TA Onboard Credit

5 minutes ago, maggieb1 said:

How does it work?

If I prepay tips, drink package, excursion etc  what can I use a TA Onboard Credit for?

Could I use it for Voom internet package?

thanks

You can use it for just about anything.  Plus it would probably be a refundable credit that would be returned to cc you are using for your account. 

8 minutes ago, maggieb1 said:

How does it work?

If I prepay tips, drink package, excursion etc  what can I use a TA Onboard Credit for?

thanks

Anything you buy onboard, VOOM, shops, spa, etc. 

3 minutes ago, fdthird said:

And just hope it shows!  Last time I got one, somebody on the agency side neglected to coordinate with Royal.  My OBC came in the form of a check several weeks after I got home!  

Same here.  Really didn't matter,  the money was the same.  Actually in a way it was better as I got double  credit card points for my purchases.   The full folio gave me a few more pennies. The  TA check simply went against the credit card bill. 

M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fdthird said:

And just hope it shows!  Last time I got one, somebody on the agency side neglected to coordinate with Royal.  My OBC came in the form of a check several weeks after I got home!  

That happened to us once. We got a check for it with an extra $50 for our inconvenience, along with a hand written note of apology from the owner. 

On 8/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, maggieb1 said:

How does it work?

thanks

If you buy the drink package (I do about half the time) Voom is a perfect way to spend it. I also have a habit of picking up a watch to remind me of each cruise. 

Make sure to ask your TA if the OBC is refundable so no nasty surprises are in store at the end of your cruise. We always make sure the OBC offered is refundable (since there are some that will take their “gift” back if not used). That way, no matter what happens you will end up getting any excess back snd will find yourself worrying less about wasting any money/credit.

3 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

... (since there are some that will take their “gift” back if not used). That way, no matter what happens you will end up getting any excess back...

Just cash out the last night at guest services and there will be no way the TA can get it back. If you are told it is non-refundable, have fun on your mini shopping spree. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Make sure to ask your TA if the OBC is refundable so no nasty surprises are in store at the end of your cruise. We always make sure the OBC offered is refundable (since there are some that will take their “gift” back if not used). That way, no matter what happens you will end up getting any excess back snd will find yourself worrying less about wasting any money/credit.

Never heard of that happening.  TA OBC is refundable and would be refunded to your credit card on the last night if not used.  

What came from your TA May have been actually been from Royal and appears as if it is coming through your TA (pass through). In this case it is not refundable and it’s not the TA taking it back it is Royal.  

As a TA I have no way of taking back OBC once issued.  It then belongs to the client 

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Never heard of that happening.  TA OBC is refundable and would be refunded to your credit card on the last night if not used.  

What came from your TA May have been actually been from Royal and appears as if it is coming through your TA (pass through). In this case it is not refundable and it’s not the TA taking it back it is Royal.  

As a TA I have no way of taking back OBC once issued.  It then belongs to the client 

All I can do is tell you what some have told me. I can't see why they would bother giving it just to take it back, but there definitely have been some who said that was the case. I didn't use them of course, but their emails on it were clear. No idea why if they can't actually get it back...?

19 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

All I can do is tell you what some have told me. I can't see why they would bother giving it just to take it back, but there definitely have been some who said that was the case. I didn't use them of course, but their emails on it were clear. No idea why if they can't actually get it back...?

Again, it depends if the OBC was provided by the cruise line as part of your booking (this typically can't be refunded -- you use it or lose it), or if the OBC was provided by the Travel Agent (basically, they are giving you part of their commission from selling you the cruise).  

They may have said, "We'll give you X amount of OBC" when in actuality it was the cruise line giving it as part of the fare promotion.  

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Again, it depends if the OBC was provided by the cruise line as part of your booking (this typically can't be refunded -- you use it or lose it), or if the OBC was provided by the Travel Agent (basically, they are giving you part of their commission from selling you the cruise).  

They may have said, "We'll give you X amount of OBC" when in actuality it was the cruise line giving it as part of the fare promotion.  

I understand that you wish to be helpful, but in this case I was not asking about it this issue here but only responding to someone's comment about it.  We cruise often and I understand how it works. To be clear, I was referring to the TA's OBC and that fact that we have had some in the past had some TA's give us quotes that specified that their own OBC would be non-refundable. Why they would state that I cannot say, but I am quite sure that is what we have been told by several TA's in the past.

For example, this is from the email for our recently booked cruise for June 2020 where one of the competing TA’s provided this information about what she could offer us *above and beyond* any RCCL promotions: “To clarify, for the Owner’s Suite we would only be able offer $520 in OBC that is non-refundable.”

6 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I understand that you wish to be helpful, but in this case I was not asking about it this issue here but only responding to someone's comment about it.  We cruise often and I understand how it works. To be clear, I was referring to the TA's OBC and that fact that we have had some in the past had some TA's give us quotes that specified that their own OBC would be non-refundable. Why they would state that I cannot say, but I am quite sure that is what we have been told by several TA's in the past.

For example, this is from the email for our recently booked cruise for June 2020 where one of the competing TA’s provided this information about what she could offer us *above and beyond* any RCCL promotions: “To clarify, for the Owner’s Suite we would only be able offer $520 in OBC that is non-refundable.”

Just because the TA is offering OBC that they say is non refundable doe not mean that they are taking it back which they cannot do.  They are simply claiming pass through OBC provided by Royal as their own. If you don’t use it Royal keeps it, not the TA.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just because the TA is offering OBC that they say is non refundable doe not mean that they are taking it back which they cannot do.  They are simply claiming pass through OBC provided by Royal as their own. If you don’t use it Royal keeps it, not the TA.

Don't bother, Ken... I know you wish to be helpful, but they don't wish to believe us.  :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

@brillohead 

I don’t wish to argue, honestly I can’t imagine my small comment was an issue for anyone. I didn’t put the entire email or send other communications on this issue hoping that you might give me the benefit of the doubt on having a modicum of intelligence and experience (even if not up for frequent posting).  But the promo from RCL was entirely different and the obc from the quote was not part of the RCL package I can assure you. But having said that I will end my part of this and let you assume me simply ignorant if that is the only option that will bring contentment.

Edited by AlohaLivin

5 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

@brillohead 

I don’t wish to argue, honestly I can’t imagine my small comment was an issue for anyone. I didn’t put the entire email or send other communications on this issue hoping that you might give me the benefit of the doubt on having a modicum of intelligence and experience (even if not up for frequent posting).  But the promo from RCL was entirely different and the obc from the quote was not part of the RCL package I can assure you. But having said that I will end my part of this and let you assume me simply ignorant if that is the only option that will bring contentment.

As a TA I can tell you that there are multiple different types of OBC.  As a consumer you only see what is listed by Royal as a promo and what your TA is telling you is from them.  In reality that OBC from your TA  is again further subdivided into OBC that is coming directly from them (out of their commission) and other OBC that is given to the TA by Royal to pass through to the consumer.

In no way am I  questioning your intelligence because you are commenting on the information that your TA provided you but your TA did not provide you all the information.

I was only sharing information to allow you to understand the differences and the fact that TA’s do not get back OBC that is not used.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In no way am I  questioning your intelligence because you are commenting on the information that your TA provided you but your TA did not provide you all the information.

I was only sharing information to allow you to understand the differences and the fact that TA’s do not get back OBC that is not used.

Hopefully your wish to be helpful will be accepted ... no reason for this to have been controversial!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, Host Clarea said:

Anything you buy onboard, VOOM, shops, spa, etc. 

And just double checking because I'm unsure if I'll even get any; but if there is any unused OBC from a TA, will that be refunded to me at the end of the cruise or do I just lose it?