We want luxury but don't need "all inclusive."

cruisetheworld67

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

luxury cruisers should know about Hapag-Lloyd:  1). According to reports on CC, there are typically 30 or less English speaking passengers onboard;  2). They advertise for families and seem to get quite a lot of them.

Our experience on Europa 2 was that there were more English speakers than that-- both from the US and UK-- and English was always spoken by all of the crew and on printed materials. They had said they are making an extra effort to attract more English speakers. I never felt there was a language barrier at all. Also the passengers trended a bit younger-- there were a bunch of 30-40s professionals onboard. 

While there were children on board, there were not any more than we have seen on Seabourn or Regent. A few families here and there but nothing more than other luxury lines. Unlike some other luxury lines they do go out of their way to create activities for them away from everyone so I would actually say they were less noticeable than on other luxury ships where their parents had to entertain them in public. 

That being said we were blown away by Europa 2-- its far and away the finest passenger ship at sea and service and hard goods are more like staying in the finest hotel on land. It was on par with stays we have had at at hotels like the Four Seasons George V in Paris or Aman resorts which no cruise ship, luxury or not and we've been on most of them, had competed with up until now. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, English Voyager said:

Given the earlier discussion on the topic, why the failure to mention the other luxury lines, on which I believe you cruise , that not only welcome families but also have on-board facilities for children?

Yes - Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea welcome families during the summer but they are not quite so welcoming the rest of the year.  Except for Silversea's newest ship, I would not say that they have onboard facilities for children.  Regent, for instance, takes a lounge and turns it into a temporary children's area.  Fortunately, the lounge they are using is a waste of space and isn't used much.  During the times that we cruise (anytime except summer) there are 0-5 children onboard (and they are generally not thrilled to be there because there are no programs for them).

The biggest reason why people in the U.S. do not sail on Hapag-Lloyd is the language issue.  As I've mentioned previously, when we were younger, we went to many Club Meds where the main language is French so we know what it is like to dine with people that do not speak your language.  I would not pay luxury cruise line prices to cruise with non-English speaking passengers or children. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Our experience on Europa 2 was that there were more English speakers than that-- both from the US and UK-- and English was always spoken by all of the crew and on printed materials. They had said they are making an extra effort to attract more English speakers. I never felt there was a language barrier at all. Also the passengers trended a bit younger-- there were a bunch of 30-40s professionals onboard. 

While there were children on board, there were not any more than we have seen on Seabourn or Regent. A few families here and there but nothing more than other luxury lines. Unlike some other luxury lines they do go out of their way to create activities for them away from everyone so I would actually say they were less noticeable than on other luxury ships where their parents had to entertain them in public. 

That being said we were blown away by Europa 2-- its far and away the finest passenger ship at sea and service and hard goods are more like staying in the finest hotel on land. It was on par with stays we have had at at hotels like the Four Seasons George V in Paris or Aman resorts which no cruise ship, luxury or not and we've been on most of them, had competed with up until now. 

What time of the year did you cruise?  You mentioned that the ship had the same amount of children as Regent.  We have done 33 Regent cruises (with 5 more booked) and have never seen more than 5 children (except during our two summer cruises - one to the Baltics and one to Norway).  I do not consider "summer" vacations to be "normal" (at least not on Regent).  

Good to hear that there were more English speakers than others on CC have mentioned (all of my "knowledge" is from reading the luxury boards on CC").  You also mentioned younger cruisers.  Between younger cruisers, and everything else that I've read about H-L, your post has made me even more sure (if that is possible) that we will not cruise on that line.

Cruise lines need to understand that people from the U.S. either will or will not cruise on a luxury ship depending upon what is offered (all-inclusive is a huge draw), other passengers, food and service.  If a luxury cruise line is not inclusive, does not stop in the U.S., has many non-English speaking passengers and announcements in multiple languages, children on board, etc., it just won't work for them.  So, if H-L is really hoping to get inroads into the U.S., there are many things that need to change

For the record the inference , in Travelcat2's message, that Hapag-Lloyd Cruises does not stop in the US is incorrect.

Between now and the 2 October 2021 over it's fleet there are 37 cruises with destinations in the USA, and Canada.

Of those 37, 19 are on the bilingual Europa2, and the Hanseatic inspiration.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea welcome families during the summer but they are not quite so welcoming the rest of the year.  Except for Silversea's newest ship, I would not say that they have onboard facilities for children.  Regent, for instance, takes a lounge and turns it into a temporary children's area.  Fortunately, the lounge they are using is a waste of space and isn't used much.  During the times that we cruise (anytime except summer) there are 0-5 children onboard (and they are generally not thrilled to be there because there are no programs for them).

The biggest reason why people in the U.S. do not sail on Hapag-Lloyd is the language issue.  As I've mentioned previously, when we were younger, we went to many Club Meds where the main language is French so we know what it is like to dine with people that do not speak your language.  I would not pay luxury cruise line prices to cruise with non-English speaking passengers or children. 

As has been posted in a prior discussion, the following is from Regent's website:

'Our Club Mariner program is designed for age groups 5-8, 9-12 and 13-17, and is supervised by specially trained counselors. Club Mariner is available on select sailings only. Please ask your travel professional for details. Guests under the age of 16 are not permitted in the Spa or Fitness Center.' 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea welcome families during the summer but they are not quite so welcoming the rest of the year.  Except for Silversea's newest ship, I would not say that they have onboard facilities for children.  

Crystal does, in fact, have two dedicated facilities for kids/youth on both ships, one for the younger ones and one for the teen set.

Edited by Texas Tillie

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

You obviously know nothing about Hapag-Lloyd and the differences between Europa and Europa 2.  English is the primary language spoken on board Europa 2 and cruises from the US are routinely offered.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nfcu said:

You obviously know nothing about Hapag-Lloyd and the differences between Europa and Europa 2.  English is the primary language spoken on board Europa 2 and cruises from the US are routinely offered.  

I only know what I read on the luxury board.  I do know the difference between Europa and Europa 2 and my comments are always about Europa 2.  I have yet to read a post or thread that said that even half of the passengers on Europa 2 speak English. I am also aware that they are trying to get inroads to the U.S. market ........ good luck with that as Crystal, Regent, Seadream Yachts, Seabourn and Silversea (and soon Ritz Carlton Yachts) have this market wrapped up.  As has been asked on this board previously, if you do not speak English, would you want to be on an all English speaking ship?  On the luxury lines that I've mentioned, announcements are made once and is always in English.  On the other hand, Europa 2 apparently make announcements in multiple languages but the majority of passengers are not native English speakers.

Note:  If someone on Regent cannot speak English, there is always a crew member that can assist but it would be a case of finding a crew member that speaks your language and is available to help. 

Now that Silversea is advertising for children and families, there is no need for yet another cruise line to offer this - especially when it is not inclusive and there is the language issue.  Note:  As many know, Silversea and Crystal are foreign owned but the crew (making an assumption about Crystal) and most guests speak English.  

It was my error about H-L not stopping in the U.S.  This was an incorrect assumption based on the stringent rules that are put on cruise ships when they enter U.S. waters.  Regent has to change many things before they reach the U.S. - down to how silverware/napkins are placed on the table, how sugar on the table is packaged, etc.

English Voyager - I am well aware of the Mariner's Club on Regent (that only runs during the summer).  However, you may not be aware that these programs take place in spaces usually used by passengers - there are no dedicated children areas.  On the Mariner (the ship that has been cruising Alaska the last few years) has a very large lounge that isn't used until late at night.  This is used for the kids program.  Next year, when Regent moves Explorer, I have no idea where the kids will go.  They do have one lounge that is closed during the day so that may work.  Silversea also does not have specific areas for children (except for the Muse and possibly their newest ship).  I highly doubt if Seabourn has a dedicated children's area and am surprised that Crystal does (I'll check it out when we are onboard in 12 days. ) 

Personally, I don't think whether other passengers speak English or not has anything to do with luxury. If I spend a week at the Crillon In Paris where most people speak French that does not take away anything form how luxurious it is.

I think Europa 2 is certainly a luxury ship even though it does not include alcohol. The do offer drinks and champagne at many events throughout the sailing though and its decor, service and food and restaurant quality more than make up for the lack of all inclusive drinks.

• Thanks 1

I am afraid Hapag Lloyd also have to change some items on board  - and add warnings on the menu cards  ( as for eating raw meat or fish ) - one of the public room managers told me the team on board is having quite a job on preparations before the first call in US.

Travelcat2,

yet again you post a comment which you know is factually inaccurate:

'On the other hand, Europa 2 apparently make announcements in multiple languages'.

You have been advised on numerous occasions that on-board the Europa 2 the official languages are German, and English.

As for the Europa 2 in the USA,  the Members Cruise Reviews contains two reviews on the Ship's December 2014 cruise that embarked in New York.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only know what I read on the luxury board.  I do know the difference between Europa and Europa 2 and my comments are always about Europa 2.  I have yet to read a post or thread that said that even half of the passengers on Europa 2 speak English. I am also aware that they are trying to get inroads to the U.S. market ........ good luck with that as Crystal, Regent, Seadream Yachts, Seabourn and Silversea (and soon Ritz Carlton Yachts) have this market wrapped up.  As has been asked on this board previously, if you do not speak English, would you want to be on an all English speaking ship?  On the luxury lines that I've mentioned, announcements are made once and is always in English.  On the other hand, Europa 2 apparently make announcements in multiple languages but the majority of passengers are not native English speakers.

Note:  If someone on Regent cannot speak English, there is always a crew member that can assist but it would be a case of finding a crew member that speaks your language and is available to help. 

Now that Silversea is advertising for children and families, there is no need for yet another cruise line to offer this - especially when it is not inclusive and there is the language issue.  Note:  As many know, Silversea and Crystal are foreign owned but the crew (making an assumption about Crystal) and most guests speak English.  

It was my error about H-L not stopping in the U.S.  This was an incorrect assumption based on the stringent rules that are put on cruise ships when they enter U.S. waters.  Regent has to change many things before they reach the U.S. - down to how silverware/napkins are placed on the table, how sugar on the table is packaged, etc.

English Voyager - I am well aware of the Mariner's Club on Regent (that only runs during the summer).  However, you may not be aware that these programs take place in spaces usually used by passengers - there are no dedicated children areas.  On the Mariner (the ship that has been cruising Alaska the last few years) has a very large lounge that isn't used until late at night.  This is used for the kids program.  Next year, when Regent moves Explorer, I have no idea where the kids will go.  They do have one lounge that is closed during the day so that may work.  Silversea also does not have specific areas for children (except for the Muse and possibly their newest ship).  I highly doubt if Seabourn has a dedicated children's area and am surprised that Crystal does (I'll check it out when we are onboard in 12 days. ) 

I am not new to cruising, but new to this area.  I am a US citizen, and I am appalled at the slurring of facts by this poster.   I am embarrassed and mortified that this type of misinformation has been allowed to be spread.   We have been on Regent, and Seabourn Cruiselines... Yes, We have also been on Europa 2,  there were aprox 10 children onboard during our cruise (two of which were from a high level member of the crew).   There were aprox 25% US citizens, and the rest a wonderful mix of European and Australians.     ALLLLLL spoke English.   Wow, just wow,   I would ask in the future, that before you post about something you know NOTHING about, that you say NOTHING.  YOU may not like anything but a USA filled cruise ship, but I can say that YOU do NOT speak for others.    There are also folks who welcome people from ALL areas of the world.   Wow.    I am done with these boards, as I find people so very close minded and tend to want to speak for everyone else, which they know they do not.   

good luck with that as Crystal, Regent, Seadream Yachts, Seabourn and Silversea (and soon Ritz Carlton Yachts) have this market wrapped up. 

Not looking to pile on but I wouldn't say they have it wrapped up at all but thats a different argument-- its a very dynamic market right now with new concepts (expedition ships are the new in thing etc). I think the most alarming trend in the luxury space is how much bigger the newer ships are getting. 

From the people I spoke to onboard Europa 2 they would tell you that they aren't really even trying to compete-- the ship sort of marches to its own beat and the itineraries are generally one long continuous flow rarely repeating ports unlike the others which will do several identical cruises in a row. The onboard product and service are so well put together, it honestly makes our experiences on Regent or Crystal seem like a 4 day booze cruise on Carnival. We were that blown away. 

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Now that Silversea is advertising for children and families, there is no need for yet another cruise line to offer this - especially when it is not inclusive and there is the language issue.

I actually think that Hapag does a better job than the other top end lines with children as I said earlier. As you mentioned on the times we've been on Seabourn or Regent when there were kids aboard, they had to make do with taking over underutilized spaces and would be with their parents quite a bit. On Europa 2 I think I saw the 10-12 kids onboard our October cruise at embarkation and when we picked up our bags after we got off the ship. It was a few years ago but I literally cant remember seeing them onboard. 

16 minutes ago, Regcru said:

I am not new to cruising, but new to this area.  I am a US citizen, and I am appalled at the slurring of facts by this poster.   I am embarrassed and mortified that this type of misinformation has been allowed to be spread.   We have been on Regent, and Seabourn Cruiselines... Yes, We have also been on Europa 2,  there were aprox 10 children onboard during our cruise (two of which were from a high level member of the crew).   There were aprox 25% US citizens, and the rest a wonderful mix of European and Australians.     ALLLLLL spoke English.   Wow, just wow,   I would ask in the future, that before you post about something you know NOTHING about, that you say NOTHING.  YOU may not like anything but a USA filled cruise ship, but I can say that YOU do NOT speak for others.    There are also folks who welcome people from ALL areas of the world.   Wow.    I am done with these boards, as I find people so very close minded and tend to want to speak for everyone else, which they know they do not.   

Wow - quite angry and harsh.  There is no need to yell - really!  

Your experience with a lot of English speaking passengers is not what I have read on CC but understand that each cruise can be different.  

I have not even tried to speak for others - I post/report on what I read. Obviously I am speaking for my DH and myself.    While we do look for 100% people from the U.S. and Canada (Regent has approximately 80% North American passengers), we do look for a English speaking crew (In my opinion, this is very important in case of an emergency -- I want announcements to be in a language that I understand).  

In terms of children, based on personal experience on Regent and Silversea and what I have read on the Seabourn board.  When the subject of children comes up on CC, we/they try to suggest other cruise lines as the majority of posters on these lines prefer not to sail with children (but understand that they need to avoid cruising during the summer as ships are full of children).

In any case, your message could have been more effective if done with a bit more thoughtfulness and my post may have been a bit harsh regarding H-L 

10 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Not looking to pile on but I wouldn't say they have it wrapped up at all but thats a different argument-- its a very dynamic market right now with new concepts (expedition ships are the new in thing etc). I think the most alarming trend in the luxury space is how much bigger the newer ships are getting. 

From the people I spoke to onboard Europa 2 they would tell you that they aren't really even trying to compete-- the ship sort of marches to its own beat and the itineraries are generally one long continuous flow rarely repeating ports unlike the others which will do several identical cruises in a row. The onboard product and service are so well put together, it honestly makes our experiences on Regent or Crystal seem like a 4 day booze cruise on Carnival. We were that blown away. 

I actually think that Hapag does a better job than the other top end lines with children as I said earlier. As you mentioned on the times we've been on Seabourn or Regent when there were kids aboard, they had to make do with taking over underutilized spaces and would be with their parents quite a bit. On Europa 2 I think I saw the 10-12 kids onboard our October cruise at embarkation and when we picked up our bags after we got off the ship. It was a few years ago but I literally cant remember seeing them onboard. 

Appreciate the civil way in which you explain things that I may have not understood from reading the boards.

While I do not see Regent as a "booze cruise", when they went all-inclusive, the formerly quiet lounges with few people in them changed.  I rarely see people over drink on Regent but most people in the lounges do have a drink that they are sipping on - along with canapés.  The lounges are now comfortable places to meet before or after dinner - enjoy a quiet drink and chat with other passengers if they choose to do so.

Agree about the ever-changing market.  However, what I am seeing so far is small "yacht type" ships with fewer passengers.  Would you mind sharing which cruise lines are building larger luxury ships (I know that Regent's Explorer is newer and holds 50 guests more than their typical ships).  Silversea and Seabourn's ships are quite a bit smaller than Regent's and they are generally newer.  Crystal, on the other hand, has two old ocean going ships (reportedly in excellent shape).  They will not have a new ship until either 2022 or 2023 and it will be interesting to learn what the size of that ship will be since both Crystal ships are considerably larger than Regent.

In any case, I do not doubt the service, luxuriousness of the ships........ it is just isn't for us.

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

While I do not see Regent as a "booze cruise", when they went all-inclusive, the formerly quiet lounges with few people in them changed.

It wasn't really the alcohol I was talking about-- more that the HL Europa 2 onboard product was of such a significantly higher quality to Regent that it made Regent seem more like a mass market line. 

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Would you mind sharing which cruise lines are building larger luxury ships (I know that Regent's Explorer is newer and holds 50 guests more than their typical ships)

Seabourn's new ships, Encore and Ovation, are an extra deck larger and carry 150 passengers more than Odyssey class. Odyssey class is twice as large as the original Seabourn sisters Pride, Legend, and Spirit (they were favorite ships of ours). Seabourn actually disposed of Seadream 1 & 2 for being too small-- they were originally Cunard's ultra luxury Sea Goddesses (also favorite ships of ours when they sailed for Cunard/Seabourn). All trending larger. 

Regent-- Seven Seas Navigator of 1999 is 28,500 tons. Voyager of 2003 is 48,000 tons. Explorer of 2016 is 54,000 tons-- huge difference and trending larger.

Silverseas-- Silver Cloud of 1994-- 17,000 tons. Whisper of 2001 is 28,000 tons. Silver Muse just built is 40,000 tons. Keep getting bigger. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It wasn't really the alcohol I was talking about-- more that the HL Europa 2 onboard product was of such a significantly higher quality to Regent that it made Regent seem more like a mass market line. 

Seabourn's new ships, Encore and Ovation, are an extra deck larger and carry 150 passengers more than Odyssey class. Odyssey class is twice as large as the original Seabourn sisters Pride, Legend, and Spirit (they were favorite ships of ours). Seabourn actually disposed of Seadream 1 & 2 for being too small-- they were originally Cunard's ultra luxury Sea Goddesses (also favorite ships of ours when they sailed for Cunard/Seabourn). All trending larger. 

Regent-- Seven Seas Navigator of 1999 is 28,500 tons. Voyager of 2003 is 48,000 tons. Explorer of 2016 is 54,000 tons-- huge difference and trending larger.

Silverseas-- Silver Cloud of 1994-- 17,000 tons. Whisper of 2001 is 28,000 tons. Silver Muse just built is 40,000 tons. Keep getting bigger. 

Not just an increase in size but also, to my mind, a disproportionate increase in passenger numbers.

According to the 2019 edition of the Berlitz Guide:

Seabourn Ovation:

Tonnage: 40350

Passengers: 604

Passenger Space Ratio: 67.2

Seven Seas Explorer:

Tonnage: 56000

Passengers: 750

Passenger Space Ratio: 74.6

Silver Muse:

Tonnage: 40700

Passengers: 596

Passenger Space Ratio: 78.8

Europa 2:

Tonnage: 42830

Passengers: 516

Passenger Space Ratio: 83.0

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

No, not obvious at all.......you've made a lot of statements making assumptions about what "people" want and why "people" won't be comfortable on the Europa2.

I have learned what luxury passengers like (or not) - having spent almost 500 nights on luxury ships.  However, since this is a sore topic for H-L cruisers, I'll be happy to ignore H-L posts on the luxury board (I would not be responding to anything H-L if they were not on the Luxury board and had their own board as most of us do not visit boards of cruise lines that do not meet our requirements)............ 

English Voyager and Princeton - I am taking about passenger capacity - not tonnage.  In terms of passenger capacity, luxury cruise lines are not getting larger.

P.S.  Sorry but I am not a fan of Berlitz.  

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While we do look for 100% people from the U.S. and Canada (Regent has approximately 80% North American passengers), we do look for a English speaking crew (In my opinion, this is very important in case of an emergency -- I want announcements to be in a language that I understand).  

Also worth noting here-- across most cruise lines but this certainly applies to the luxury ones-- English is a second language to most crew and officers. I can't think of a single line, in any segment, that employs a majority of crew that English is their first language. A lot of Philippine and Eastern European on the hotel/dining side and a lot of Scandinavian officers if we're going to generalize. Maybe the only line I've seen that has a somewhat majority English deck officer group was Cunard, but thats stretching back 10-20 years and they have diversified considerably. 

Point being, in no way is your safety jeopardized because of highly competent, highly trained crew members who happen to speak English as a second language. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

However, since this is a sore topic for H-L cruisers, I'll be happy to ignore H-L posts on the luxury board

Its not a sore subject-- and I'm not even an "H-L Cruiser"-- I've taken one trip 2 years ago with them! The rub everyone has is that you are presenting your often uninformed opinion as fact. If the facts or first hand opinions presented by others don't advance your notion of how things should be, you dismiss or discredit. 

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am taking about passenger capacity - not tonnage.  In terms of passenger capacity, luxury cruise lines are not getting larger.

P.S.  Sorry but I am not a fan of Berlitz

In terms of passenger capacity-- all of the ships that were listed have increased. Those numbers were specifically mentioned for Seabourn in the original post-- nearly doubling from the original ships to Odyssey and by a third increase for the newer ships. In terms of Regent, the older Navigator carries 490 and newer Explorer 750. I don't know about you, but over 500 passengers things start to feel like a cattle call. 

• Thanks 1

I have learned what luxury passengers like (or not) - having spent almost 500 nights on luxury ships.

But not on all luxury lines, and probably having have interacted with maybe 25% of the passengers on the lines you have sailed with.  You've admitted that much of what you're writing about has come from what you've read on these boards, and CC posters are a small minority of passengers (and I wager an even smaller minority of luxury passengers).  I've spent over 150 nights on luxury ships, and there's no way I'd be so arrogant as to presume that puts me in touch with what even the "luxury passengers" on those ships like, let alone what the passengers on the entire range of luxury ships like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, English Voyager said:

Travelcat2,

yet again you post a comment which you know is factually inaccurate:

'On the other hand, Europa 2 apparently make announcements in multiple languages'.

You have been advised on numerous occasions that on-board the Europa 2 the official languages are German, and English.

As for the Europa 2 in the USA,  the Members Cruise Reviews contains two reviews on the Ship's December 2014 cruise that embarked in New York.

That is very true  , on the MS Europa regular announcements are in German only,  however when safety or an emergency is involved it is done both in German and English  ( like smoking forbidden also in smoking designed areas or a medical case ) 

• Thanks 1

I prefer not to mention my numbers of days and night I spent on luxury lines and I admit in full I am not a PH passenger.

I cannot comment on Regent because I never sailed on that company, only that I was not attracted by 2 visitors lunches and that I do not want to pay the onerous single supplements and for excursions I will not join for.  

After done so many cruises I was far more annoyed by groups of  drunk people - several times on various companies - as by children making some laughs and fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1