Least Favorite Ship

57eric

I recall some past threads where it seemed that the Island Princess was the consensus least favorite Princess ship.  Is this still the case?  It certainly has some quality itineraries.

Thanks.

Be prepared for some shade-throwing at Island.  Have not been on all ships so IDK which would be my least favorite.  I would not hesitate to book Island for a great itinerary, but given it and another Princess ship doing the same thing for the same price, I'd probably go for the other ship.  The Atrium area is small on older ships.  We enjoyed Island for a trip around South America.  Would do it again in a proverbial "NY minute".

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

It is so subjective.

Many people write that this class of Princess ship is their favorite.

I have not tried 90K tons ships of Princess, but on all other companies they are usually favorite or closer to favorite .

Basically, my least favorite ship is the one I'm NOT on.  

I've said it before, I mostly can't tell them apart.  Let's see, the Royal is bigger, the Grand is older.  Was that the Star or the Ruby we were on for our last Alaska cruise?  Maybe it was the Sapphire.  I guess I could dig out all my cruise cards (yep, still have them) and check.

Is it clean, is it functional?  Does it have Trivia and great shows?  Does it have a cabin, food and is it going where I want to go for a price I can pay?  Well, alrighty then.  Count me in.

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

The butchering of the aft of the ship to eliminate a public room and open deck space in order to install more staterooms, increasing the number of guests, is the reason I eliminated Island Princess from any consideration for my recently completed Alaskan cruise.  I won't consider her for any future Princess cruise for the same reasons.

35 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Regal was my least favorite Princess ship.

Regal is definitely our favorite Princess ship (along with her sister the Royal).  Disliked the Caribbean Princess  due to its claustrophobic and depressing Piazza. Can't wait for the Sky and the Enchanted. The bigger the better ;o)

• Like 1

The Island gets bad reviews because of the additional 200+ passengers that were added when she was remodeled.  That came at the cost of some public space and without any additional dining space.  That leaves the Coral as the more popular ship of this class.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Regal is definitely our favorite Princess ship (along with her sister the Royal).  Disliked the Caribbean Princess  due to its claustrophobic and depressing Piazza. Can't wait for the Sky and the Enchanted. The bigger the better ;o)

Hate the Royal but love the Regal. It's not so much the ship obviously but it's staff. Royal has issues from the top down. 

Majestic Princess. I'm not a fan of the Royal class ships at the best of times but Majestic just doesn't work in the Australian region fir us. The pseudo-Crooners was sterile and uncomfortable and has TV screens showing sport all around it - not what I expect in piano bar. The MDR service was the worst I've ever experienced (but the service in the Piazza bar and Crown Grill bar was excellent). The French restaurant was terrible and overpriced (but Harmony was great). No promenade deck, like all that class. The Hollywood Observatory was noisy and had very limited seating. We also had not one but two of the worst cabin stewards ever (they changed mid-cruuse) and we were only on a six night cruise, thank goodness.

• Like 1

We've only been on the Diamond and Crown so far and had a blast on both ships. So I guess our answer would be none as of right now.

But I have to say with all the Princess ships fleet-wide (except for maybe the Pacific) having a CD with 5-6 assistants, tons of things to do on sea days, good quality food that doesn't give us heartburn like some other luxury lines, mini-suites at very affordable prices when compared to the other lines, and military and shareholder benefit OBC we can use to prebook excursions, right now I have to say we're only feeling positive vibes when planning for our upcoming cruises on the Island, Coral, Crown and Enchanted Princess ships. 

But, who knows, maybe we'll have a different opinion in a few years from now. Hope not.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

So far the Regal is definitely our least favorite ship and most of that is due to the lack of accomodation for mobility challenged passengers.  We love the Explorers Lounge on other ships, but really dislike Princess Live. There is no place to park in Princess Live on a scooter without blocking the view of people behind you - luckily the theater was usually fairly empty on our last cruise so it wasn't too much of a problem for us to park way off to the side. 

Same issue in the main Princess Theater - we have become accustomed to sitting at the very top/rear of the theater where we can sit on our scooters but on the Regal there's an extra seating space at the top of deck 7 - so we always felt we were blocking the view of people behind us, but we had no alternative.

The buffet was great, but we've decided to avoid this class of ships - which will leave more room for those who prefer this class!