Diamond Upgrade ?

EmmasNana

I still have about 25 points to make it but we are not thrilled with Royal right now, so are checking out Carnival again. (We are almost diamond plus on Royal so would miss the free nightly drinks) We want to do the Hawaii cruise on Carnival in 2022 or 2023, the round trip from San Diego, so thought it might be nice to use that upgrade on a longer cruise.

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Same cabin for cabin upgrade. Example OV to OV, let's say you have an ocean view with a port hole up front. You can then get that up graded to an ocean view let's say mid ship which is more expensive or on a higher deck.

Thanks, so basically not a perk.

9 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

Thanks, so basically not a perk.

If you already have the highest cat OV booked. It does move you into a balcony room. That is only a one time deal anyhow. The great added perks for being Diamond are nice. Dinner for two at the specialty restaurant.  Captains get together just for Diamond. Chocolate covered strawberries on every cruise. Those are expensive. Unlimited wash and fold on every cruise and a lot more. Plus a dedicated diamond number for help. That I have used and they are super nice people. So as I said. The one time upgrade is no big deal. But the other perks are nice.

Okay first of all it's a little confusing so I will try to make it clearer.  Once you know the ship, sale date , cabin category.  Call the diamond Desk.  They will check to see what categories apply.  It is different on some ships.  What happens is.  You buy a cabin at the class below what you want and get a cabin in the class above ( OV to Balcony).  I booked an Ocean view cabin and got a Balcony cabin. The highest upgrade is to Balcony.  Suites do not apply or Aft.  So you pay whatever the lowest price is for an Oceanview and can get upgraded to a balcony. We used ours that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blyle said:

Okay first of all it's a little confusing so I will try to make it clearer.  Once you know the ship, sale date , cabin category.  Call the diamond Desk.  They will check to see what categories apply.  It is different on some ships.  What happens is.  You buy a cabin at the class below what you want and get a cabin in the class above ( OV to Balcony).  I booked an Ocean view cabin and got a Balcony cabin. The highest upgrade is to Balcony.  Suites do not apply or Aft.  So you pay whatever the lowest price is for an Oceanview and can get upgraded to a balcony. We used ours that way.

Thanks! This is what I was hoping for.

I'll be diamond in October but didn't want to spend a bunch of money on an OV just to get an upgrade to balcony on a 7-night sailing.  My next (at least at this point) is a B2B on Legend, final Med + TA.  I have a 4K cabin for both legs.  This time, I don't want to book an OV because these sailings are rather expensive to start with.  A balcony on the TA sure would be nice, but based on the TAs I did last year, it can be rather cool out there in the Atlantic!

So I'm not sure when I'll use my upgrade.  I wasn't even sure I'd get to Diamond, since I'm pretty burned out on Carnival.

The additional perks don't excite me a lot.  I rarely use the laundry since I don't wear a lot of things that won't get ruined in those industrial washers & dryers.  I certainly don't need more food (I try to remember to call the desk and request that they NOT deliver the chocolate strawberries). 

What happens if you're solo and you want the steakhouse dinner?  Can I go twice?  That's really the only perk I'm interested in besides the cabin upgrade.

1 hour ago, blyle said:

This exactly describes what both DW and I did when we used our Diamond upgrades.  Lowest price OV to extended balcony.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

If you already have the highest cat OV booked. It does move you into a balcony room. That is only a one time deal anyhow. The great added perks for being Diamond are nice. Dinner for two at the specialty restaurant.  Captains get together just for Diamond. Chocolate covered strawberries on every cruise. Those are expensive. Unlimited wash and fold on every cruise and a lot more. Plus a dedicated diamond number for help. That I have used and they are super nice people. So as I said. The one time upgrade is no big deal. But the other perks are nice.

Dinner for two in a speciality restaurant is a one time deal. Platinums get chocolate covered strawberries too. I have never heard of a Platinum who used their entire free laundry allotment, so unlimited wash is not a big deal. The only Diamond perks that are worthwhile in my opinion is the special event, the dedicated phone line, and guaranteed MDR time, which can help if you book a cruise last minute. 

To each there own. My wife and I are both diamond and really enjoyed the steak dinners twice. The was and fold is great for those real long cruises. The gathering with the officers for only diamond is nice. So I like the perks. Not a big deal but nice.

I became diamond a few cruises ago and when I inquired about the upgrade, I was told the expiration date doesn't apply.  Mine expired almost a year ago.  I am going in a few weeks, but it's just a short cruise and I didn't want to waste it on that...The hot streak deal is a great deal.  I am taking my daughters and could have done the 3rd person free, but it's so inexpensive I will save it for a Caribbean and get a balcony

I appreciate the explanations in this post.  I'm CLOSE to Diamond (with already booked cruises, 14 more days), and have been wondering how the one time upgrade worked.  I'm looking forward to the specialty dining and Diamond event, too.  My husband and I use the free laundry service offered in Platinum.  I rarely have any laundry to do when we get home!  Love it!

Ok; What about this. The Better half will go diamond before me. 1 extra cruise them me. (currently 172 & 162)

On our first cruise after she goes Diamond, will we get the Upgrade in cabin & The Dinner for 2 in Steakhouse. Then on The next cruise I go Diamond will we get the same things AGAIN????

2 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Ok; What about this. The Better half will go diamond before me. 1 extra cruise them me. (currently 172 & 162)

On our first cruise after she goes Diamond, will we get the Upgrade in cabin & The Dinner for 2 in Steakhouse. Then on The next cruise I go Diamond will we get the same things AGAIN????

Yes, if you request those perks. The perks for all VIFP levels are per person, not per couple. 

• Like 1