Venice to-do's

kcbmarek

DH and I will be departing on a cruise to the Greek Isles and Croatia from Venice and returning to Venice.  Our plan is to spend 2-3 days in Venice after getting off the ship.   We were in Venice for one day in 2017 and all public transportation was on strike that very day which made things a bit tough, hence we did not get to enjoy the city.  What are some must-do items in Venice?  

TIA - Kim

I'd suggest that since you know your interests and touring style more than we do, it might be better to look at a few guidebooks to get ideas. Most will lay out the top 10 or 20 highlights and you can then pick and choose based on what appeals to you.

A history fanatic (me) will have an entirely different list to someone who is into architecture, the arts, or maybe Venetian glassmaking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'd suggest that since you know your interests and touring style more than we do, it might be better to look at a few guidebooks to get ideas. Most will lay out the top 10 or 20 highlights and you can then pick and choose based on what appeals to you.

A history fanatic (me) will have an entirely different list to someone who is into architecture, the arts, or maybe Venetian glassmaking.

Very true.  We are big history buffs as our favorite travel locations so far have been Rome, Athens and Egypt.  I know that there is so much in Venice and was looking for some recommendations on what people thought was good.

If you enjoy history, I recommend visiting the Doge's Palace. (I like the regular tour or just do it on your own; was not a big fan of the "behind the scenes" tour as to me it is a bit contrived.)  The ticket for entry to the Doge's palace comes with included entry to the Correr Museum (opposite end of St. Marks' from the Basilica), which is well worth walking through for history buffs -- the rooms were once used by Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth ("Sissi") of Austria and some have been restored to that era. Others house Venetian history from the Romans to the era when the Doges ruled an empire of their own. (Don't miss great views down on the piazza.)

Also, you probably visited San Marco on your first visit, but if you didn't go to the museum upstairs, it's worth doing. Inside the entrance there is a narrow set of stairs on the right leading up to the first floor museum where you can see the real bronze horses, close up views of the gorgeous mosaics, and a killer terrace view of the piazza and piazetta.

My other recommendation would be to take a vaporetto to Torcello. It's a lovely small island and was the precursor to Venice itself. There is a gorgeous old church (or three) there to visit, plus a small museum and a very quiet, peaceful place. Go on a nice day and have lunch at one of the few restaurants there. If you don't want to spring for the pricey but chi-chi Locando Cipriani, I very much enjoyed the Osteria Al Ponte del Diavolo (near the "Devil's bridge -- read the history of it; many of the bridges in Venice were originally like this one, no hand-rails required...)  I would skip touristy Murano, but Burano is also worth a visit to see the colorful houses.

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you enjoy history, I recommend visiting the Doge's Palace. (I like the regular tour or just do it on your own; was not a big fan of the "behind the scenes" tour as to me it is a bit contrived.)  The ticket for entry to the Doge's palace comes with included entry to the Correr Museum (opposite end of St. Marks' from the Basilica), which is well worth walking through for history buffs -- the rooms were once used by Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth ("Sissi") of Austria and some have been restored to that era. Others house Venetian history from the Romans to the era when the Doges ruled an empire of their own. (Don't miss great views down on the piazza.)

Also, you probably visited San Marco on your first visit, but if you didn't go to the museum upstairs, it's worth doing. Inside the entrance there is a narrow set of stairs on the right leading up to the first floor museum where you can see the real bronze horses, close up views of the gorgeous mosaics, and a killer terrace view of the piazza and piazetta.

My other recommendation would be to take a vaporetto to Torcello. It's a lovely small island and was the precursor to Venice itself. There is a gorgeous old church (or three) there to visit, plus a small museum and a very quiet, peaceful place. Go on a nice day and have lunch at one of the few restaurants there. If you don't want to spring for the pricey but chi-chi Locando Cipriani, I very much enjoyed the Osteria Al Ponte del Diavolo (near the "Devil's bridge -- read the history of it; many of the bridges in Venice were originally like this one, no hand-rails required...)  I would skip touristy Murano, but Burano is also worth a visit to see the colorful houses.

Awesome ... thank you and definitely will put these sites on the list.  We are huge history buffs so these locations will fit us best for sure.  

I ‘d take a different view of the ‘Secret Itineraries’ tour of the Doge’s palace. We did it and loved it. You get to see rooms that others don’t including the cell where Casanova was held & a torture chamber. Our guide was excellent and explained a lot about the history of Venice & how it was ruled. If you want to do it, it’s better to book online. http://www.doge-palace-tickets.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy97qBRDoARIsAITONTJtIySva8Zb4uSN6KezJa3K-2ugSKiYj0UqjR9_J2TSxft7_ZSWyJ0aArOLEALw_wcB

The other part of Venice that we loved was the Jewish Ghetto area - it was very quiet and there is a very moving memorial there.https://www.venetoinside.com/hidden-treasures/post/monument-to-the-victims-of-the-holocaust-in-ghetto/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/travel/venice-italy-jewish-ghetto.html

I guess we are a bit different when it comes to Venice.  Yes, we have done all the usual things from the Doges Palace to the Jewish Ghetto.  And we have done them more then once :).  We have also walked miles within Venice to areas seldom visited by cruisers (especially those that rely on tours).   But, if you have the time (and you will need about half a day) take the vaporetto out to Burano.  We love Burano because it is much more laid back then Venice, its an island that many Venetians call home, it is just so darn cute, etc. etc.  And getting there is part of the fun since its about a 50  minute ride on the lagoon.  But if you have a multi-day vaporetto pass (a good idea) it will cost you nothing but time.

Hank

For a change of pace from Venice, you could take a vaporetto over to the Lido, a large island on the east side of the lagoon.  Totally different from Venice's main island.  No canals, large houses with lawns, streets, etc.  It's a nice ride over there and back.