in August we had UDP....was Ultimate Dining Plan then and we ate whatever we wanted and were honestly treated like royalty at every dinner when they saw we had that plan. we never tried to order multiple entrees so don't know about that. 

but....its sad to think its being homogenized already (similar to the deluxe dining plan at Disneyworld 😞 )

Us too. I've actually only eaten in the dining room on Oasis class ships one sailing. It's been specialty the last 5 cruises. That ended with this sailing. I'm a Diamond Plus with over 200 points but now it's time for me to look at other vacations. If I'm away from RCCL long enough maybe I'll forget the things they used to include! The changes are coming a little fast and furious for my taste. 

• Like 1