Blocked nose/sinuses

catperson02

I returned on Friday from a fantastic cruise on Ventura. For the first week I was fine but then I became increasingly congested at night. My nose/sinuses became blocked meaning that I woke every hour with a dry, parched mouth needing a drink. This meant that the next time that I woke I not only had a dry mouth but needed a wee! The congestion vanished as I showered and was up and about. I assumed that the air conditioning was the cause and tried to drape a damp towel over the bedside table but this didn't seem to make any difference. I returned home on Friday and had a great nights sleep, no congestion issues. 

Has anybody got any suggestions to help for next years cruise? I am planning to ask the (lovely) village pharmacy for their advice as I am happy to use nose sprays or tablets as it will only be for a couple of weeks or possibly just for the last week but any advice from seasoned cruisers would be great. Thanks

I saw on an earlier post, that people has draped wet flannels around the cabin, but you have done that.  What about a couple of drops of olbus oil on your pillow, but I think your pharmacist will come up with the best suggestion.

Strangely enough I suffer from Rhinitis quite frequently at home, I put it down to a pollen allergy, but once I set foot on board ship it clears up, and I get a full nights sleep with clear nostrils despite the aircon......maybe I should ask my GP for cruising on prescription.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Strangely enough I suffer from Rhinitis quite frequently at home, I put it down to a pollen allergy, but once I set foot on board ship it clears up, and I get a full nights sleep with clear nostrils despite the aircon......maybe I should ask my GP for cruising on prescription.:classic_rolleyes:

I am the same, I have had hay fever for over 40 years, I never suffer on a cruise, I put it down to sea air and the air con.

7 hours ago, catperson02 said:

I returned on Friday from a fantastic cruise on Ventura. For the first week I was fine but then I became increasingly congested at night. My nose/sinuses became blocked meaning that I woke every hour with a dry, parched mouth needing a drink. This meant that the next time that I woke I not only had a dry mouth but needed a wee! The congestion vanished as I showered and was up and about. I assumed that the air conditioning was the cause and tried to drape a damp towel over the bedside table but this didn't seem to make any difference. I returned home on Friday and had a great nights sleep, no congestion issues. 

Has anybody got any suggestions to help for next years cruise? I am planning to ask the (lovely) village pharmacy for their advice as I am happy to use nose sprays or tablets as it will only be for a couple of weeks or possibly just for the last week but any advice from seasoned cruisers would be great. Thanks

Saline spray works a treat. I got mine the local high street pharmacy (which also sells cosmetics and other beauty products, and many other things too) 

On 8/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, catperson02 said:

A littleTea tree oil dabbed onto your nostrils.

I've tried a mix of wet flannel on bedside table plus glass of water, saline spray and tea tree oil. Seems to work, and I haven't suffered for the last few cruises.

If they are no longer giving out face cloths/flannels as I have read on another post somewhere, then I shall be asking my steward on the first day to ensure that I have some, as they do make a difference.