Rip off Shuttle Bus charges in Corfu Celebrity Infinity

LEESRE

Any one going on Celebrity Infinity in the near future and going to Corfu, DON'T take the shuttle bus Celebrity are charging 12 dollars per head for the bus.

Just go to the port and get a taxi cost 10 euros for 4 people and much more civilized 

I think this is a total RIP OFF by Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like some up-front planning and research would have thwarted this situation or not...

A rip-off to me would be when there are no other options available, alas you found one.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bo put it more politely than I would have. Your lack of advance research, and the fact that alternatives exist, does not constitute a rip off by X. Simply over pricing,  which is usually a given for any of their ship excursions or transfers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes the price of transfers is set by Celebrity, or the Port Authority, or a private bus company. If one investigates options prior to their cruise they are less likely to have complaints after the cruise. Cruise Critic is full of information on Ports of Call and transportation. Roll Calls are also a great source of information!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Formerly known as Seabee said:

Y’all are being pretty tough on the OP who has in fact provided an excellent source of info for others who are doing just what you are criticizing him for not doing...investigating options. Thanks Leesre for providing this info.

I Am willing to bet that many of us are 'being pretty tough' at the choice of words in the subject line.

AND for myself, understanding that X frequently has no control over pricing except on its' vessels, to blame X for pricing is just wrong, just very wrong.

To this end, I apologize to the OP since they may be new to cruising and do not understand that some 'basic' research even here on CC would go a long way to help in avoiding such atrocity, as experienced, even though there are some passengers who may not mind using the buses which X sold passage on regardless of cost.

Again, My Apology and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

This happens in more ports than you think - Victoria, BC comes to mind. The shuttle bus was $11.00 per person round trip when we were there a few months ago. The downtown core is easily walkable, or a cab for 4 people is probably $10.00. Same thing in Juneau, Alaska when we were there last - the shuttle bus was $4.00 pp (I think) and we ended up walking back to the ship because it was fairly close (for us).

I do agree that each port should be researched as much as possible to avoid scenarios like this and the feeling of being cheated/ripped off. Also, I think when people see a line up, they "fall into line" rather than explore other less expensive options. 😉

• Like 1

We certainly walked, as many others did, and it was an extremely pleasant, easy walk.  If we had taken a taxi or shuttle we would have missed the beautiful sights around the bay.  A lot of people though enjoy the security of a bus that will drop them off and be there to take them back to the ship.

The shuttle price of $ 12 is for a roundtrip. Tax is 10 Euros oneway which is 24 Euros for 2 compared to $20 (ignoring tip and getting a taxi and so on). And yes, if I get or have another couple with me, that saves, but I have to coordinate with others. Not exactly a rip off. Just a bit more expensive. Kind of like Ship Tours and Private Tours. 

Your favorite Cruise Line is Seaborne and you are complaining about  $24 shuttle and at today’s currently rate a $22 taxi??? Got it. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Before the "Modern Luxury" days, a shuttle to a town centre was included at no cost.

In some ports, Naples comes to mind, Galaxy was moored right at the station.

Another time it was within walking distance but port rules did not allow walking.

Taxis refused to take anyone for less than 50 Euros for a basic fare and Celebrity was 10 Euros pp.

Frequent cruising and memories sometimes get in the way of labeling charges as anything but great capitalism.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Or just walk 🙂    it's a flat, less than 15 minute walk to the town.  

How nice if we all could. I need to save my energy to sightsee so riding there and back is a necessity for me. 

Re the cost, I think many people don’t want to be bothered getting a taxi or arranging their own transport so I think the Celebrity cost is reasonable.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sheffield said:

How nice if we all could. I need to save my energy to sightsee so riding there and back is a necessity for me. 

Re the cost, I think many people don’t want to be bothered getting a taxi or arranging their own transport so I think the Celebrity cost is reasonable.

It’s ‘reasonable’ because it’s handy and it’s what you want to use. It’s not reasonable if you think a $2 or $4 difference with another option is not acceptable.  Whatever.  

Den

2 hours ago, sheffield said:

I realize that not everyone is able to walk, :)  just pointing out there are lots of options as long as you do a little pre travel research.  Happy sailing to you

• Thanks 1

In some countries there are significant risks in taking taxis - a proliferation of unlicensed taxis, lack of regulation of taxis, taxi drivers and their vehicles, taxis with meters that don't work or the driver is reluctant to switch on, taxi drivers who either want to take you on a "scenic detour" or try to persuade you that the place you want to go to is closed.  In some places it is all of these!  Bangkok comes to mind - there I would happily pay the extra for a organised coach or hotel limo to avoid the aggravation.

Edited by DYKWIA

A similar thing to be aware of that on the same trip was the water shuttle to St Marks in Venice. All I can say is that it was the Ryan air of shuttles................after we had paid we were told that the drop off was ‘ just four bridges away’ from St Marks square. The price of the shuttle was only 2€ more expensive than the public water bus, so no real difference, and it didn’t stop anywhere else on the way.

It wasn’t a problem for us, but my sister who has MS found the walk a little challenging and on the return trip we encountered a family where due to mobility issues the Dad hadn’t managed the walk.

If you have walking issues I would stick to the public water bus that drops you much closer.

Regards Debbie

16 hours ago, Formerly known as Seabee said:

Y’all are being pretty tough on the OP who has in fact provided an excellent source of info for others who are doing just what you are criticizing him for not doing...investigating options. Thanks Leesre for providing this info.

I agree and thought the same thing as I read responses ... ouch ... but that happens a lot here and tone in written words sting more than verbal. I personally appreciate information like this too. 

One could challenge the 'rip off' language but what is the purpose of saying you could walk .... wow why didn't the OP think of that...  or that basic research would help?  Even with research, the cost is the cost and a word to others about such costs is appreciated (perhaps with better subject title).   Responses to say the Celebrity cost was actually return was of great value though as that definitely paints a different picture though perhaps I am reading it wrong but it sounds like the taxi was total $10 for the 4 people and not $10 pp so that would make the difference more than $2-$4 as some have noted?

• Like 2

I was on this sailing as well. Another important thing to point out in addition to the round trip cost comparison is that many taxis will refuse the $10 fare into town - they are hoping to take passengers on a tour or more expensive journey to a beach and will refuse the lower fare. We heard others complain that they had difficulty and felt the drivers were rude when they tried to get a ride just into town. We had a pick up for a private excursion in the morning and had no trouble finding a taxi to bring us back to the ship from old town close to the on board time when the chance of higher fares was slim. 

• Thanks 1

When we used to cruise celebrity they did provide free shuttles. It was a good business practice and a courtesy to passengers who spent a lot of money. 

I remember in South America how there were constant free shuttles. Yes that was awhile ago, but the change is this company is unfortunate. That is why for the same amount of money you can cruise all inclusive on Crystal or other luxury lines. I hate this protective Celebrity attitude. 

‘’This costs the company little, but no..it is a constant charge for everything. I know there are new cruisers who don’t notice it, but when Celebrity had a nice product which which set Celebrity above the mass market the business model was nice.

unfortunatly greed set in. 

• Like 3

WOW! WOW!

I did not expect abuse by saying about the charges perhaps I should have not put RIP OFF.

But how do people know if I am not disabled and could not walk to Corfu town, please do not assume.

I did expect Bo1953 to side with Celebrity but then he did apologise. Thanks.

For information there were 6 of us and the round trip by Celebrity would have been 72 dollars.

Taxis were available in the cruise terminal for 10 Euros therefore a round trip cost 20 Euros. There was no problem with the taxi drivers in fact they were very accommodating and very pleasant.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, perhaps the other people would wish us to post only the good things about their favorite cruise lines.

Enough said I only wish I had not bothered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

WOW! WOW!

I did not expect abuse by saying about the charges perhaps I should have not put RIP OFF.

But how do people know if I am not disabled and could not walk to Corfu town, please do not assume.

I did expect Bo1953 to side with Celebrity but then he did apologise. Thanks.

For information there were 6 of us and the round trip by Celebrity would have been 72 dollars.

Taxis were available in the cruise terminal for 10 Euros therefore a round trip cost 20 Euros. There was no problem with the taxi drivers in fact they were very accommodating and very pleasant.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, perhaps the other people would wish us to post only the good things about their favorite cruise lines.

Enough said I only wish I had not bothered.

For one, I Am happy you did bother as it gave pause to think about the situation...

bon voyage

• Like 2