John Randall?

gwesq

Wow - 2 days & 150 views, and not one comment about John Randall?   No one who cruises Seabourn knows about him even though he was on Encore last year, and is on again now?   Maybe that says a lot.

Which Piano bar do you mean?

I tend not to remember the individual musician's names. Maybe it's the same for others? 

I've only ever remembered one pianist/singer's name - they played in Obs nightly - and that's because they were awful! it wasn't John Randall though. 

Edited by Isklaar

1 minute ago, Isklaar said:

Which Piano bar do you mean?

I tend not to remember the individual musician's names. Maybe it's the same for others? 

I've only ever remembered one pianist/singer's name - they played in Obs nightly - and that's because they were awful! it wasn't John Randall though. 

He's been playing in the TK grill lounge.   Seeing that, it seems to me that he mainly plays background music, so as not to interfere with the diners?  But he is scheduled to spend many months on Crystal, where he'll be playing in a room known for the piano players entertaining, interacting with the guests, and making the room a fun & hopping place SRO late nights (at least until 1 AM, which IS a late night for Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, etc.)

6 minutes ago, gwesq said:

He's been playing in the TK grill lounge.   Seeing that, it seems to me that he mainly plays background music, so as not to interfere with the diners?  But he is scheduled to spend many months on Crystal, where he'll be playing in a room known for the piano players entertaining, interacting with the guests, and making the room a fun & hopping place SRO late nights (at least until 1 AM, which IS a late night for Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, etc.)

Ok he's playing in the bar at TK Grill. I've only been on one of the big ships once so I may not be recalling very well, but the pianist appeared to play outside of main dining hours. Thomas Keller is very keen on his selected playlist of 60's and 70s oldies that are piped into TK Grill. Unfortunately that's what you hear when dining, not a pianist. 

Edited to add - he may also play in Observation Lounge between his sessions in TK

Edited by Isklaar

5 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Yes - I read that about Keller.  Seems awfully "controlling" to me.  Not sure I'd be a fan of dining with that kind of control.  Now, IF he controls the food to make sure it is the same food you get a his restaurants, that would be a good thing.   

8 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Yes - I read that about Keller.  Seems awfully "controlling" to me.  Not sure I'd be a fan of dining with that kind of control.  Now, IF he controls the food to make sure it is the same food you get a his restaurants, that would be a good thing.   

In our experience  the music wasn't so loud on Ovation as it is in the much smaller space on the O class ships, hopefully you'll find it the same.

I've just checked a couple of Heralds and on that Ovation cruise, the pianist played in the TK bar from 6.30pm to 7.30pm and then again from 9.30pm to around 11pm. 

I’ve always considered the pianists in Seabourn’s bars background music. We’re always engaged in conversation over our drinks. I don’t remember any of their names, skills or looks, sorry. It’s like elevator music to me; it’s there but that’s about it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

I’ve always considered the pianists in Seabourn’s bars background music. We’re always engaged in conversation over our drinks. I don’t remember any of their names, skills or looks, sorry. It’s like elevator music to me; it’s there but that’s about it. 

Glad it's not just me! As I posted earlier, there is only one that I remember well and that's because they were not very good. 

We just got off Encore and John was playing in the TK Grill each night. He took breaks and the music was then played, was not too loud and was quite good to hear some tracks not heard in a while. John was very good, plenty of oldies mixed in with some up to date. He played “Clocks” by Coldplay and my wife mentioned that another Coldplay song was her favourite and he went away learnt it and played it a couple of nights later much to her surprise. He was always willing to play requests.

We heard John playing in the TK bar most evenings when we were aboard Encore. He was very good and played many of our favourites, taking the time to learn the ones not in his repertoire. 

We have sailed quite a few cruises on the Encore and the Ovation, so we have experienced five pianists in the TK bars all different but all very enjoyable. 

We sail on the Encore again in November so we can only hope that John will be there, if not I’m sure we will enjoy his replacement.

1 minute ago, cjjersey said:

We heard John playing in the TK bar most evenings when we were aboard Encore. He was very good and played many of our favourites, taking the time to learn the ones not in his repertoire. 

We have sailed quite a few cruises on the Encore and the Ovation, so we have experienced five pianists in the TK bars all different but all very enjoyable. 

We sail on the Encore again in November so we can only hope that John will be there, if not I’m sure we will enjoy his replacement.

No - he will not be there. I am asking because we will be on the Crystal Serenity and John is listed in the Avenue Saloon.  There is another lounge where a piano player plays music for listening.  The Saloon however, is a bar where there is a lot of interaction between the piano player & the audience.  The previous players there are entertainers as well as piano players. Each one had their "shtick" to have fun.  Hoping John is more than a piano player/singer so we can have the kind of fun we are used to in that room.  The one time we cruised that the player there only played & sang, the room was empty most nights after about 10:30. With the others, it was hopping until 1 AM.

2 hours ago, kowhairob said:

We found Johns music unintrusive  in the Tk grill with the ability to have a conversation without having to raise our voices . 

And that is exactly my concern about him.  He sounds great for that role.  But the lounge he will be playing in when we see him is not meant for background music or dinner music. There are other venues for that.  As an example, I am attaching photos of the room taken with the guests & two of the popular, and wonderful, performers there. You can see that this is NOT a crowd enjoying background music.  Very interactive.  I am hoping he can bring that same Late Night atmosphere to the room

PerryAvenue.jpg

Avenue.jpg

Have no clue about John Randall.    These entertainers....some are multi talented, some have no talent.   Seabourn has put women pretending they can play piano in OB.   They try to sing during cocktail hour because they have no talent as a pianist.   A very few can do a contract in The Cove and be seen doing their act in Avenue Saloon on a different contract.    Two very different venues.    A favorite performer in TK Grill on Ovation might not find same success on Odyssey in Observation Bar.  

If Crystal signed him to a full contract for Avenue Saloon, he is probably qualified.   You might not like his style, but others will.  The only lack of talent performer I've witnessed in Avenue was a person called to fill in on short notice.  

Edited by saminina

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Have no clue about John Randall.    These entertainers....some are multi talented, some have no talent.   Seabourn has put women pretending they can play piano in OB.   They try to sing during cocktail hour because they have no talent as a pianist.   A very few can do a contract in The Cove and be seen doing their act in Avenue Saloon on a different contract.    Two very different venues.    A favorite performer in TK Grill on Ovation might not find same success on Odyssey in Observation Bar.  

If Crystal signed him to a full contract for Avenue Saloon, he is probably qualified.   You might not like his style, but others will.  The only lack of talent performer I've witnessed in Avenue was a person called to fill in on short notice.  

I think I know who you are talking about there.   The Avenue was empty every night after 10 or so, as opposed to it being SRO with other performers.   Fortunately, it was a port intensive cruise, so not a lot of late night due to early excursions.  We'll be doing a crossing with NO early excursions for like 12 days.  On the Other hand, a performer I know & respect and is occasionally on Crystal is happy that he is going to be onboard, and thinks he will do a great job.