Taking Wine

IrishLassie

It should be stated in your Passenger Information from Princess. When we went a year ago, it was still one bottle per passenger. I believe you can take more but it is subject to a corking fee.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nini said:

It should be stated in your Passenger Information from Princess. When we went a year ago, it was still one bottle per passenger. I believe you can take more but it is subject to a corking fee.

That’s still their policy stated in their Alcohol FAQ: 

“One bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed”.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nini said:

Thank you, Astro Flyer!

You’re welcome!  

I like their policy allowing passengers to bring onboard as much wine as desired that’s subject to the $15/bottle fee for more than 1 bottle.  We’ve brought a bottle or two from ports of call that’s also subject to the $15/bottle fee but haven’t been charged the fee.  We take our wine to the dining room where we pay the $15 fee so we either pay it sooner or later unless consuming it in our cabin.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome!  

I like their policy allowing passengers to bring onboard as much wine as desired that’s subject to the $15/bottle fee for more than 1 bottle.  We’ve brought a bottle or two from ports of call that’s also subject to the $15/bottle fee but haven’t been charged the fee.  We take our wine to the dining room where we pay the $15 fee so we either pay it sooner or later unless consuming it in our cabin.

Our experience also with some very rare exceptions. We had a bottle fee for a bottle of red from the Maui vineyard (Tedeschi at the time). A rather mediocre wine but I am glad I tried it. The $15 fee is very reasonable for the privilege of consuming what you enjoy or what you want to experience for the first time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

The $15 fee is very reasonable for the privilege of consuming what you enjoy or what you want to experience for the first time.

I agree & when their wine policy changed several years ago Princess acknowledged that passengers want to try other wines not available from them & to have the option to bring onboard other wines subject to the fee.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome!  

Nothing is stopping a passenger from filling their wine glass in their room and take it elsewhere on the ship, or in fact, the dining room.

8 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Nothing is stopping a passenger from filling their wine glass in their room and take it elsewhere on the ship, or in fact, the dining room.

That’s your prerogative to violate their clearly stated policy for the fee free bottle or for additional bottles without paying the fee which I follow & that’s what I posted.

Edited by Astro Flyer

40 minutes ago, IrishLassie said:

One more question, can we bring bottled water onboard?  If so, how many bottles?

You can bring as much bottled water as desired & it’s been posted that you can put a luggage tag on a case to have it delivered from the pier to your cabin like other luggage.  You can also bring soda onboard the same way or by carrying it onboard with you.

We primarily drink the very safe onboard water but when wanting some bottles for in port we pre-order bottled water...12 - 500ml bottles for $7.08 but it must be purchased in advance through your Cruise Personalizer.

774D8672-8FFE-41E3-867B-304A33FC50C6.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Irrespective of your personal tastes, taking your own onboard AND WILLINGLY paying the $15 corkage charge makes excellent sense.

We are off for 24 days soon and I did this direct comparison with the onboard Wine List (well the most recent I have seen)

FIGURES IN BRACKETS INCLUDE 18% Gratuity.

Champagne

Nicholas Feuillatte $69 ($81.42)

I can buy EXACTLY the very same champagne for €25.90 in my local supermarket in France.

=$28.76 plus corkage $15 

=$43.76 saving $37.66 per bottle.

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label $89 ($105.02)

I can buy EXACTLY the very same champagne for €34.99 in my local supermarket in France.

=$38.84 plus corkage $15 

=$53.84 saving $51.18 per bottle.

French White Wine

Pouilly Fume 2017 $46 ($54.28)

I can buy the same 2017 vintage Pouilly Fume for €11.95 from my local supermarket in France and EXACTLY the same Pascal Jolivet Pouilly Fume 2107 for €19.00 from my local wine merchant.

=$21.09 plus corkage $15 

=$36.09 saving $18.17 per bottle.

I can also get Pascal Jolivet 2018 Sancerre for the same price, though there is no Sancerre showing on the Sapphire Princess wine list I have.

Macon-Lugny 2016 $38 ($44.84)

I can buy the same Les Charmes 2016 vintage, on special offer, for €6.71 in my local supermarket in France and EXACTLY the same Albert Bichot Les Charmes 2016 for €15.27 from my local wine merchant.

=$16.94 plus corkage $15 

=$31.94 saving $12.90 per bottle.

Pouilly Fuissé 2016 $42 ($49.56)

I can buy the same 2016 vintage Pouilly Fuisse for €15.50 in my local supermarket in France and EXACTLY the same Labouré-Roi 2016 for €19.00 from my local wine merchant.

=$21.09 plus corkage $15 

=$36.09 saving $13.45 per bottle.

Chablis 2017 $40 ($47.20)

I can buy the same 2017 vintage for €12.50 in my local supermarket in France and EXACTLY the same Chablisienne Pierrelee 2017 for €16.00 from my local wine merchant.

=$17.75 plus corkage $15 

=$32.75 saving $14.45 per bottle.

Mersault 2016 $67 ($79.06)

I can buy the same 2016 vintage for €26.95 in my local supermarket in France and EXACTLY the same Bouchard Mersault Les Clous 2016 for €40.40 from my local wine merchant.

=$44.82 plus corkage $15 

=$59.82 saving $19.24 per bottle.

French Red Pinot Noir Burgandy

Côtes de Nuits 2016 $40 ($47.20)

I struggled to find any 2016 vintage Hautes Côtes de Nuits in my local supermarket in France, but I could get a 2017 Bouchard Hautes Còtes de Nuits for €9.95 and I can get EXACTLY the same Bouchard Hautes Cōtes de Nuits 2016 for €15.80 from my local wine merchant.

=$17.53 plus corkage $15 

=$32.53 saving $14.67 per bottle.

I could go on but this is probably getting a bit boring. Suffice to say we will be taking onboard 4 bottles of Champagne, 6 bottles of white wine and 4 bottles of red wine which (forgetting the savings on the two bottles of champagne which will not attract a corkage charge) even after paying out $180 in corkage charges, and allowing for the discounts available on SILVER a silver wine package, I will still save almost $200 by taking my own wine on board.

• Like 1