We want luxury but don't need "all inclusive."

cruisetheworld67

My wife and I have cruised  mostly HAL  and now want to upgrade to luxury.

We  are looking at Seabourn, Regent,  Silver Sea,  Crystal,  Oceania  (please no comments how Oceania is  premium and not luxury).

The problem is that we do not need or even want all inclusive. Neither one of us  drinks that much.  If we have 2 drinks each   on a  2 week cruise that would be about it.

We might do  2 shore excursions the entire cruise as we like to walk around and explore on our  own. So we do not see the point in  subsidizing all the "drinkers"  and those who want to squeeze in as many   shore excursions as possible.  How  does  this benefit  us? We prefer to simply  pay for what we use.

So maybe Oceania  where we get a step above HAL  and still only pay for what we use  for the most part?  Or some other line?

Edited by cruisetheworld67
spelling

I you really do not need many  drinks , maybe Oceania is a solution  - sometimes Oceania is promoting cruises and you do receive a choice of several items  - on board credit, excursions drinks  packages ,  gratuities - a choice must be made

As widely described Oceania is very expensive with drinks and wines  and is demanding 18 % service and if you do leave ex Spain or Italy addtional VAT -  I never do excursions but Oceania is expensive with those as well also with airport transfers.  

Food is far better on Oceania as on Hal    

Maybe you can have a look to Hapag  Lloyd as well - however it is another approach as the companies you did mention but it is not all inclusive 

Or Ocean  Viking - 

On Oceania  you do not need to take the O Life offerings unless you want to

But yes  you get  many things included in the prices  than are not included on HAL

You can check the Oceania forum for more info

We take the cruise only fare   do our own air, excursions & taxi to/from the ship

Our  TA usually provides the gratuities  so no worries there either

Maybe Viking Oceans  or Azamara  would also work

before the Luxury line police show up I suggest you check each line for what is & is not included & what ticks more of the boxes  for YOU

We are doing a Crystal cruise  the price was right even with included  drinks  ..we may have  1 a day  but the price was too good to pass on  the cruise 😉

15 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

We  are looking at Seabourn, Regent,  Silver Sea,  Crystal,  Oceania  (please no comments how Oceania is  premium and not luxury).

The problem is that we do not need or even want all inclusive. Neither one of us  drinks that much.  If we have 2 drinks each   on a  2 week cruise that would be about it.

We might do  2 shore excursions the entire cruise as we like to walk around and explore on our  own. So we do not see the point in  subsidizing all the "drinkers"  and those who want to squeeze in as many   shore excursions as possible.  How  does  this benefit  us? We prefer to simply  pay for what we use.

So maybe Oceania  where we get a step above HAL  and still only pay for what we use  for the most part?  Or some other line?

It seems a it odd worrying about inclusions, when any luxury cruise is really about the overall package. 

The difference between the 4 and 5 star lines is not merely the inclusions, but the whole level of the service.  Yes, you may not be subsidising others if you go on a premium ship, but then you are also not getting such a good product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed on Oceania but mostly sail on Regent.  Many times Oceania ends up being more expensive than Regent due to the extremely high cost of excursions (even if you only do one or two), and cocktails (again, even if you only have a couple).  What really tips the the scale is airfare.  Regent provides International Business Class air (Coach within the U.S.).  When we sailed on Oceania and wanted to upgrade from Coach to Business Class, it was more $$$ than if we had purchased it on our own.  

Food is subjective but, with the exception of the specialty restaurants, we do not care for the food on Oceania.  

I would compare prices.  You may find that all-inclusive (even if you don't drink or take excursions very much) could be a better overall deal than non-inclusive cruise lines.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, cruisetheworld67 said:

I think the all-inclusive system is what makes a luxury line luxurious for me, even if it isn't financially balanced on a cash basis.  The fact that I can spend 2 weeks without even considering money is a luxury that is a big part of my relaxed feeling.  I don't begrudge those who eat more than me, and I'm not about to begrudge those who drink more than me either. 

Chaque un son gout.  If worrying that you're not getting your money's worth because someone else drank more than you did will upset your vacation vibe, then I would say that a luxury "all inclusive" line isn't for you - there will be people using more of the included offerings that you are, whether it's drinks, food, lectures, classes, or time on wifi. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, cruisetheworld67 said:

We felt the same way, we switched from the mainstream cruises in 2012 to Oceania, because we can do our own excursions, and do not drink.  However, we have also sailed recently on Regent and Crystal.  The reason is because if you or your TA keeps your eyes open, you can actually sail on a luxury line for sometimes cheaper than a premium plus line!  We told our TA two years ago that we would like to try a luxury line, and had her look for special deals.   Well she found a Regent cruise for less than what we could get on Oceania!  We also have sailed recently on Crystal, and thought it was quite good. We love the onboard experience, and yes, deals can be found.   Your question should be, is it worth it TO YOU.  It was to us, and now we are going on our 3rd Crystal Cruise this winter.  

Oceania will certainly be several steps up from HAL however no comparison to Crystal. We do

not do any bus tour excursions  and only drink wine with dinner and also always have done our own air.

We take the “cruise only”  fare on Oceania and then any discounts we can from our TA.

After 13 Oceania Cruises we have switched to Crystal for their far more interesting

food and willingness to do special orders. The service on Crystal is also way above any we

have ever experienced in O. On many cruises there are, as said before, great offers that make the

prices just about the same.

No question you will enjoy either line so pick what is best at the time for this cruise but keep looking

for future one. No need to be tied to any line.

13 hours ago, wripro said:

The problem is Oceania is not a luxury line which is why it is not all inclusive. So the original post is misleading. The OP does not want luxury. What he really wants is a step up which Oceania will deliver.

Very well said Henry.  I agree.

Keith

I am not aware of the destinantion the OP eventually is willing to do or his location ( flights … )

Just received an offer from Oceania 11 th february 2020 ( what i decline ) 7 nights   with a lot of O life offers included - result of the review of the original  "Cuba involved " trips.

21 hours ago, wripro said:

The problem is Oceania is not a luxury line which is why it is not all inclusive. So the original post is misleading. The OP does not want luxury. What he really wants is a step up which Oceania will deliver.

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises is definitely a luxury line, and is not all inclusive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

I am not aware of the destinantion the OP eventually is willing to do or his location ( flights … )

Just received an offer from Oceania 11 th february 2020 ( what i decline ) 7 nights   with a lot of O life offers included - result of the review of the original  "Cuba involved " trips.

Did  Crystal revise it  winter sailings ?

Were they doing Cuba  as well?

We picked up a good deal on Crystal for Dec

Cheaper than Oceania  so giving  Crystal  a look

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Did  Crystal revise it  winter sailings ?

Were they doing Cuba  as well?

We picked up a good deal on Crystal for Dec

Cheaper than Oceania  so giving  Crystal  a look

Crystal was not doing Cuba.

Nancy

22 hours ago, wripro said:

So  is  "luxury"  strictly   defined  by  being  all inclusive?  That is  indeed  odd. Who  defines whether  Oceania is  luxury  or not?

Because it is not  all inclusive?

BTW, I have read many posts here on cc  where cruisers  have commented that the food (yes  I know  ...food is so   subjective)  as well as  service is actually better  on  Oceania  than on the so called  "luxury"  lines.  Go figure.

And  you  are  mistaken.  The OP  most  certainly wants  luxury.  He  just  does not want to subsidize    the rest of the passengers.  As  someone else  pointed out, Hapag-Lloyd is considered a  luxury line  but is not  all inclusive.

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

I intended to say it as well - but you did it … :classic_biggrin: 

Next week I 'll go to an all inclusive - Crystal -  so i will subsidize  partly the other pax by not drinking complimentary wines, - but ordering from the list - however I will order some complimentary drinks ( no wines by the glass )  in the various bars.

I am not drinking onerous wines anymore  - everthing has a limit  , but i do like something better as the complimentary ones. 

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Crystal was not doing Cuba.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy

I just wonder if that is why the prices  were so discounted

Oceania did discount the  ex-Cuba cruises  along with many other lines

Looking forward to trying Crystal at the price point we got the cruise for

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks Nancy

I just wonder if that is why the prices  were so discounted

Oceania did discount the  ex-Cuba cruises  along with many other lines

Looking forward to trying Crystal at the price point we got the cruise for

you're welcome.  

I believe the cruises close to Xmas are typically discounted as they are not great sellers

Nancy

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

So  is  "luxury"  strictly   defined  by  being  all inclusive?  That is  indeed  odd. Who  defines whether  Oceania is  luxury  or not?

BTW, I have read many posts here on cc  where cruisers  have commented that the food (yes  I know  ...food is so   subjective)  as well as  service is actually better  on  Oceania  than on the so called  "luxury"  lines.  Go figure.

And  you  are  mistaken.  The OP  most  certainly wants  luxury.  He  just  does not want to subsidize    the rest of the passengers.  As  someone else  pointed out, Hapag-Lloyd is considered a  luxury line  but is not  all inclusive.

JMO  other will disagree

I think luxury is  different things to different people 

The industry put labels on the cruises  as well as some cruisers

I find Oceania a nice line & luxury to us 

We can choose what to pay for  we do not need all inclusive

the ambience  is still good & more cruisers on O are well travelled  just like on the "luxury " lines

We do not need all inclusive  so it works for us 

all you can do is try different lines & find the right fit  for you  ..

3 minutes ago, nancygp said:

you're welcome.  

I believe the cruises close to Xmas are typically discounted as they are not great sellers

Nancy

Could be

but works for us  just to get away  before the winter

3 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

If you have read any recent threads on the Oceania board you will see that many threads are about the decline in quality and choice in the food recently.

6 hours ago, English Voyager said:

You are correct but there are two major things that luxury cruisers should know about Hapag-Lloyd:  1). According to reports on CC, there are typically 30 or less English speaking passengers onboard;  2). They advertise for families and seem to get quite a lot of them.  Either of these things make Hapag-Lloyd a no-go for us.

As an aside, none of the major luxury lines that sail to/from the U.S. are going to Cuba (it was banned fairly recently) so it is a non-issue.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are correct but there are two major things that luxury cruisers should know about Hapag-Lloyd:  1). According to reports on CC, there are typically 30 or less English speaking passengers onboard;  2). They advertise for families and seem to get quite a lot of them.  Either of these things make Hapag-Lloyd a no-go for us.

Given the earlier discussion on the topic, why the failure to mention the other luxury lines, on which I believe you cruise , that not only welcome families but also have on-board facilities for children?

• Thanks 1