Keto; what are some alcohol drinks that you like to order?

Obviously,  hard liquor has no carbs, as well as dry wines, etc.  What do you like to mix your alcohol with, soda water?  

This is the first time I have cruised since we began Keto last year.  I only drink wine at home. 

I appreciate any replies that are related to this topic.  Thanks! 

I too am interested in this since I am also trying to stay keto and I am a 3 yr bariatric patient.  I did a cruise in 2018 to Alaska and did pretty good, but not perfect. Rum with Diet Coke and a lime is good.  I also like a good red wine.  I am more concerned with the sugar content!

My understanding is that some artificial sweeteners can trigger insulin production. Fortunately I like scotch/bourbon on the rocks which is all I drink other than dry wine.

Edited by mac66

I just drink either a bloody mary during the day (although i'm sure there is sugar in the mix) so I limit these - then for happy hour and at night I have a slightly dirty martini, or with a lemon twist.  I always ask for Tito's vodka.  

31 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

Yes, absolutely, sugar and carbs both are of concern.  No mixers as they are loaded with sugar.  I don’t drink sweet wine so that’s not an issue.  

My wife is on very low carb and she has a lot of Gin and Diet tonic water or diet sprite.  Night time in the bar or specialty restaurants it is a Cucumber Martini. Her favorite drink was a Margarita, now never again. 

2 minutes ago, camper51 said:

I just drink either a bloody mary during the day (although i'm sure there is sugar in the mix) so I limit these - then for happy hour and at night I have a slightly dirty martini, or with a lemon twist.  I always ask for Tito's vodka.  

There is about 5 grams of carbs in a Bloody Mary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

Mike, unfortunately, some of the favored rums are up there in carb count.  They are all different. I will read up on them before we sail. Thanks. 😊

Only flavored or spiced rum has carbs. I keep Sailor Jerry's  92 proof rum at home, 0 carbs and the only thing I add is ice..  Good thing I don't count calories.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

My wife is on very low carb and she has a lot of Gin and Diet tonic water or diet sprite.  Night time in the bar or specialty restaurants it is a Cucumber Martini. Her favorite drink was a Margarita, now never again. 

Diet tonic on the ship? I always ask and the answer has been no but it's been a year since we've cruised.

10 minutes ago, okeytaco said:

Diet tonic on the ship? I always ask and the answer has been no but it's been a year since we've cruised.

I think it usually ends up being diet sprite. On our Symphony TA they had diet tonic, or at least said it was.  She had several each night in the DL, if it wasn't she could not tell or feel it. She is pre diabetic and tries to be careful. happy cruising

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

Obviously,  hard liquor has no carbs, as well as dry wines, etc.  What do you like to mix your alcohol with, soda water?  

This is the first time I have cruised since we began Keto last year.  I only drink wine at home. 

I appreciate any replies that are related to this topic.  Thanks! 

Not only are we on the next cruise with you but both my wife and I are also on the Keto diet.  My wife will only have a wine and I will usually have my drink over ice with no mixer.  Some people have suggested diet coke, that can be keto friendly.  I agree, most mixers would take you out of Ketosis real fast.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

Well thanks bonsai3s but with triple sec and coke, that would definitely not be on a Keto list.  Just a shot of triple sec is about 11 carbs.  That’s one shot, no thanks. 

I ask them to leave out the triple sec and add diet coke. They taste pretty good! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Esmerelda said:

Well thanks bonsai3s but with triple sec and coke, that would definitely not be on a Keto list.  Just a shot of triple sec is about 11 carbs.  That’s one shot, no thanks. 

Oops!....forgot to add this:

https://www.tasty-lowcarb.com/keto-long-island-iced-tea-cocktail/#/

Bonsai3s, that linked drink sounds good but wow, that’s a lot of booze.  I don’t weigh a lot now sine I’ve been gone keto (which is a great thing).  I’m afraid a glass of that and I would be singing Christmas carols. 😆. It does sound yummy though...thanks for posting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1