Costa SMERALDA & Costa Passepartour PLEASE

Parraboy

Hi All,

Australian family doing 16th November, 2019 sailing on Costa SMERALDA from Savona.   We have previously cruised RCL, CARNIVAL and MSC and enjoyed them all.  This is or first venture onto a COSTA cruise and we were attracted at it was obviously a new ship and a great way to finish our Europe holiday before heading back home to Australia.

Couple of questions please ....

The Costa PASSPARTOUR is reasonably attractive at $150 Euro each person.   If I have read it correctly, we can select a excursion at each of the locations marked with the circle emblem for Passepartour...  No extra costs and in theory we can select seven tours for our $150 euro each ?     Sounds good value I think if those tours are basically what we are after.... Love to hear peoples thoughts on the value and pros and cons of the deal ?

Bit nervous that there is very little web traffic on the arrival of the new ship.... I know she is still yet to hit the water but I hope all is good.  Looks a magnificent ship and certainly will be a great experience hopefully.

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.....

Parraboy

Sydney

Australia 

I had never heard of Passpartour until recently - what is it and where do you see it / find it ? Is it a Costa thing or something else ?  I would like to look at excursions on our next cruise.  

I have tried logging in to MYCosta - I have tried a google search and all that found was a youtube advertising 5 tours for 69 Euro but no information on where to find this service.

Edited by Janet&Carl

Hi Mate

We are obviously booked on that ship. I went to Costa and put in my reference no etc and my booking comes up with the options for extras etc.  This is located under the excursions.   It is bit pricey at $150 euro each but if you take one on every port it balances out. 

Just want to see what the general thoughts are with it .... 

5 minutes ago, Parraboy said:

Hi Mate

We are obviously booked on that ship. I went to Costa and put in my reference no etc and my booking comes up with the options for extras etc.  This is located under the excursions.   It is bit pricey at $150 euro each but if you take one on every port it balances out. 

Just want to see what the general thoughts are with it .... 

I guess you would have to search through the options of what you want to do then add it all up. Do you get to choose your excursion or just get to do the cheapest one ? We did excursions on our last Costa and have two booked on our next. Our first Costa cruise we had only two other people who spoke English and they were from Austria.  So everytime we took a ship excursion they explained to us that the guide would not speak english and we would join the Italian tour.  Very disappointing as we had no clue what was going on.  This time there are many more English speakers on our cruise. So hopefully our experience will be better.

Edited by Janet&Carl

Hi Mate

COSTA PASSEPARTOUR

Code:PASSPARTOUR

Description

With the PasseparTour option you sign up for a world of excursions at an extraordinary price! The promotion includes a selection of must-do half-day CostaTours! that you can book directly through Mycosta or once you are on board your ship. On Mycosta, in your cabin when you board, you will find a list of excursions available for your cruise. The promotion includes one excursion for each stop-over, but if you want to discover even more, we are also offering you a 25% discount on all excursions not included in PasseparTour.
What you need to know: 
You can book your CostaTours! conveniently through Mycosta or directly on board. Even though most excursions are not limited to a maximum number of participants, we invite you to confirm your choices as soon as possible and strictly before 7:00pm on the day you board. As soon as you are on board, you will find all of the information on PasseparTour in your cabin, of the excursions included in the promotion and how to make a booking.

The cost is $150 Euro per adult.... By the look there is one option each port and most are 4 hours in duration. 

Hope this helps...

Hi

I had a look at these as well. It is a new option.

My only concern is what they will offer and whether they will cancel at short notice or send you with another language group(as above). 

We are going on the Smerelda end of February and I hope there will be more info by then. If you make use of the package please let us know.

Riana

Have sailed costa twice and on both times when we took tours the English version was running (though to be fair we were the only English on board - dont forget they will lump multi languages together for non Italians into an English group or sometimes shared (we once had a half French and English ).

I think on a ship the size of the Smerelda it shouldnt be an issue but it will be great to hear your experience as we are booking for March and I had not heard of this option which sounds good (especially as we have visited most ports before) - are the choices available now on your My Costa section of the site

Previous Costa trips here Favolosa and here Diadema

Edited by ighten

Yes .  Basically there is at least one option

for each port  for people who Pre 

purchase the passepartour deal .  If I understand it ,  I should be in front if I do one tour per port .  

Be nice if someone comments in their experience using it . 

I have now just booked Smelda (cant stop calling her Esmerelda though) so just seen how it works.. As mentioned above though it tends to apply to mainly half day trips and some of the full day drop off (do your own thing) type so it does pay to check it actually works out at good value (TBF most costa trips compared to many other cruise companies are not too badly priced).

Yes if you book all the available ones in each port you will save money - but in our case if you choose to be doing your own thing by train etc in a port or take a longer trip on one of the days then it slides the other way.

Its a good offer though if you are doing the former (especially as the "do your own thing" buses tend to be included)

Edited by ighten

Nothing is free in this world - especially with Costa.

At first 7 shore excursions for $150 looks good value, just over $20 p.p.p.tour.

Take a deeper look, Costa excursions usually cost for half day tour (4 hours) in the €50 - €60 range, whole day (8 hours) in the €100 - €120 range.

Have a look at this page for Palma excursion:

https://www.costacruisesasia.com/hk/cruise_holidays/palma_de_mallorca_spain.html

the Passepartour tours are still very cheap even if not booked via the Passpartour - so where is the catch. So you get what you pay for.

PS. If there are any nitpickers (or rivet counters) out there, please don't cpme back and say "Yes but my full day excursion cost me €150.01", the above prices are only an approximation. If anyone does come back with such "arguments" then they will get a full broadside from the leftover rivits from building the Smeralda.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 4:58 AM, alicat58 said:

Hi

I had a look at these as well. It is a new option.

My only concern is what they will offer and whether they will cancel at short notice or send you with another language group(as above). 

We are going on the Smerelda end of February and I hope there will be more info by then. If you make use of the package please let us know.

Riana

Riana,

My party is booked on the February 13, 2020 sailing.  Which sailing are you booked on in February?  I  have been looking for a roll call but have had no luck.

Edited by TheLakeGirl

Hi TheLakeGirl

We are sailing 29/2 from Savona.

Quite rare to find Costa Roll calls. I noticed you started one on the Roll call board. Hopefully someone  responds. TBH we tend to like to do out own thing and the once I met up with fellow CC'rs we did not do any tours together.

Good luck.

Riana

Edited by alicat58
change entry

Just giving a reply, tours are great if you want to see a bit of a new place regardless of the price after nearly 40 years of cruises we have never been disappointed with any tour taken in somewhere new. 

You are on holiday make the most of it & worry about the credit card later.

Meeting people, like Riana said roll calls get little response, so go to the English meetings talk to people on your table you will I am sure return with new friends.

2 hours ago, alicat58 said:

Hi TheLakeGirl

We are sailing 29/2 from Savona.

Quite rare to find Costa Roll calls. I noticed you started one on the Roll call board. Hopefully someone  responds. TBH we tend to like to do out own thing and the once I met up with fellow CC'rs we did not do any tours together.

Good luck.

Riana

I saw that there are limited roll calls for Costa, specifically Smerelda.  I figured I would take the chance and create one.  On my last Med cruise in May 2018, I did the roll call thing but didn't really join anyone on any group tours, however on my 2009 Med cruise,  we met up with some fun people who we did join in on a couple of tours which worked out well.  I am traveling with my husband and friends this time, doing Carnivale in Venice first and then doing the Costa Smerelda cruise on Feb 13.  Would love to network with you on port activities that you are planning.  What ports of call are on your itinerary?  My cruise is out of Rome/Civit  (which I have been to) to La Spezzia, Savona, Marseille, Barcelona (which I have been to) and Parma de Mallorca.  These are new ports for me so any insight you have would be much appreciated and would love to do the same for you based on your ports of call.

Hi TheLakeGirl

For the moment I suggest you look at Ighten's blog of their Diadema cruise. Lots of info there.

I will start something on the weekend about our past Med cruises going to these ports.

OP sorry about hijacking your post.

Riana

Ps. Where are you from?

11 hours ago, alicat58 said:

Hi TheLakeGirl

For the moment I suggest you look at Ighten's blog of their Diadema cruise. Lots of info there.

I will start something on the weekend about our past Med cruises going to these ports.

OP sorry about hijacking your post.

Riana

Ps. Where are you from?

Thanks but not sure where to find that blog, but will try and let you know how I do.  I have just noticed that you have, unlike me, been on many Costa Cruises.  While I realize you have nothing to compare it to and are likely a huge fan, how would you rate the food and overall experience on a Costa Cruise?  

I am from the U.S.,  New Jersey originally and now in Virginia.  

Once again hijacking this thread.

TheLakeGirl if you go to post 9 you can click on Ighten's blog and look for the Diadema entries.

I will start a new thread today to discuss ports on the Smerelda and food on Costa.

Riana

9 minutes ago, ighten said:

The Lake Girl

Diadema is here

Favolosa is here

Regarding Smerelda does anyone know what restaurants they are planning to have - it seems quite hard to find much info on English sites

Thanks for the info and links!  To your question about Smerelda restaurants, if you go to mycosta.com and sign in using your booking reference #, go to "my cruise" tab, then click on the "dinner service" and you will see the restaurant options.  Click the link, Costa Smerelda , and it will take you to the interactive ship  map.  If you click on the decks 5 - 7, you will see the restaurant locations and images of what each restaurant looks like.   The four that I know are options are: La Columbina on deck 5, Il Meneghino on deck 6, Arlecchino on deck 6 and Il Rugantino on deck 7.  The only ones that appear nicer, to me, are the La Columbina and Il Meneghino.  The other two look way to casual for my taste.  

I think most of those are just the various MDRs/buffet- also  looks like they are going to use the same method as Diadema and use part of the Buffet as a table service at night - Think we'll have to wait to see if they add anything more than the usual Samsara (Italian/Thai Fusion - coconut rissotto and monkfish mmmmm) and (pay extra) pizza/burgers -

I notice they do seem to be showing pics of a tapas type place (extra cost) and a cooking school (not sure why I would want to pay extra to ruin my dinner 😉 )

TBF I think the Italians and Med countrys actually prefer just eating traditional good food in the MDR - perhaps costa dont think its worth adding seafood or steakhouses to the mix - Samsara has been almost empty on our last 2 Costa cruises

Although MSC has many more speciality restaurants. 

We always go to the pizza/burger place on Costa at least once a cruise. It's rather cheap and very good. On MyCosta they only currently show teppenyaki and pizza place to pre-book. Not sure whether you can see anything else.

Riana

16 hours ago, ighten said:

I think most of those are just the various MDRs/buffet- also  looks like they are going to use the same method as Diadema and use part of the Buffet as a table service at night - Think we'll have to wait to see if they add anything more than the usual Samsara (Italian/Thai Fusion - coconut rissotto and monkfish mmmmm) and (pay extra) pizza/burgers -

I notice they do seem to be showing pics of a tapas type place (extra cost) and a cooking school (not sure why I would want to pay extra to ruin my dinner 😉 )

TBF I think the Italians and Med countrys actually prefer just eating traditional good food in the MDR - perhaps costa dont think its worth adding seafood or steakhouses to the mix - Samsara has been almost empty on our last 2 Costa cruises

I am interested to see how Costa differs from other cruises I have been on.  Having done the "American" based cruise lines, I am use to more upscale MDR than those that were pictured on the ship plan.  In terms of food, I can't imagine that Costa's food would be below par, as Italians are use to good food and wouldn't tolerate that 🙂  I guess we will have to wait and see when the ship does its first sail in November.  

Mmmmm 

Bit side tracked along the way Ladies....  So no real consensus about these tours and value.  I am leaning towards them as it is 4 hour tours and gives you time to self explore as well.....  

Any one got an update on the Passpartour packages ?

Thank you..