We want luxury but don't need "all inclusive."

cruisetheworld67

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

That is very true  , on the MS Europa regular announcements are in German only,  however when safety or an emergency is involved it is done both in German and English  ( like smoking forbidden also in smoking designed areas or a medical case ) 

Occasionally, on the Europa 2 if there is something of particular interest to see, such as when we cruised through the Dardanelles, or our pre-dawn sail into Istanbul, the Port Lecturer has given from the bridge a commentary in German, and English.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wripro said:

Why are these threads perpetuated so long? They should be shut down by the moderator after the same posters repeat the same points of view over and over and over. No one persuades anyone else. 

Because there are a lot of people on Cruise Critic who don't have much of a life!! 😛😱😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Because there are a lot of people on Cruise Critic who don't have much of a life!! 😛😱😎

The posters that I know on CC have a great life.  CC is simply a hobby for many of us.  It is not our life but is interesting and sometimes can be fun.  Personally, I enjoy answering questions on the Regent board where I am very patient with newbies.  Many times people new to a cruise line have the wrong impression - whether it is because they read information on the boards that was either incorrect or old or perhaps they have not done any research.  Being kind, helpful and patient with newbies is quite satisfying.  Many become regulars of the cruise line and end up helping others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The posters that I know on CC have a great life.  CC is simply a hobby for many of us.  It is not our life but is interesting and sometimes can be fun.  Personally, I enjoy answering questions on the Regent board where I am very patient with newbies.  Many times people new to a cruise line have the wrong impression - whether it is because they read information on the boards that was either incorrect or old or perhaps they have not done any research.  Being kind, helpful and patient with newbies is quite satisfying.  Many become regulars of the cruise line and end up helping others.

Exactly how many funny face emojis would I need to place on my post for you to understand that it was a joke?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wripro said:

A hobby takes up a small portion one's time. not the entire day.

Correct.  I am online about 3 hours a day - mostly doing research.  I fit CC posts when I'm taking a break from research.  It is quite amazing how much one can accomplish in a short period of time when they type 100 wpm.

23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Correct.  I am online about 3 hours a day - mostly doing research.  I fit CC posts when I'm taking a break from research.  It is quite amazing how much one can accomplish in a short period of time when they type 100 wpm.

How do you get all your posts to be spread out throughout the day so that you are always responding to whatever anyone posts no matter what time? I'd love to know how that is done.

5 minutes ago, wripro said:

How do you get all your posts to be spread out throughout the day so that you are always responding to whatever anyone posts no matter what time? I'd love to know how that is done.

Really not difficult.  I check CC after I am up and dressed - I may respond to posts (or not) and go on to other things I'm researching.  I'm online probably 45 minute to an hour and may check CC quickly before I log off.

I tend to each lunch at at my desk so I'm back on while I'm eating (which I am doing right now).  Unless something is going on, I'm not online from about noon to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Daylight Savings Time).   When we get home, I check again and may or may not stay online (if I do, it is mainly to answer emails).  After checking email I occasionally check the system until about midnight - not always posting but reading.

This is not a strict schedule.  If there is a "hot" thread going on, I check more often and/or if I'm waiting for a response.  This isn't much different than people whose hobbies includes working in the garden, on cars, knitting or whatever.  My DH can stay outside for many hours during the summer working on plants, etc.  Also, some people are "attached" to their cell phone ...... I am not.  Whether I am with my husband or a friend, they get 100% of my attention with no phone interruptions.  

This posting is taking me at least twice as long as a normal post because I am having to think about when I'm online. 

To others on this thread, sorry for the completely off topic post.  I was just answering a question.

56 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Really not difficult.  I check CC after I am up and dressed - I may respond to posts (or not) and go on to other things I'm researching.  I'm online probably 45 minute to an hour and may check CC quickly before I log off.

I tend to each lunch at at my desk so I'm back on while I'm eating (which I am doing right now).  Unless something is going on, I'm not online from about noon to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Daylight Savings Time).   When we get home, I check again and may or may not stay online (if I do, it is mainly to answer emails).  After checking email I occasionally check the system until about midnight - not always posting but reading.

This is not a strict schedule.  If there is a "hot" thread going on, I check more often and/or if I'm waiting for a response.  This isn't much different than people whose hobbies includes working in the garden, on cars, knitting or whatever.  My DH can stay outside for many hours during the summer working on plants, etc.  Also, some people are "attached" to their cell phone ...... I am not.  Whether I am with my husband or a friend, they get 100% of my attention with no phone interruptions.  

This posting is taking me at least twice as long as a normal post because I am having to think about when I'm online. 

To others on this thread, sorry for the completely off topic post.  I was just answering a question.

Quite frankly, it is your business and nobody else. Don't spend the time and aggravation answering. Don't always agree with you, but no response is the best response .

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 5:14 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Crystal, on the other hand, has two old ocean going ships (reportedly in excellent shape).  They will not have a new ship until either 2022 or 2023 and it will be interesting to learn what the size of that ship will be since both Crystal ships are considerably larger than Regent

Wrong - again...

Crystal Endeavor launches in 2020 - a 200 passengers ocean going Expedition ship 

https://www.crystalcruises.com.au/experience/expedition

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wrong - again...

Crystal Endeavor launches in 2020 - a 200 passengers ocean going Expedition ship 

https://www.crystalcruises.com.au/experience/expedition

Obviously I am not talking about an "Expedition ship" but rather a ship that will add to the small fleet of Ocean going ships (Symphony and Serenity).  The last I heard, a new ship will not launch until around 2022/23.  The Crystal Endeavor may be competition to Silversea but not to Regent or Seabourn.

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Obviously I am not talking about an "Expedition ship" but rather a ship that will add to the small fleet of Ocean going ships (Symphony and Serenity).  The last I heard, a new ship will not launch until around 2022/23.  The Crystal Endeavor may be competition to Silversea but not to Regent or Seabourn.

Given  the planned itineraries the Endeavour is definitely ocean going.

It will have entry level suites of 300 sq ft, six dining venues, a two-storey glass enclosed solarium, and a Palm Court.

All for 200 passengers.

Looks like competition to Regent, and Seabourn to me.

I wonder if the 'expedition' sector has been identified as the next growth area.

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises' three new ships are 'expedition' vessels. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

Given  the planned itineraries the Endeavour is definitely ocean going....

Looks like competition to Regent, and Seabourn to me.

I wonder if the 'expedition' sector has been identified as the next growth area.

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises' three new ships are 'expedition' vessels. 

Agreed - I didn't both dignifying the rebuttal with a response

The Endeavor certainly has lots of luxury features - and a per diem that will stretch many budgets

Given the number of luxury expedition ships planned by various lines (including two from Seabourn - https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/news/press-release/2019-press-releases/pr-20190312-seabourn-names-first-new-ultra-luxury-expedition-ship-seabourn-venture.html ) there's going to be a potential oversupply of capacity

Edited by Stickman1990

28 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

I just think it is  hilarious how  my post went completely off the rails! 🤣🤣

As it does with many threads 😉

Some people always have to have the last word  ..even if it is wrong LOL

Hopefully you found  a cruise line  that will fit your needs/wants  in all the  mess  here 😉

• Like 1

since the age of  some of the ships was brought into question

Regent Voyager  2003

Naviagator   1999

Mariner 2001

Crystal Serenity  2003

Symphony 1995

Not much of a difference  in the grand scheme

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

since the age of  some of the ships was brought into question

Regent Voyager  2003

Naviagator   1999

Mariner 2001

Crystal Serenity  2003

Symphony 1995

Not much of a difference  in the grand scheme

Speaking of wrong........ if you are going to quote ships on a particular cruise line, please count all of them.  Was leaving out Regent's two newest ships.  Not sure if you meant to, but for accuracy purposes, here is the rest of Regent's fleet:

Regent Explorer 2016

Regent Splendor 2020 (launches in 5 1/2 months)

IMO, five ships vs. two ships is quite a difference! (plus Regent has another ship due out in around 2023)

P.S.  TrulyBlonde - agree that it was no one's business.  I keep hoping that if I tell them what they want to know they will stop the bashing!

Edited by Travelcat2

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Try Azamara - we used to sail with HAL & now go with Azamara. There is a world of difference in food and service - and no nickel & diming either.

However, Azamara is not a luxury cruise line (which is what this board is supposedly about).  I have heard positive and negative things about Azamara.  Hope that you try a luxury cruise line ...... it just may spoil you forever.

As an aside, I haven't seen you on CC before.  If you are new, welcome to CC - we really appreciate our 'hosts".

• Haha 1