Suggestion on what to do in Warnemunde, Germany for one day??

Warnemunde is a nice little seaside town.  You can walk along the river to the lighthouse and there is a beach there.  You can rent bicycles and do the area from a local shop about a block in town from train station. The Molli Train to Bad Doberan is nice if you are in to mini steam trains.   There is Schwerin Castle about an hours train ride from Warnemunde, where you can walk around and have a nice tea in the garden.  There is Wismar which is a Unesco town because of its Brick Gothic buildings, as well a Medieval churches and tucked away somewhere is a Roman Bath ruin.  There is a lot in the area. 

For an extensive look at what to do there is a great website https://travelanni.webs.com/

Anni used to post here and lived in the area.  She has broken things down by city in the area and how to get there using public transport. 

If you berth directly in Warnemunde you are only steps away from the train station.  At Rostock you'll have to get a shuttle.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 2

If you cruise itinerary says your port is “Warnemuende”, then you will be docked close to town.  If your itinerary says “Rostock”, then you are at some distance from Warnemuende (and hopefully your cruise ship is offering transportation.) 

In any event, on our Baltic cruise, we spent half of our time bicycling from Warnemuende into the countryside.  There is a great bicycle trail that hugs the coastline and you can get some nice views along the way.  There are a couple of bike rental shops in Warnemuende that will get you set up. (Check before you go if your passport is required for a rental—ours were.)   After our ride, we had fish sandwiches in Warnemuende and walked around a little before catching the train (S-Bahn) to Rostock to tour the Stasi Prison Museum and to walk through the pedestrian shopping area. 

I assume you will have a long stay in Warnemuende for those passengers who are doing the day trip to Berlin.  If so, you’ve got plenty of time for both Warnemuende and Rostock if you so desire.

• Like 1

There are several options, like going to Schwerin, but we did this.

Walked from the ship to the bus stop (about 10 mins), got the bus to Bad Doberan which drops you by the Molli train (google it). Got the train to Kuhlungsborn West (travelling through streets at times), walked along the beach to Kuhlingsborn East (stopped at one of the beach cafes for lunch), train back to Bad Doberan, crossed the platform to get the local train to Rostock. Got the tram from Rostock into the town and walked around, tram back to Rostock, train back to Warnemunde, 10 minute walk to ship...collapse at bar for well earned drink or three! A great day out for under $30 each (plus food).

If you want to know details, drop me an e mail for my 'how to do it' sheet.

Simon

• Like 2

We walked by the river  where there were a lot of food and souvenir kiosks. Then we walked further more-Warnemunde is easy to do on your own, and it doesn't matter where you go, it's just a gorgeous place. After walking and exploring we got to a Greek restaurant that was right on the beach. The food was delicious and was a great ending to our stay in Warnemunde. There is nice pub as soon as you get in town where you can stop for a beer on the way back to the ship.

Hi,

we just came back from the Serenade and visited Warnemünde, too.

There ist just a 5 minute walk to the railway station, which takes you to Rostock Main Station. There you can switch to Tram 5 with direction Mecklenburger Allee. You can get out at Station Steintor IHK. This is next to the market place and the cathedral. From there it is just a little walk to the pedestrian zone. When you walk there to the harbour area, you can catch a passenger ferry back to Warnemünde.

We also took the local train and the tram  into Rostock, returned to the ship by the same transport, had lunch onboard then enjoyed a lovely afternoon exploring Warnemunde. So easy to access, go through the railway station and you are there.

As above, it is a scenic little town with pretty coloured cottages and some narrow streets in addition to the beach and lovely to stroll around.

It was one of our easiest and most enjoyable DIY days on our itinerary.

Info and photos on Tripadvisor and others.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

Warnemunde is a nice little seaside town.  You can walk along the river to the lighthouse and there is a beach there.  You can rent bicycles and do the area from a local shop about a block in town from train station. The Molli Train to Bad Doberan is nice if you are in to mini steam trains.   There is Schwerin Castle about an hours train ride from Warnemunde, where you can walk around and have a nice tea in the garden.  There is Wismar which is a Unesco town because of its Brick Gothic buildings, as well a Medieval churches and tucked away somewhere is a Roman Bath ruin.  There is a lot in the area. 

For an extensive look at what to do there is a great website https://travelanni.webs.com/

Anni used to post here and lived in the area.  She has broken things down by city in the area and how to get there using public transport. 

If you berth directly in Warnemunde you are only steps away from the train station.  At Rostock you'll have to get a shuttle.

The travelanni website is terrific!! Going next year and couldn't decide what to do. So helpful, thanks!

Hello, Warnemünde with all its beautifully gestored building is wonderful. Promenades, beaches, ports.... and the nearby train station allows a short trip to the Rostock city center, which has so much to offer. You'll have a perfect day here. Traveling to Berlin would be too short and too stressful for me, because Berlin is always good for an entire week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostock

We docked in Rostock last week because there were 2 ships in Warnemünde. We spent the morning in Rostock and took the train to Warnemünde in the afternoon . Warnemünde was a gong show with wall to wall people along the Alta Strom to the beach promenade. It was worse than walking down a Disneyland midway. Rostock was much quieter with more sights to see. I don’t regret going to Warnemünde but don’t make that your only impression of Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

First time we were there, we did a tour that visited Schwerin as well as Rostock and Warnemunde. (It was okay, but pretty quiet as it was a Sunday.) This last time, we visited Rostock again on a Sunday in the middle of a long and port-intensive itinerary, so we visited the Rostock Zoo in the morning and then the seals at the Marine Science Centre in the afternoon:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2692888-warnemunderostock-seal-encounter/

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, scottie cruiser said:

I have never been to Warnemunde, Germany before.

For those who have been to Warnemunde before, what did you do there for the day??

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome 
😊

Also do we docked near Warnemunde or a long way from it?? 

Just returned from a Baltic/St Petersburg Regal Princess cruise Aug 21/28.  One of our port was Wurnemunde.  Had an independent tour with friendsofdavetour.com.  Christian was our tour guide.  You'd enjoy the tour!

• Like 1

If you don't want to go to Berlin, you've got a good long day to see things nearby. There is at least one tour company that offers a local tour, including Warnemunde, Wismar, and Schwerin. I loved Wismar. I imagine that your ship will offer some local excursions as well. You could also using public transport to do much of this on your own, if you're so inclined. In Warnemunde, the ship docks within an easy walk to the train station.

If you want to be super relaxed, just wander around Warnemunde. If it's a nice day, there's a beach where you can rent a nifty chair and just relax, then get back on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet until the hordes return from Berlin!

• 1 month later...

I’ve been to Warnemunde two times. The first time we walked along the river, enjoyed the beach, rented bikes for a short ride.  We really relaxed and enjoyed that day as we were very lucky with the weather.  On my second visit we went to Berlin. It was a long day. I think it was about 3 hour in a bus  each way to be in Berlin for about 5 or 5,5 hours. But it was extremely interesting. I’m happy I managed to convince my DH to sign for that tour 😊 If I ever return to Warnemunde again I will go to see Schwerin Castle.
Jess

• 1 month later...

We have done a Baltic cruise 2 times now. The first time we docked in Warnemunde, such a nice place to just walk around. But the second time, we were docked in Rostock.... and boy, we were lucky. The Hanse Sail was in full swing. There was a big crowd, lots of places to have a drink to watch those majestic big sailing boats come by. We had such a wonderful time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

It's important to avoid sharing personal information on the boards, including your private email addresses. That is why the email addresses are disabled within the text field. As we know, the internet can be an interesting place sometimes, and while Cruise Critic is always a safe place, you never know. Guarding your contact information is always important to us.

You have the ability to send each other private messages. Scroll up to the top, right side of the Cruise Critic website, locate your CC member name and locate the envelope icon; click it to write a message. Simply @_________ (<------enter member name) in the To: field and begin typing your message in the text box.

You might need to update your personal member settings to allow personal messages to be sent to you. You will not receive any messages from Cruise Critic in your private message box. 

We love that you share info to help each other enjoy your travels. Thanks for being the world's greatest travel community! 🙂 

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

You have the ability to send each other private messages. Scroll up to the top, right side of the Cruise Critic website, locate your CC member name and locate the envelope icon; click it to write a message. Simply @_________ (<------enter member name) in the To: field and begin typing your message in the text box.

I believe that you have that ability as a host. When I click on the envelope icon, then on the Compose Message button, I get the message "This feature is disabled."