Are sold out YC staterooms standard for MSC?

Nashna

We booked the Davina last January in a YC1 stateroom for January 2020.  At the time, there were about 15 staterooms available.  Now, it is totally sold out in all but a YC Inside.  In March, we booked a January 16th, 2021 Seaside stateroom in YC1.  At the time, we booked the last YC2 stateroom.  I wasn't happy with the available stateroom and have been checking weekly to see if another YC1 becomes available.  Is it normal for the Yacht Club to sell out so far in advance?  Is it possible that a group is holding space and additional YC staterooms will become available closer to sailing?    

Unlike other cruise lines, MSC releases a selection of cabins in different regions, so, while they may be "Sold Out" in yours, it really means "Not Available".  Often people have posted on here that a category has been sold out on a particular sailing only to be told that there was availability in another country.

Edited by Beamafar

Interesting...you would think that they would want it sold to anyone.   We have some friends who are interested in trying the Yacht Club.  It looks like they need to book way in advance if they want to sail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Not necessarily ... you just have to keep a watch for cabins to become available.

We tried to book a YC Caribbean cruise when on Preziosa in January, there were none available for January February or March 2020 or 2021. Been checking regularly since but nothing available for UK market.

This was for a flight inclusive cruise from UK that MSC organised

In that particular instance, Liz, it may have to do with the availability of airline seats.  I had trouble trying to book a Musica cruise with flights included for May next year, but the dates I wanted didn't have airline seats available, so I had to compromise on the date as MSC's prices for the flights were far better than what I could get them for.

For our Oct sailing, I can't count the number of times since I booked that I read on here of YC being booked out, yet cabins became available regularly - even up to a couple of weeks ago there were reports of YC cabins available (though the prices are astronomical!)

It is frustrating to see the entire ship available for purchase...except the Yacht Club.  Evidently, the word is out about the benefits of the Yacht Club.  We are trying it for the first time in January.  I'm just glad I was able to snag YC staterooms in January 2020 and 2021.  We are booking 11 and 14 day sailings.   A few days after I booked the 14 day cruise, I noticed that YC was available for a 7-night portion of the trip.  When I checked a few months ago, that was sold out as well. 

There are two other factors affecting YC availability:  Low deposits for YC cabins and no loss of deposit for North American bookings.  I think MSC is trying to address these by recently increasing the loss of deposit date to 120 days for YC and I've noticed they run the $99pp deposits a bit less.  I'll admit that since I book through the US site I take advantage and book good deals when I see them, then will later confirm the itinerary works into my plans.   I think quite a bit of that goes on so you will see sailings sold out then over time people release the cabins back into inventory.  I try to make my decision as fast as possible, but you still see cabins pop back into inventory right around final payment.   As Beamafar mentioned often by this time when the cabins come back one or two at a time the prices are very high, so this can also affect US customers.  I'd have no problem with MSC increasing the deposit amount on YC cabins and perhaps even further extending the loss of deposit date.  I know many from Europe would like to see the no loss of deposit go away for North America, but I'd rather see it applied to European bookings as well.  It is an uneven field in that regard, but EU bookings do get some protections that we do not have.

• Like 1

I do agree that the refundable $398.00 deposit for North Americans is really low.  Royal Caribbean's suite deposit is $500.00 and is non-refundable.  While they do offer refundable deposits on regular staterooms, guests are forced to book a non-refundable deposit if they want a suite.   Our Viking 2020 cruise required full payment one year prior to sailing.  This caused us  to rethink our Northern European cruise on Viking.  We just cancelled the cruise rather than make that $18,000.00 payment a year in advance.   

I have always heard that, and this applies to all ships, that the most expensive cabins sell first , then the cheapest...people will always hope for the upgrade when a ship starts having a hard time selling the mid ranged cabins.... not sure if this is true , but it always seems to come into play when we look to cruise.

It's possible that it's the number of people in the cabin that's causing it to show as sold out.  I had a panic moment when I put in 4 and saw all were gone.  If I changed to 5, there were rooms available.  The rooms that fit 4 were gone, but the ones that fit 5 weren't.  

On 8/18/2019 at 7:03 AM, Nashna said:

We booked the Davina last January in a YC1 stateroom for January 2020.  At the time, there were about 15 staterooms available.  Now, it is totally sold out in all but a YC Inside.  In March, we booked a January 16th, 2021 Seaside stateroom in YC1.  At the time, we booked the last YC2 stateroom.  I wasn't happy with the available stateroom and have been checking weekly to see if another YC1 becomes available.  Is it normal for the Yacht Club to sell out so far in advance?  Is it possible that a group is holding space and additional YC staterooms will become available closer to sailing?    

I didn't think Davina had inside Yacht Club rooms.  What is their booking category?

11 hours ago, cathep said:

It's possible that it's the number of people in the cabin that's causing it to show as sold out.  I had a panic moment when I put in 4 and saw all were gone.  If I changed to 5, there were rooms available.  The rooms that fit 4 were gone, but the ones that fit 5 weren't.  

MSC seems to manage who can book those rooms for five and tries to hold for five.  TA confirmed that.  Some have had luck with less people.  We just had one with just two people.

7 hours ago, frank808 said:

I didn't think Davina had inside Yacht Club rooms.  What is their booking category?

We are not booked in an inside YC in either Davina or Seaside.  We are booked on both ships in YC Deluxe Balconies.  

On 8/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, Beamafar said:

Unlike other cruise lines, MSC releases a selection of cabins in different regions, so, while they may be "Sold Out" in yours, it really means "Not Available".  Often people have posted on here that a category has been sold out on a particular sailing only to be told that there was availability in another country.

This is unfortunate because it may make stateroom selection a problem.

When we want a certain cabin and it "appears" booked and yet in reality it is just not offered in our market...and is vacant

23 hours ago, Nashna said:

I do agree that the refundable $398.00 deposit for North Americans is really low.  Royal Caribbean's suite deposit is $500.00 and is non-refundable.  While they do offer refundable deposits on regular staterooms, guests are forced to book a non-refundable deposit if they want a suite.   Our Viking 2020 cruise required full payment one year prior to sailing.  This caused us  to rethink our Northern European cruise on Viking.  We just cancelled the cruise rather than make that $18,000.00 payment a year in advance.   

Each line certainly has their own policies re deposits and cancellations.

Regent for example wants full payment like 6 mos out...and 

Celebrity has both refundable and non refundable--depending on rate/perks

Our TA offered to pay the deposit for MSC but IF we made the deposit we got a small OBC.

Just did a dummy check for Seashore 2021 for the same cruise at the different pick up points.

From Genoa 1 YC 19008

From Naples 2 YC 19018/19027

From Messina fully booked

From Barcelona 2 YC 19005/19006

From Marseille 2 YC 19010/ 19011

Deck 16 was not offered at any port.   

£4838 for 2 before any VC discounts.

Edited by little britain

19 minutes ago, little britain said:

Just did a dummy check for Seashore 2021 for the same cruise at the different pick up points.

From Genoa 1 YC 19008

From Naples 2 YC 19018/19027

From Messina fully booked

From Barcelona 2 YC 19005/19006

From Marseille 2 YC 19010/ 19011

Deck 16 was not offered at any port.   

£4838 for 2 before any VC discounts.

Wow!  That is interesting.  

At least in the Mediterranean, MSC offers various embarkation ports on the same cruise.  Thus a certain number of cabins are held per port.  We are on the Seaview in October and there are at least three different embarkation ports:  Genoa, Rome and Barcelona.  Interestingly enough, prices for 7 nights was different for each port!

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

The Divinia doesn't have insides.

Thanks, that is what I recall also.  I am wondering as this was posted 

We booked the Davina last January in a YC1 stateroom for January 2020.  At the time, there were about 15 staterooms available.  Now, it is totally sold out in all but a YC Inside. 

5 hours ago, Nashna said:

We are not booked in an inside YC in either Davina or Seaside.  We are booked on both ships in YC Deluxe Balconies.  

12 hours ago, frank808 said:

I did not post or ask what stateroom you were in.  You posted that there was one inside YC room left.  Here is what you posted that brought about my question.  

We booked the Davina last January in a YC1 stateroom for January 2020.  At the time, there were about 15 staterooms available.  Now, it is totally sold out in all but a YC Inside. 

• Like 1