MSC DATA BREACH

sidari

Once again MSC have failed with their Data protection, today there is a post on a UK Facebook page where the O.P has not only been sent their own e ticket but those of another cruiser including thei passport and address details.

Knowing that this has been reported previously on CC you now have to wonder if your personal details are safe with MSC!

12 hours ago, sidari said:

Once again MSC have failed with their Data protection, today there is a post on a UK Facebook page where the O.P has not only been sent their own e ticket but those of another cruiser including thei passport and address details.

Knowing that this has been reported previously on CC you now have to wonder if your personal details are safe with MSC!

It is not just MSC, we receive emails all the time for someone else with their loyalty number from Carnival.  Have called and told them several times but they never do anything about it.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:07 PM, sidari said:

I too read that post. It would appear that the release of such sensitive information is a serious breach of GDPR and other data protection legislation. Consequently, MSC is required to self report the incident to the Information Commissioner’s Office. The individual affected could also report the breach.

In answer to your question, your data is probably not safe with MSC - and many other companies/organisations for that matter.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

It is not just MSC, we receive emails all the time for someone else with their loyalty number from Carnival.  Have called and told them several times but they never do anything about it.

The first MSC data breach that I was aware of happened in 2014/2015. At that time, it wasn't just a loyalty number compromised, it was full names, addresses, birth dates, and passport numbers (based on reports here on CC).  I was booked on a MSC cruise and was specifically concerned about my passport number. I did a bit of research and found that if it were just a passport number shared that wasn't necessarily something to freak out about, but a passport number along with names/address/birth date left me very vulnerable for identity theft. I kept an eye on my accounts and nothing came of it, but I do remember being concerned. MSC is certainly not the only company that leaves customer data vulnerable, but it is a historic problem that consumers should be aware of so they can remain proactive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Omega1 said:

I too read that post. It would appear that the release of such sensitive information is a serious breach of GDPR and other data protection legislation. Consequently, MSC is required to self report the incident to the Information Commissioner’s Office. The individual affected could also report the breach.

In answer to your question, your data is probably not safe with MSC - and many other companies/organisations for that matter.

Your data is not safe period. MSC or not. Safe data not exist at all anywhere .

• Like 1