Has "The Quest" run its course?

First cruise we ever did, 11 years ago on the brand new Indy, we went to The Quest. It was wonderful fun, and guests were talking about it for days afterwards.

Next time we went, about 5 years later, it was still fun, but lots of guests had come pre-prepared with many of the items.

Last month on Explorer, we went along to introduce DD to The Quest. Studio B was half empty, and many of those attending seemed content to just sit and watch and not even try to participate.

Is it just me, or has The Quest had its day?

Every sailing has lots of new to Royal guests on board.   Listen to the C&A numbers at top tier events, for a typical 7 night cruise often >50% have never sailed with Royal.

If Quest or anything is getting old for you, don't go.  I rarely do because I've seen it many times and it's not my thing anymore. That doesn't mean others won't find value in it.

The Majority Rules adult game show can be fun.

• Like 2

I noticed there were a lot of older folks on our Northern cruise to Boston, Maine, and Canada.  There were not as many there and I assumed it was because of the large number of seniors on this cruise.  Our next cruise was on Grandeur out of Baltimore and there were definitely a lot of people there.  So maybe it depends on the demographics of the crowd.  I always participate and I'm usually a runner, however, I'll have to sit the Quest out for my cruise next week because I had knee surgery.  It will be a much different view just sitting back to watch!  

Leigh Xuereb made Quest what it was.  He is now with Carnival and I sailed with him and Quest was every bit as wild and crazy as it ever way.  Very VERY adult themed and insanely funny.  It was this way it was when I did it on Royal when Leigh was there.  I recently did Quest on Grandeur with that married couple (CD and AD......cant remember their names but they were TERRIBLE).  There was no adult warning and they had transformed the game into something that was completely boring.  They allowed children in the Quest, and the hunts were not at all what previous quest had been.  We were seated totally opposite of the door, or we would have walked out.  It was a complete waste of time.  If Quest on all Royal ships is done this way now I have no doubt that it is not well attended.  

6&8

• Like 1

When I was a young cruiser, The Quest was just a bit different.  It was held in a lounge area, and people were in groups of up to 6, or maybe 8, and each group had a number.  It would be more of a scavenger hunt...no people doing tricks or anything like that.  Groups would earn points if they could present the items in time.  The group with the highest points got actual prizes for everyone in the group.  It wasn't as risque, and kids could play.  We still have a nice set of Royal Caribbean drinking glasses from around 30 years ago.  

Quest is one of our favorite things, and I think a lot of it depends on the ship, the demographic on the ship and the time of year you are sailing. We have always had a lot of fun. I've noticed that at everyone we have attended, the "quest" has always been mostly different so hard to come prepared for it. Yes, they always ask for a "thong" or the compass, but we always participate and have loads of fun.

If it's no longer your thing, just don't go. But as someone mentioned above, there are many people on the ship that are new to this or haven't attended in the past...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I agree, it does not seem as popular recently as it was 10 years ago.  Too many come fully prepared.

Cruise Directors don't seem motivated to change things up. Though Ricky Matthews did call out the cheaters. Ken Rush ran a pretty unique one and put an effort to make it unique.   Casey Pelter goes through the motions and doesn't really keep any score and just gives away a couple of medals to team captains. 

Our two recent sailings on the Allure....May 5th and June 30th.  Quest rose from the dead................

Only two search items remained from our previous 9 ish sailings.

Some of the newer items were shall we say tamer.............................

You really had to think, but not to hard to get the items.....................

Almost all of the items someone in attendance would normally have with them (esp.  tourist   🙂  )

The only thing I did not like that  there were 10 teams, and a total of 20 captains.............

Talk about a mad crowded rush.

It was fun though.

We lost, do not know if they really keep score, but it was fun.

Safe travels.

47 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Quest is one of our favorite things, and I think a lot of it depends on the ship, the demographic on the ship and the time of year you are sailing. We have always had a lot of fun. I've noticed that at everyone we have attended, the "quest" has always been mostly different so hard to come prepared for it. Yes, they always ask for a "thong" or the compass, but we always participate and have loads of fun.

If it's no longer your thing, just don't go. But as someone mentioned above, there are many people on the ship that are new to this or haven't attended in the past...

Exactly what I would have posted.  Some cruises it's pretty lame, some it's fall of your seat funny.  I would add it matters who is running it, too.  

• Like 1

On the May 13th sailing on Ovation in Alaska, they did NOT do the Quest

I find it boring.

But, on Carnival Vista it was a bit out of control

Also. The whole team goes up and so folks tripping all over each other.

Also, on Vista the Love and Marriage show the contestants stay seated and usr chalk boards. Quite different and no chance for verbal interaction with host.

We have been to the Quest off and on through the years and wouldn't miss it if it was gone.  Just like the Love and Marriage Show, with the same people coming prepared, it ruins it.  They should have a Quest for people who have never played before to freshen it up.  They should do the same with Love and Marriage, no more couples that play every cruise.  You know the questions, you have rehearsed the answers and you aren't funny.  

• Like 3

I’m guessing it’s very crowd-dependent.    Personally, I don’t think I e ever laughed so hard in my life.   Admittedly, I haven’t done it a dozen times, but I’d think if you didn’t enjoy it after the 10th time, you’d just find something else to do.   In June on Navigator, Studio B was full for Crazy Quest (and the X vs. Y game show immediately before).   Part of the fun is the willingness of the participants to be over-the-top, and we definitely had that on this cruise.   It was fantastic!

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

Cruise Directors don't seem motivated to change things up. Though Ricky Matthews did call out the cheaters. Ken Rush ran a pretty unique one and put an effort to make it unique.   Casey Pelter goes through the motions and doesn't really keep any score and just gives away a couple of medals to team captains. 

That may be why we found the first to be the best as Ken was running it.