Cruise planner refund not showing up on Credit Card -Mystery solved

I see posts occasionally about refunds getting lost between Royal and Credit card companies and I thought I would share my story in case it happens to someone else.

Background

I booked this years Presidents cruise when I was on it last year.  My husband and I booked a suite and it was non-refundable deposit. 

Fast forward to right before final payment..  My father has some major medical issues and his life expectancy was not known. Since the cruise had been booked so long ago, I could not get insurance for his pre-existing condition if he took a turn and went on hospice and I needed to be in town, so I cancelled the cruise and received a Future cruise credit minus the 100 per person.  I simply did not want to risk the high premium price  I paid for this cruise.

I also had bought the dining plan in the cruise planner.  I received an email, cancelling that and I was to get a refund for the dining package.  It should show up in 5-7 days.  This was July 27th.  

Today is August 18th and no refund.

Called Royal Diamond plus desk and was told the refund went out on July 30th.  I told them it wasn't in my statement.  They told me to call my big box ta and credit card company.

Called Royal Caribbean customer service and was told the refund went out on July 30th.

Called CC company and was told nothing pending.

Called TA who said -no they do not receive refunds of cruise planner purchases but he would talk to a supervisor.  I said don't worry I will ask for help on Royal's social media account

Tweeted RC Social Media and they responded they were looking into it.

TA calls me back and he looked into it after we hung up and says

(Mystery solved)

They coded the UDP as non-refundable and it was never sent to the credit card company. They are re sending it.

RC Social Media messages back and said the same thing.

Hopefully this post came help someone else along the way.  Lesson learned, RC social media teams can get things resolved.

"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks for posting.  Based on this I would cancel everything in the cruise planner first and then cancel the cruise.

I thought about doing that, but then I thought if they cancelled it, I would not run into the refund dilemma.  silly me!  

If I have to cancel anything again, I will cancel before cancelling a cruise.  Also to note that I had purchased the Ultimate dining plan which got converted to the Unlimited dining plan.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

In our modern world the twitter and Facebook pages seem to get a lot more attention than the actual proper channels.  We were delayed on a flight once and missing our connection would mean missing half the cruise due to the Jones Act.  We tweeted to American Airlines and RC and they actually held the 2nd flight for us as we were running through the airport.

it is amazing what the # will do