Itinerary question

joally

Norwegian shows us in Juneau from 7am to 1:15 pm. The rental car place doesn’t open until 8. I have read that we must return to the ship 2 hrs before departure. Does that mean we have to be back by 11:15?  That’s only a 3 hour visit on a pricy car rental. 

Where did you hear that you had to be back on board two hours before departure???

You need to make sure you're back 30 minutes before sailing, giving you 90 minutes more than you thought. Personally, I'd aim for an hour beforehand to account for any hold-ups, bearing in mind that if you're not on a ship-arranged tour, it will NOT wait for you if you're late.

Celebrity doesn't care how much your 'pricey' car rental costs!

Be careful. Juneau is where my ship left four passengers this summer on my southbound cruise. Our all-aboard time was 3:30, with the ship scheduled to leave at 4. We stayed a little longer. I watched from the promenade as one of the officers made the call for us to leave.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was confused because of that 2 hr. rule for embarkation day. We’ll aim for 45 min. beforehand on our short Juneau day, since the rental car place is only 10 min. away and we signed up for their loyalty program allowing us express service. 

On 8/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, joally said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was confused because of that 2 hr. rule for embarkation day. We’ll aim for 45 min. beforehand on our short Juneau day, since the rental car place is only 10 min. away and we signed up for their loyalty program allowing us express service. 

Note that your "express service" is helpful (sometimes) on the front end, but makes no difference on the return.  It simply depends on who is working returns, and who (and how many) are in front of you.  Returns are usually pretty straightforward, and hopefully you won't be the unlucky one to get behind someone who scratched up their car.

6 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Also don't forget to plan ahead for pre-paid gas or location of gas station for close fill up. 

We used the Tesoro at
920 W 10th St, Juneau, AK 99801
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JAcfsCPY7peeNBgdA

Also for awareness with Avis: we did an "after hours" drop off (they closed at 4 though the rental confirmation stated 6) and they want you to include your fuel receipt with the keys and your completed rental sleeve in the door drop.

I took pictures of everything and didn't have any problems.