How Long After Docking in Venice To Book A Train Ticket?

namaste1223

After doing several searches and coming up empty, I thought I'd ask this question here:

At the end of October, we're docking in Venice at 8am. How long should we allow for the ship to clear whatever it needs to clear, for us to walk off the ship (we usually carry our own bags off), to get a taxi and arrive at Mestre train station and actually comfortably make a train without causing ourselves  undue stress at the end of a hopefully wonderful vacation? 

I'm thinking that the 9:02 train would be cutting it way too close, the 9:37 train stops in Bologna first, adding an extra hour onto the trip and there's not another train leaving until 11:02.

Would taking a train be the best way for us to travel to Milan Centrale? We'd like to arrive in Milan by 12:30-1:00 if at all possible, thereby giving us time to check in to our hotel and make a 2:15 tour (which leaves from across the street from the hotel). Is this unrealistic?

Many thanks for any advice from those who have "been there, done that!"

Docking at 8:00 am I would be skittish about booking a train from Mestre at 9:02.  If all the stars align you could make it, but if they don't...?

It's about 20-25 minutes to Mestre train station from the cruise port, and that's only traveling time. I'd want to pre-book a taxi and walk off with any luggage to save time and even then you still have to locate taxi and load. Your ship may or may not arrive a bit early, but you cannot count on getting off until a few minutes after 8:00.

The only later options that make sense are the ones you've listed. You'll have to determine whether the hassle of changing trains (on the 9:47 route) is worth arriving in Milano 45 minutes earlier than the 11:02 train.  If your hotel is not too far, you should be able to make your tour with either train. (Although, as has been noted elsewhere, traffic in Milan can be pretty bad...)

Edited by cruisemom42

On 8/16/2019 at 9:02 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Docking at 8:00 am I would be skittish about booking a train from Mestre at 9:02.  If all the stars align you could make it, but if they don't...?

It's about 20-25 minutes to Mestre train station from the cruise port, and that's only traveling time. I'd want to pre-book a taxi and walk off with any luggage to save time and even then you still have to locate taxi and load. Your ship may or may not arrive a bit early, but you cannot count on getting off until a few minutes after 8:00.

The only later options that make sense are the ones you've listed. You'll have to determine whether the hassle of changing trains (on the 9:47 route) is worth arriving in Milano 45 minutes earlier than the 11:02 train.  If your hotel is not too far, you should be able to make your tour with either train. (Although, as has been noted elsewhere, traffic in Milan can be pretty bad...)

Thanks, Cruisemom42.

Is there another way (that won't break the bank) to get to Milan besides the train? I looked into a car service, but it would be over $500. for the five of us. The bus that I found wouldn't get us there on time. Aside from renting a car (is this even a good idea?), I'm not sure what else to do besides take a chance on the train or cancel the tour (we have no other time to reschedule).

Fortunately, I purposely booked a hotel across the street from the tour departure point. If we go ahead and take a chance and we're really running late, half of us can go to meet the tour while the other half runs into the hotel to deposit the luggage and we can check in after the tour.

A car service would be massively expensive, as you found out.  I'm not one to rent a car and drive, so someone else might be better than me to offer an opinion.

In your place, I'd take the 9:47 train and change trains in order to get to Milan faster. Hopefully you are relatively light travelers. (If not, consider it....it really makes train travel and connections much easier).

By doing that I think you have a fairly good chance of making your tour.