Uber from IAH to Galveston port Sunday departure - experiances?

cruisegus

as the title says anyone have recent experience with an Uber or Lyft for all it maters

from IAH or nearby hotel to Galveston port for a Sunday departure, I would plan to leave IAH area NLT 8am

recent experiences?  trying to plan for a week before thanksgiving cruise

On 8/18/2019 at 9:36 PM, ssb said:

On this board see thread 

transport to Galveston port

not really helpful, as I have read most if not all of those threads already.

looking for Recent Experiences, like someone that has actually take an Uber from IAH to port in the last 6 months.

looking for availability, wait times, problems if any, even price would all be helpful

but thanks anyway for your reply

3 hours ago, cruisegus said:

looking for Recent Experiences, like someone that has actually take an Uber from IAH to port in the last 6 months.

looking for availability, wait times, problems if any, even price would all be helpful

I just did a "phantom booking" request on Uber. Right now, at 12:35pm CDT, estimated Uber pick up at Terminal C IAH is 7 minutes, the estimated drive time to the Port of Galveston is 90 minutes, the Uber fare is $62.71, the Uber XL fare is $154.14. I also just did a "phantom booking" request on Lyft. Similar wait and drive times; the fare is a few dollars greater than Uber. Times and costs will vary depending on the time of day, day of week, and even the weather, but this is a fairly accurate representation of current conditions.

Rob

• Like 1

Yes thanks Rob,  I have done that, make phantom bookings on Uber actually at 7:30 to 8:30 am on Sunday mornings and get very similar results.  Guess I'm just a little hesitant relying on Uber to get me to my cruise on a Sunday morning being its so far. 

I really dislike the group shuttle experience,  and private limos are a little on the expensive side for just 2 people.  You see a lot of reviews for  shuttle services and transportation for larger groups, but fe reviews on using Uber

Sounds like your telling me Uber or Lyft are available almost anytime in Houston area.

26 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Guess I'm just a little hesitant relying on Uber to get me to my cruise on a Sunday morning being its so far. Sounds like your telling me Uber or Lyft are available almost anytime in Houston area.

We've used Uber from IAH and HOU at all sorts of early and late hours without any difficulties. With very rare exceptions (usually weather-related), both ride-sharing services are readily available.

For us, we would be more concerned about flight delays or cancellations when flying in the day the ship sails, rather than ground transportation logistics. We always plan to arrive at the port a minimum of the day before sailing, and depending on the distance traveled, often 2 or more days before sailing. Many cruisers do not arrive early, but for us, we are always more at ease staying overnight at or near the port, rather than flying in the day of the cruise.

In any event, enjoy your journey!

good to know Rob, about Uber at IAH / Bush. 

We actually are flying in the day before but staying at a hotel on JFK blvd that night. 

My experiences with Hotels in Galveston is they are much more expensive.   The closest to port require a 2 night stay.  Some of the ones out on Seawall Blvd, I have had trouble getting taxis early when I want to leave for port, most likely because they are all down there lined up for passengers.  Even booked one the night before last time and had to wait 1 hr 45 past pick up time for its arrival.

Figured I might have better luck with an early morning Uber from Houston.

• 3 months later...

report back

Uber XL  Actuals

17 Nov 2019 – JFK Blvd to port – $69.90   -  left 0740 and arrived around 0910

24 Nov 2019 – Port to IAH - -  $73.58

15840 John F Kennedy Boulevard, Houston, TX 77032

TO

2702 Harborside Dr, Galveston, TX 77550

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, cruisegus said:

report back

Uber XL  Actuals

TO

How many people can you fit into an Uber XL with luggage for a week?

We recently used Lyft from Hobby to a hotel  on Galveston Island. Cost was $38 plus tip. This was for a standard sized Lyft vehicle. We had just signed up for a Lyft account and received their offer of 25% off our first 10 rides. Used Lyft again the next day for a ride from our hotel to the pier. Cost was under $5.

11 hours ago, MoCowBell said:

How many people can you fit into an Uber XL with luggage for a week?

The answer really depends on how much luggage you have for a week and how comfortable you can be sitting in as back seat of a standard car.

Using standard 25" roll-a-board and back pack each, 3 can be comfortable, luggage in trunk 2 back seat, 1 passenger seat.

If you are willing to squeeze you can put 3 in back seat, but you may have your backpacks in your lap, I personally would not do this with adults, maybe pre-teens or young teens.

Also consider how far the drive is IAH to Galveston is 1 hour + and i would want to be comfortable on the ride.

Hope this helped.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, Pantherfan! said:

Cruisegus, I see from the address you used in your "report back" that you may have stayed at the Springhill Suites on JFK BLvd?  If so what was your experience with this hotel?

I'm curious about that hotel as well.  I actually have it booked for next month.  

On 11/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, cruisegus said:

report back

Uber XL  Actuals

TO

Did you book your Uber XL on 11/24 prior to your cruise getting back to Galveston, or did you do it in the morning when you had your bags? I'm just a little hesitant to use it for the return.  

Only Pantherfan! is following this thread. Hopefully, this will get the attention of cruisegus:

@cruisegus please come back to this thread. Folks need some help here from you.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Just returned from a cruise on Majesty out of NOLA.

So the Spring Hill on JFK was a standard motel for this brand, service was good, breakfast was Ok, was clean and did not seem in a bad part of town, mainly office complexes.  I will not hesitate to stay here again, airport shuttle was convenient and quick. 

We just went next door for dinner at the Courtyard Bistro, but there were other places around, but not a huge selection.  We walked up the street to a nearby liqueur store and even a little further down before we turned back and made out purchase.

Uber we were able to get fairly quickly after retrieving our bags, but our flight was not until late afternoon so really we had no worries

• Like 1