Towel in the toilet

audobon_tx

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

On Quest.  Toilets were out of order for quite awhile yesterday.  Captain just announced they were plugged by handiwipes and a HAND TOWEL!  Sigh.....

really! how does a huge hand towel land in a toilet and get flush? handiwipes- what was she cleaning? how does one get on a ship and be so stupid.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

For those who are knowledgeable about cruise ship plumbing, can they trace it to a specific cabin?

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

For those who are knowledgeable about cruise ship plumbing, can they trace it to a specific cabin?

DON

Pretty much, at the section and maybe the cabin. A few years ago my toilet do work after flush I run like where the help. My butler like do not flush.. to late. Learned it was panties..guess it washing tub now

6 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

On Quest.  Toilets were out of order for quite awhile yesterday.  Captain just announced they were plugged by handiwipes and a HAND TOWEL!  Sigh.....

The whole ship? Or just cabins on one section if one deck?

We are on the quest.  Our cabin toilet didn’t work from the morning until we went to bed. Public toilets also didn’t work.  First we heard it was all port side toilets, then guest services told us all toilets on ship including crew didn’t work.  Public toilets were filling up, people using them, but couldn’t flush.  Pretty awful.  I am so thankful it was finally fixed.  

I’m on Quest and totally missed this yesterday!  I did hear the announcement about being careful not to put anything in the toilet except toilet paper, but didn’t experience any non-working toilets.  I must have chosen exactly the right ones.

Maybe some people just don't read the signs which give clear instructions on the only three things that can go into the toilets.

Mentioned also by the Captain at the compulsory safety drill before sailing . . . three P's and that's all!

I will add that some of the toilets have a hair-trigger.  The top of the lid contacts the top of the flush switch, so it’s easily possible to flush them unexpectedly when you raise the lid and it hits the switch.  But it would be a stretch to imagine dropping the towel accidentally into the toilet at that exact moment.  There are some kids on board, but they seem a pretty well-behaved bunch.

I’ be never flushed the toilet on a ship or airplane with the lid up, does this even work?   Also never flush the toilet while you are on it.   It may be a legend but I heard that on an plane once a passenger was stuck to the toilet and couldn’t be removed until they landed and the ground maintenance crew freed her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I’ be never flushed the toilet on a ship or airplane with the lid up, does this even work? 

Of course it works. Have you noticed the sign on the loo on aeroplanes?  It says to keep the noise down and not to disturb you fellow passengers close the lid. But it still flushes with the lid up. The vacuum systems on a ship are sensitive, but not so sensitive that you have to put the lid down to make it flush. 

Phil 

It should be noted that the shelves above the toilet on the right, while handy, have a quite narrow ledge.  I've had things fall through bumpy seas or my own clumsiness, and was grateful for near-misses with the toilet.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

To make sure things like hand towels don’t get knocked into the toilet & flushed, blocking the whole ship’s toilet systems!🤭

I think it's more to do with the selfishness and stupidity of the person in that cabin. I don't think keeping the lid of the loo down would help.  Stupid is as stupid does. 

Phil 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Seems to me we all need to make sure the toilet lid is down unless it’s being used!

I recall seeing some programme on the TV a while back where they dyed the water in a toilet and then flushed it with the lid up. The aerosol spray went everywhere (including onto toothbrushes!) I can only imagine what the aerosol effect would be with a ship's toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_PnRCLe9A

Since that day, I ALWAYS ensure that the lid is down before flushing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think it's more to do with the selfishness and stupidity of the person in that cabin. I don't think keeping the lid of the loo down would help.  Stupid is as stupid does. 

Phil 

It’s just that  I can imagine a scenario where I knocked something in the loo and in my rush to grab it out, knocked the lid against the flush button. I have knocked the lid and given myself a shock with the noise when it flushes. It’s quite easy to pull two towels off the rail, when you only meant to get one. Maybe it’s just me knowing that I can be clumsy in small spaces.  Totally agree, though, that an immediate call to Guest Relations would be essential.

• Like 2