Snorkeling at Coco Cay

RBKL

Snorkeling is really good.  Like Clarea said, go to the extreme left and head out to the buoys where the opening between the rocks is.  Lots of really cool stuff to see out there. We love snorkeling at CocoCay, going again next weekend.  For sure go to Chill Island. Go to the beach right below the snorkel shack and then head into the water and enjoy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, karena1 said:

Snorkeling is really good.  Like Clarea said, go to the extreme left and head out to the buoys where the opening between the rocks is.  Lots of really cool stuff to see out there. We love snorkeling at CocoCay, going again next weekend.  For sure go to Chill Island. Go to the beach right below the snorkel shack and then head into the water and enjoy.

can you report back on jellyfish please? Ive heard from multiple people there are tons out there right now. Thanks and have fun!

4 hours ago, jsf said:

Some where I read that they have a sunken plane out there but only people on excursions can go in that area, is this correct?

I heard that also.  It's not like there's a 747 sunk down there, it's a small wrecked airplane hull that they dumped there.  Much more interesting things to see near the reef.

22 hours ago, paradise4me said:

can you report back on jellyfish please? Ive heard from multiple people there are tons out there right now. Thanks and have fun!

Last week I saw a handful of small jellies.  If the weather is good I hope to go next week too.  

My hubs got stung back in the day several yrs ago, but the solution of vinegar they gave him at First Aide took it right away...he never even noticed the jelly.  Here's what we saw then: first an octopus then a jewel damsel and the jelly fish which was in the shallows on South Beach.  Others were in the coral heads at what is now called Chill Island.  Octopus is clutching a mussle of some kind that he'd been snacking on.  Wouldn't let go of it!  Cute...

Mine Mine Mine.jpg

My favorite fish.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, dawnls said:

So if we BYO snorkel gear, we can just snorkel for free without an excursion?  Do they have safety vests we can use? thanks

Correct, snorking with your own equipment is no extra charge.

They used to require swim vests and charged $6 per person for rental, but I believe they are free now.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone give some guidance on how far the swim is from the beach to the snorkeling spot? And how the quality of the snorkeling has been since Hurricane Dorian rolled through? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth bringing a snorkel/mask and if the distance from the beach is far enough where I would want to bring flippers too. (A bit big to pack - and I'd prefer to not have to rent.) Thanks!