Probably my last unlimited dining package purchase.

Whenever there's confusion, it's usually pretty easy to figure out why it started.

For example, with the "Unlimited Dining Package" it is clearly at odds with the $10.00 additional entree fee for the other packages and single-night dining, which didn't go away. So somewhere someone has said "yes there's still a $10.00 charge for an additional entree." And didn't point out where it isn't applicable, and someone else is now just blindly obeying the directive they believe they've been told. It's just not applicable to the new "Unlimited Dining Package."

There's numerous similar ambiguities almost everywhere throughout all brochures and marketing materials. Just think about the nonsense over Johnny Rockets milkshakes and the Refreshment and Deluxe Beverage Packages. Even now it's still not clearly stated exactly what the circumstances are for getting that milkshake as part of the package. The latest variant online states "Milkshakes only included while dining at Johnny Rockets." But there's no definition of "while dining"; some ships have a service charge to eat anything on the menu, some have a la carte pricing; what constitutes "dining" at Johnny Rockets? Why is it so hard to conceive of the question in advance and clarify it before it has to become a dispute/problem onboard?

It's not just RCCL, either. I swear lawyers who create condo association documents, including those who just copy it from boilerplate samples, must get paid extra to include ambiguities and make verbage unclear in any real situation! 

• Like 2

Have to say I’m happy with the MDR. Tried the specialty restaurants and wasn’t impressed at all. The thing I was surprised about was the family style sides. Tiny portions. Our group tried to order more but our waiter disappeared. Hahaha. Oh well. No biggie. I’ll stay with the MDR. In 12 cruises the service has only been poor once. 

Must people debate everything? OP did a good thing posting this, and should definitely call RCL to complain to see why the terms didn't appear to match the experience. It's also a good warning for others. If somehow it was misinterpreted, RCL might clear up the confusing language. 'Nuff said. 

No idea how it turned into four pages of debate, but par for the course in human nature. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Honestly, I can't see how anybody can eat a couple of appetizers and more than one entree!  

I haven't eaten in so many specialty restaurants...but I ate in Giovanni's (pretty all sure) on Allure with my parents. We ordered an appetizer for the table to share. An antipasto plate thing? Possibly salads. And I distinctly remember ordering the mushroom risotto entree for the table as a kind of side...too rich to have as an entree. I don't recall what my entree was...but that risotto was outstanding and I was happy to have bites of it. An easy way to manipulate the menu to have a fun meal...

Perhaps an email to Mr. Bayley's office for clarification of what the rule is??

We were also told on the HM in May when the waiter was explaining how you could order unlimited apps that any second entree was $10 and I told him we had the UDP and he said still a $10 charge.  Was not going to order a second one so didn't push the issue

Edited by molly361

Reading the posts, we are getting a little anxious and nervous about our up coming October 6th cruise on the Harmony. We bought the UDP but now I’m second guessing myself if we should keep it.  From not being able to make reservations until you board and now hearing about the hidden fees makes me wonder is it really worth it.  I totally understand economics and that the cruise line has to make money but it does feel a tad like bait and switch at the end. We are strongly reconsidering our purchase....

36 minutes ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Reading the posts, we are getting a little anxious and nervous about our up coming October 6th cruise on the Harmony. We bought the UDP but now I’m second guessing myself if we should keep it.  From not being able to make reservations until you board and now hearing about the hidden fees makes me wonder is it really worth it.  I totally understand economics and that the cruise line has to make money but it does feel a tad like bait and switch at the end. We are strongly reconsidering our purchase....

What hidden fees?  You need not pay any more gratuity.  I also think they will fairly quickly communicate to all ships not to charge for extra entrees.

33 minutes ago, MonikaJ42 said:

I personally think that there are too many people on here who are trying to make too much of nothing. Stop and think of what you are paying for your package. You cannot go anywhere other than the MDR and get a cheaper meal. These SRs serve very good food for one of the best values. If you cannot get enough to eat with app, main entree and desert, then you should not even eat in the MDR. Just go to the buffet and sit there all night long to stuff your self. LOL

Really, keep your package, go with an open mind, be positive. You will enjoy it. If you don't you can come back and complain on here and say I was wrong. Been on over 100 cruises, and yes, we do many cruise lines. We have eaten in many SRs on many ships. Very seldom will you have a true complaint.  If you food is not to your liking, let them know and they will try very hard to satisfy you. You are the only one that can say what you will like or not like. Food is subjective. 

Go enjoy!!!! Happy Cruising!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

What hidden fees?  You need not pay any more gratuity.  I also think they will fairly quickly communicate to all ships not to charge for extra entrees.

Bob, while I like your optimism in regards  the communication from corp not to charge for extra entrees, the coffee card saga has been on-going for several years now.  Different ship handles how many punches are used  for a particular coffee drink, based on the ship's F&B direction.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing issue as the F&B managers have to make cost targets.  If they can meet cost targets through charging $10 for extra entrees to offset food costs then they I am guessing they will continue to do so until they get a "drop dead" notice from corporate.

16 minutes ago, gatour said:

Bob, while I like your optimism in regards  the communication from corp not to charge for extra entrees, the coffee card saga has been on-going for several years now.  Different ship handles how many punches are used  for a particular coffee drink, based on the ship's F&B direction.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing issue as the F&B managers have to make cost targets.  If they can meet cost targets through charging $10 for extra entrees to offset food costs then they I am guessing they will continue to do so until they get a "drop dead" notice from corporate.

I'm not saying that you are incorrect.  However, my gut feel is that in one if their rare marketing screwups, they called the package "unlimited".  That word is less ambiguous than Royal tends to use.  We shall see how this works out.

Host Claria. just asking for MonikaJ42

I know many times we had individual dining every night on the Oasis class ships, and were offered to get the UDP rate when we made the reservations when we board the ship(after purchasing individual nightly specialty dining and upon getting on the ship and making our reservations), question, is it possible, MonikaJ42 can keep her UDP and if she is not pleased with it the first night do you think they will refund her the remaining amount of money and just charge for the first night dining?

Edited by Cruisegirl6

1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Host Claria. just asking for MonikaJ42

I know many times we had individual dining every night on the Oasis class ships, and were offered to get the UDP rate when we made the reservations, question, is it possible, MonikaJ42 can keep her UDP and if she is not pleased with it the first night do you think they will refund her the remaining amount of money and just charge for the first night dining?

I know the package can be cancelled onboard, before having any meals under the plan.  However II don't know if they allow or how they handle cancellations after a meal has already been provided under the plan.

1 hour ago, sixesandeights said:

Does anyone have the link to where they say the included specialties with the package?  I thought I had seen it before, but cant find it on the Royal site.  I want to make sure I have that printed.  

6&8

Go to your cruise planner and select the terms and conditions 

8 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

That does not show you the included venues.  I am looking for the list of included venues on the Royal site for the UDP.  Is that list on the site anywhere?

6&8

It tells you what is not included. I've never seen an official list of what is included. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

Does anyone have the link to where they say the included specialties with the package?  I thought I had seen it before, but cant find it on the Royal site.  I want to make sure I have that printed.  

I think this is what you are looking for.  It is in FAQ

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-restaurants-are-included-in-the-unlimited-dining-package

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:33 PM, Tricia28 said:

We were also told in Jamie's on the first day that the dry aged rib eye had been removed that week and going forward it would be short ribs.

People have alluded to it in this thread, but are they actually giving out a different menu to people with the UDP? Is Tricia saying that the rib eye was off the menu for everyone or just them?